SD - Santiago high speed train!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Please keep the topic to the train, no politics or personal innuendos...

This thread was started here:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/76923-train-route-santo-dgo-santiago.html

But due to off topic posting got closed!!!

Keep it on the ball~~~

All this from a SD - Santiago train!!!! LOL!!

Back to topic, sans the political crescendo and hypothetical corruption out of control in contrast to the entire world...

A good question and debate would be: Should the gov pay more attention to the two main cities and coastal's tourism enclaves first, or as planned, link the cities via the airports regardless of size or affordability in regards to distance and logical geography patterns?

If we aim for the markets that will afford the best flow to sustain the initial investment, aren't we in a way discriminating against the minorities in the process?

As planned, the initial link would be SDQ - STI, later SDQ - LMR, STI - POP, LMR - PUJ and so on...

Given the fact that neither LMR or PUJ are aimed/planned to see a local Metro using gov blueprints, will it be best to focus on the provinces still underserved but growing in the interior of the country not seeded with tourism infrastructures?

After SD Metro is populated with the first 6 or 7 lines, Santiago will be the next on line. From there on, the initial assessment is to have the system grow from Santiago to the other cities.

The el Sol street in Santiago will be changed into a restaurant/shopping district. But will retain all the charm of the architecture that blazes the streets today. As such the Metro will serve only the named street and one other in the Casco Urbano Historico of the city. The remainder and bulk of the Santiago Metro will focus on the growth the city is experiencing as of today.

The Metro for other cities will in fact be based on planning of further development and a set limit to the extension of city limits (something foreign to local authorities today).

Cities will be prodded to vertical growth when horizontal expansion is severely curtailed to protect our green areas. Horizontal expansion represents a challenge and vast waste of public resources in contrast; vertical growth reduces the work to upgrades and improvements of the systems in use to the benefit of all within the city limits.

The Metro system is not just that, but a bigger project that affects other components within the areas it services. Roads, traffic, congestion, population concentration, commercial/residential areas, etc... All these will be affected by such works.

The SD - Santiago high speed train will be no less impacting as it develops in the areas it services. Commerce will be addressed in new ways and entire routes will essentially be declared for commercial use only, separating private/public transportation from the commercial one.

The creation of specific lanes for traffic is one of the issues that the high speed trains will address commonly with other factors.

Mass transit is not only good and economically sound for private/public transportation but also for the commercial industry, where it holds a bigger impact.

When you cut the time that goods travel from the source to the end retailer, the effect is felt immediately as the retailers would be able to cut deep into huge inventories that sit idle. The flow of commerce will be more attune with the reality of supply and demand, not vice versa...

The SD Metro infrastructure is capable of handling both, public mass transportation during day hours and commercial traffic during the nights with the ability to field the commercial rolling stock to meet the needs of industry.

The same goes for the high speed system in the planning stages...

Trucking will be relegated to a feeding/branching support only, not as the primary artery of commercial traffic.

I know the implications of such planning seem big and very hard to accomplish (believe you me, they are) but the pay out is too grand to pass on it.

Once the goods are moved at late night hours, the resulting schedule will aid the local unemployment rate to drop, since major employers will need to create a new shift to re-stock their shelves as such.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Pichardo,

Are we discussing theories or has any mention of a SDQ - STI metro been made in the Dominican media?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The ground work is taking place already! The rail path is being studied and planned...

The actual work will be lengthening fast once the plans get the positive nod to go ahead. The investors are lined up, rail materials lists already padding up and train cars being actively negotiated and future yards under royalties pursued with evil eyes...

No legal activity will take place before the new term is officially inaugurated :-( , but the entire project will only need the fresh seal of approval to start the engines...

The DR will become a model for years to come to other LA countries looking to deal with their transportation problems and congestion clogging their development.

As such we are getting the best models with all bells and whistles the rail companies can offer, at the best rates.

People with no knowledge of the car's technologies we purchased from Almston keep comparing the once bought by China and other countries to ours. Let me be clear on this:

The Metropolis cars that the DR purchased from Almston are the ones with the kitchen sink included and then some! The complete system is able to be run from a command center with no human interaction within the cars at all. Even at the command center level, the programming and fail safe system can operate the entire lines with precision speeds and accuracy to 0.1 inch on the tracks.

Not even the Spanish or any other Metro from Almston of this model and system is set up like the SD Metro! We got the best they could offer, while allowing Almston to use our system as a model to their company's benefit to others potential clients.

Stop the "We paid twice or thrice as much"! We paid for the top of the line "tecnologia de punta" available for the next decades today. The SD Metro is capable of running car sets so close to each other during peak hours that NASCAR will seem to be a kid's runabout in the tracks.

We can expand the system capabilities without having to invest a dime in the initial infrastructure of the Metro. On-call and on-demand as need it!

The high speed trains will be the best technology today for years to come.
If we are to address the actual energy crisis and lack of national fossil fuels, the mass transit system will be pivotal point to do so. Energy output will be increase exponentially via wind farms, Ethanol run plants, Hydro power ratio enhancements, Solar power generators and anything that will provide the country the freedom from oil and imported energy sources...

We must start not only by creating new sources of the aforementioned energy plans, but while reducing our foreign energy needs as well in big numbers.

If you need a tangible start date, look no further than right after the new term is officially inaugurated. WBTW will be a time of new project disclosures to the country!!!!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Pichardo,

Are we discussing theories or has any mention of a SDQ - STI metro been made in the Dominican media?

No theories here; yes the SD - Santiago high speed train has already gotten media coverage both in the national level and international print.

The SDQ - STI (airport to airport) description comes from my personal knowledge of plans as discussed at length in reunions.

The SDQ and STI references are the actual terminals that will see the high speed train operations there. Unlike some believe that new terminals will be used to link directly to the already existent SD Metro within the city of SD.

Need any media report links on the SD - Santiago high speed trains posted here to clear theories from actual disclosure snippets from the gov???

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
If you don't mind post a couple of links referencing the story. Do not copy and past the story. Just the links.

Thanks.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I said it in the other thread and I am going to repeat it here, such a project should be made in phases and phase 1 should be a high speed train Santo Domingo - Boca Chica (linking SDQ airport and ITLA), and then take off from there.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The ground work is taking place already! The rail path is being studied and planned...

1. Pichardo, ground breaking means the actual start date of construction - when is that proposed?

2. I understand you say there are major international firms involved, could you name them?

3. Also, are there any local firms working on the studies, or has it been farmed out (ie granted) to international consultants?

4. You told me demographics nor existing and propsed traffic impacts studies proposed yet you say the path is being studied, I can assure you as an engineer this is part of the "study" process - any links would be appreciated.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
"We are going to make a very small HVT from Santiago to Santo Domingo," Fernandez said according to the agency EFE."

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...ces-investments-of-37B-euros-in-tourism-train

"One of the proposed projects, Martinez said, is by Spanish investors who seek to build a high speed train between the capital Santo Domingo and Santiago, which is in the study phase, and doesn’t require government spending.

President Leonel Fernandez first announced the high-speed train project in his recent tour of Europe, where he also met with Spanish investors interested in his country’s thriving tourism industry."

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...re-than-US2B-in-foreign-investments-this-year

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
1. Pichardo, ground breaking means the actual start date of construction - when is that proposed?

2. I understand you say there are major international firms involved, could you name them?

3. Also, are there any local firms working on the studies, or has it been farmed out (ie granted) to international consultants?

4. You told me demographics nor existing and propsed traffic impacts studies proposed yet you say the path is being studied, I can assure you as an engineer this is part of the "study" process - any links would be appreciated.

#1 - Your guess is as good as mine, and I sit at most meetings where things get debated and discussed with Dominican passion...

#2 - Almston is the biggest one and the others will not be named until contracts have been reached, but you can pretty much get the idea that most of the ones doing the work at SD Metro will be used for it as well.

#3 - Local firms doing the studies already:
Grupo Modesto, Equipos Central, Atteco (Acutaciones tecnologicas y construcciones) among other national companies hired.

Equipos Central is doing much of the Santiago studies and Atteco on the SD side. Modesto is charting possible solutions to geographical obstructions within the city limits.

#4 - In the DR what's followed in other foreign studies is not the case...

If you can get a link to the SD Metro TODAY you'll be one lucky son of a gun! Whatever gives the idea that any further information will be disclosed on the high speed train now????

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
"We are going to make a very small HVT from Santiago to Santo Domingo," Fernandez said according to the agency EFE."

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...ces-investments-of-37B-euros-in-tourism-train

"One of the proposed projects, Martinez said, is by Spanish investors who seek to build a high speed train between the capital Santo Domingo and Santiago, which is in the study phase, and doesn’t require government spending.

President Leonel Fernandez first announced the high-speed train project in his recent tour of Europe, where he also met with Spanish investors interested in his country’s thriving tourism industry."

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...re-than-US2B-in-foreign-investments-this-year

Thanks for the response.

It appears they have major financial backing would would appear promising as it would imply that maybe limited government funds would be necessary. It would be helpful to "sell" the project if they really could emphasize this more.

Like I stated before Pichardo, whether you realize it or not I'm sure with these type of players a fullblown demographic and traffic study of the affected areas has been commissioned if not completed. I have worked with many international investors before and with some quite wealthy ones as well and I can assure you they didn't get where they are today by guessing about profits, trust me.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The CEI-RD director, in a statement posted on the official Web site cig.gov.do.........the link is not working. Site temporarily unavailable? Is there an alternate?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
This is about the SD metro's second phase but related.

#3 - Local firms doing the studies already:
Grupo Modesto, Equipos Central, Atteco (Acutaciones tecnologicas y construcciones) among other national companies hired.

News about ATTECO was out back in March of this year. Things were very hush hush. The word used in the article was "hermetico" which loosely translates to "watertight". My question is why all the mystery when its so obvious whats going down. Comical...:paranoid:

SANTO DOMINGO. En medio de un total hermetismo oficial y de la empresa que lo ejecuta, se iniciaron el pasado jueves los trabajos de levantamiento topogr?ficos para recabar las informaciones sobre las condiciones del terreno en las cinco v?as que atravesar? la segunda l?nea del metro que conectar? a Los Alcarrizos, en el noroeste de la ciudad, con San Luis, en el municipio San Domingo Este.

Trabajan en segunda l?nea del metro - DiarioLibre.com

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Another article about train from SD to Santiago.......

ROMA, Italia.- El presidente de la Rep?blica Dominicana, Leonel Fern?ndez, anunci? este mi?rcoles que su Gobierno estudia la posibilidad de construir una l?nea de Metro que comunique a Santo Domingo con la ciudad de Santiago, bajo el modelo de intervenci?n de los sectores p?blico y privado.
trans:
"President of the DR Leonel Fernandez announced this Wednesday(June 4th 2008) that his government will study the possibility of the construction of a metro connecting SD with the city of Santiago, under the model of the public and private sectors."

News was published a little over a month ago.

Leonel anuncia estudia posibilidad de construir l?*nea Metro SD-Santiago

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The studies for the second line in SD were done last year!!! LOL!!! Talk about watertight and misleading!!! LOL!!!

The equipment being used for the studies and tracing of the line is rather easy to spot along the Autopista Duarte as of later. Expect no such thing in proximity to STI as the terrain has been studied plenty enough and the data there is solidly filed for the line.

The only thing that I see major complications with is that the commercial line will branch out towards Haina before it reaches the main SD metro area. The talk is that two different sets of systems will be used to transport commercial loads. One for Haina port and industrial zone and the other to link into SD Metro to main SD via SDQ.

I'm trying to see if somebody holds a map tracing the route but no cigars yet.

Nothing is going to be let out before the new term is inaugurated later this year...

The high speed train is not going to be funded solely by private investors, but the bulk of it. The DR's gov will take part in the construction as well, both actively and financially in the form of new bridges and upgrades in key parts of the line's route.

The actual train cars and systems is the part that the gov is making the "no cost" to the public coffers reference. Not the actual railing itself...

If you guys want to know what provided the international investors the confidence to work with the DR in big projects like these, and to trust that we could actually be more competitive and perform with quality under deadlines; please let me know and I will tell you here!!! It was one (1) major blunder from the opposition that led to it!! :laugh:!! At last! The opposition
l_eb851a8d3b3ae6b53ee5d41026a7f852.gif
in this country performs their duty by moving the administration in office to produce results (positive results)!

Want to know?:cheeky:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Tranv?a Santiago costar? US$300 MM

Ground braking for the Santiago metro is scheduled for the middle of 2009 with a cost of $300 million dollars. I'm sure that figure will fall by the way side as the cost increase.

SANTIAGO. La primera etapa del tranv?a el?ctrico a superficie que proyecta construir el ayuntamiento de este municipio en esta ciudad para mejorar el sistema de transporte de pasajeros y de carga tendr? un costo ascendente a los 200 millones de euros, equivalentes a unos US$300 millones.

Tranv?a Santiago costar? US$300 MM - DiarioLibre.com

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2004
So it is back in the news ..

SANTIAGO.- The route of the Santo Domingo-Santiago freight train, whose construction president Leonel Fernandez announced in September last year, will be presented November 25 in Santiago.

... Carrasco will explain the reaches of the railway system. The Haina-Santiago freight and passengers train will span 125 kilometers with stations in the subdivision Los Alcarrizos, and the central towns Villa Altagracia, Bonao and La Vega. It?s estimated that it can ply the entire route in 30 minutes.

Now if it is 125km long and takes 30 minutes to ply the entire route - that surely equates to 250km per hour? Is this such a good idea especially for a freight train - the cost of the safety measures will be huge.