Around the Coast Roadtrip in D.R?Possible?

jyfeliz

Feb 3, 2008
I am from the dominican republic, and I am a college student. I have a travel goal of traveling around the coast of D.R. I would want to start in Montecristi and end up Perdenales or Jimani, or vicerversa. However, I want to know if I am being realistic on the budget of this trip. It would be about 4-6 people(hopefully) and each would bring about 1000 USD, not counting the airflights.

Another problem I find, is that originially I wanted to rent a Van motorhome,such as this one:
Roadtrek_Motorhome_53_Large.jpg
, so that we wouldnt have to waste so much money in lodging. I cannot find these types of vans in D.R, not even the normal big Motorhomes.

I also know that the road system, could be a bit of a problem, but when i was researching, I saw it was possible to visit most of the beaches.

I want to know what you guys think in respect to my budget, and I want to hear any comments, and criticisms.

Also, can this be done in about 3 weeks, if not how long do you think?

Thanks in advance =]

JF

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am from the dominican republic, and I am a college student. I have a travel goal of traveling around the coast of D.R. I would want to start in Montecristi and end up Perdenales or Jimani, or vicerversa. However, I want to know if I am being realistic on the budget of this trip. It would be about 4-6 people(hopefully) and each would bring about 1000 USD, not counting the airflights.

Another problem I find, is that originially I wanted to rent a Van motorhome,such as this one:
Roadtrek_Motorhome_53_Large.jpg
, so that we wouldnt have to waste so much money in lodging. I cannot find these types of vans in D.R, not even the normal big Motorhomes.

I also know that the road system, could be a bit of a problem, but when i was researching, I saw it was possible to visit most of the beaches.

I want to know what you guys think in respect to my budget, and I want to hear any comments, and criticisms.

Also, can this be done in about 3 weeks, if not how long do you think?

Thanks in advance =]

JF
Never seen those vans and highly doubt they exist.
The ride along the coast is fantastic and very doable, but I don't know about the budget, as it will have to include lodging.
3 weeks is ample, btw.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Contact National, Alamo and Avis in the Dominican Republic. Ask what they charge for a full size van. Seats 12. Not sure how many can sleep in one. Gas is expensive. Enjoy.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Contact National, Alamo and Avis in the Dominican Republic. Ask what they charge for a full size van. Seats 12. Not sure how many can sleep in one. Gas is expensive. Enjoy.
I was thinking of something similar.
Take out enough seats to toss in a mattress. Rent one hotel room per night, allowing rotation and showering quarters.
It could be done, as long as everyone is good hearted and they all get along.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can go to Samana from Monte Cristi. Then you have to go inland, around the Haiteses National Park, and go to Sabana de la Mar and on down to Bavaro. Then you have to go inland again to la Romana and from there you can go to Pedernales.

I would suggest that you look at some posts relating to places like Palenque, Barahona, and Pedernales for cheap places to stay. You'll learn a lot.

I would suggest a good 4x4 SUV for traveling and hang out in places recommended by people here on DR1....There are lots of inexpensive places to stay.

HB

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
road trip ideas

I would rent an oversized SUV (expedition, surburban , tahoe) and stay in apart hotels or non resort type of hotels for sleep and showering. $6000.00 is more than enough for this trip and I would like to do this myself some day . You can also bring tents and a grill and ice cooler in some beaches (rio san juan, etc) It sounds like you are planning to rough it somewhat. Is it all guys?, do you have camping skills? Is staying at a dive to low class for you??
these are all things to consider.

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi Jyfeliz,

Sounds great, but do not forget to come in land sometime, and have a look...just do it

Have Fun

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
With an oversize Van your travel will be highly limited. There are a lot of places your Van cannot travel, as it will be too big for the road.

jyfeliz

Feb 3, 2008
Hey guys thanks for your responses,

first i was talking to my father about it and he also suggested i ditch the whole van idea, he told me to get more like a 4X4 jeep or somenthing. Rocky, that is a good idea! to put a matress inside, jeje. So far we only got three people and we get a long i hope the others do too, well i think its a must!

thurston, We sure will, as im planning I'm thinking of arriving in STI(santiago airport) and from there go to bonao(my hometown) and just relax and leave the next day and start in motecristi. ALthough Im not sure if I want to start in montecristi or start in lago enriquillo heading towards Pedernales. If we do finish the roadtrip with enough time or if we get TIRED of seeing beaches and stuff we will go more inland, but D.R is so diverse, that i hope that doesnt happen.
Two of us as far as im concerned have campings skills. But i think that is somenthing i must bring up to the others, that this is more a backpacking low budget trip, not a luxury Resort one. I dont have a problem staying even at hostels.

So you guys think the budget of 1, 000 USD per person if hopefuly 4-6 people come, is doable.

and where should i start lol

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
To sleep in a van???? thinking about the hot temperature,mosquitos, noisy motoconchos and the delincuency. no way to take a nap.
I tryed to sleep in my 12 pax. van many times when I drooped off my STI. Jet Blue custumer in Sosua, POP or Cabarete, becouse next day in the morning I had to pick up someone else in the same area. I had to stay awake playing with the mosquitos al night.

JJ.

jyfeliz

Feb 3, 2008
uh oh really, then we definitely have to stay at hotels right, I mean we can bring camping equipment, but im not sure how camping in D.R works. See i know that this budget is kind of low, but how about two people with a budget of lets say 3k. I am now worried, but I know that if more people come the less money we need to take, or am i mistaken?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
This used to be van, it come with reclinable seats, that give you the option to make a bed.
434862869.img.jpg

JJ.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's recap:
You will arrive at STI and go home to Bonao.
Okay, basically, you are in the middle of the island (the DR part anyway).
If you are also leaving from STI, I think the following:
1) Rent a good SUV right near the airport. Get all the insurance you can carry. (Check with your credit card company about what they cover)
2) From Bonao, drive out to Punta Cana, and see if you can't stay in VERON, the Dominican suburb of the B?varo-Punta Cana tourist area. It will be cheap.
3) Then drive north up around Miches, Sabana de la Mar.,
4) then to La Romana (no really interesting beaches there) and on to Juan Dolio. Nice beaches, and inexpensive accomodations available--just send a note to "Matilda" here in DR1..
4) Next day on to Palenque, San Cristobal--look up posts here on Palenque, really cool place and dirt cheap.
5) Continue on down to Bani, Azua, Barahona. DR1 can show you where the cheaper places to stay are. Definitely Bah?a de la Aguilas. and on to Pedernales.
6) Now you have a choice.
a. Go back the way you came and go north on the Duarte Hwy out of Santo Domingo, or
b. Go up to San Juan de la Maguana and continue on to the Carretera Internacional and go up the Dominican-Haitian border to Montecristi.
7) From Montecristi you can turn off the highway near Villa Vasquez and go on the coastal "road" that Trujillo built after the "invasion de Luperon..." That road will lead you to Buen Hombre and Punta Rucia, Estero Hondo and La Isabela, across the river to El Castillo and a flock of tiny beaches all the way to Luperon....
8) From Luperon and Puerto Plata you get to Samana
9) From Samana you return to STI and off you go...happy and exhausted.

HB

jyfeliz

Feb 3, 2008
Hey Hillbilly, I see what you are saying. I definitely did not consider that route? I was thinking like all around. Thanks. Also, si the highway by the border safe, i have only been to dajabon so I am not sure. Im glad that there is hope with the fact that there is definitely roads available to take. Sorry to ask again, but do you think this route can be managed on 1000 USD per person.

I was looking at the map in Google Pro, and the south has really amazing beaches.