Helping Others

JustinLee

Jul 12, 2008
Greetings everyone. This is my first time here. My wife and I will be making our first trip to the DR in December. I am a businessman in Oklahoma (U.S.) and enjoy a self-sustained agricultural lifestyle with my wife and 2 kids. What I mean by a self-sustained agricultural lifestyle is I produce my own beef, milk, pork, chicken, eggs and garden.

During our trip to the DR we would love to be a blessing to a family in need. We want to buy this family a milk cow, chickens, goats, pigs or whatever so that they can produce their own food and sale/trade the excess. I know there are many charitable organizations that offer this but I am a hands on person and want to see the animals go to the family with my own eyes.

I would like to do this through a local church. Since I have no connections in the DR, I need some help. Can you give me some contact info. to a local church in an agricultural area where a family would be in need. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Justin

P.S. We will be staying in Punta Cana

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not going to happen out there. Few farmers. Most, if not all of the land belongs to Central Romana

this is not a good idea unless youcan really and truly identify such a family. Perhaps in places like Ocoa, Guananico, Santiago Rodr?guez, Los Almacigos, where there are some small farmers, this idea might, I say "might" work.

You cannot come inhere and do this sort of thing. Try contacting Caritas, CARE or one of the church organizations and see what they say....Try contacting our farmer out in the area near Cabrera...see what he says.

All I can see happening is that once you turn your back everything is sold off and things get back to normal. Do this very slowly....There is very little of the US-style farmer culture here.

HB

JustinLee

Jul 12, 2008
Thank you for your replies and PM's. They have given me direction. I'm looking for a family that has ag. knowledge and animal husbandry knowlege that I can help improve their financial lives by buying them an upgraded animal or more of what they already have.

Justin

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I know a couple of families in a campo outside of Moca, including a pastor. The issues I see is they may not have enough room to keep these animals. Also, the couple of families that have animals are already somewhat wealthy compared to their neighboors.

You might be able to create a community or church owned coop where it is maintained by the community. The challenges might be buying food and getting a sufficient size property to work with. Remember that in the country typically the wealthier Dominicans have property. Nonetheless, I applaud your interest. Feel free to send me a pm if you'd like.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i am thinking a roto tiller could be a big hit. if they have enough land to warrant a tractor they would be considered rich. but, as with a lot of things in this country, whatever you bring down will soon be broken and things will go right back to the old way. for example, a microwave is only used for storage and so is an oven.