Music Help: Popular Dominican Artists?

The Traveler

Jun 7, 2008
Hello. I am making a mixed cd for a friend and I was wondering if someone could steer me to some Dominican/Dominican American music artists. From research as well as my recent trip to the DR I know that Meringue(sp?) Bachata, Reggaeton and to a lesser degree American Hip Hop are popular among Dominicans. I guess more specifically I am looking for music the 21-30 year old crowd would listen to(i.e.the stuff that is played in the night clubs). I will be returning to the DR in December and want to give this CD as a gift to my friend. Any artists in particular I should be looking for?(I have the reggaeton and hip hop genres covered, I need Meringue and Salsa). I would have included Bachata but she does not like it. Sorry for the long winded post, thanks in advance for any all help/suggestions. :)

DOMINICAN-KIDD

Mar 21, 2008
hip hop / reggaeton you have

jr writer

armareda

triple seis

kat deluna

juju from the beatnuts

lapiz conciente

vakero

nicky jamz

and more

The Traveler

Jun 7, 2008
Thanks I had Kat Deluna down, thanks for those suggestions. This might be impossible for you to know but I figured I will ask anyway, do you know of a song where the singer/rapper says "Shorty(pronounced short-ayyyyyyyyyy in the song)as the hook of the song.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Traverlet it depends, Jevitos (higher social class) listen almost exclusively electronic music (trance) in night clubs with a few mixed merengue and salsa in between.

Middle to low social class listen mainly Reggaeton (Wisin y Yandel, Tony Dize), Mambo (Omega, El Sujeto), Salsa (Los Adolescentes, Sexappeal, Asdrubal) and normal Merengue (Sergio Vargas, Rubby Perez). I personally don't like bachata but can hear the latest of Anthony Santos just for the variety.

DOMINICAN-KIDD

Mar 21, 2008
Xtreme - Shorty Shorty

Thats The Song !!!

Also Look Up Mirror Image As Well !! Myspace.com/mirrorimagenyc

thanks I Had Kat Deluna Down, Thanks For Those Suggestions. This Might Be Impossible For You To Know But I Figured I Will Ask Anyway, Do You Know Of A Song Where The Singer/rapper Says "shorty(pronounced Short-ayyyyyyyyyy In The Song)as The Hook Of The Song.

The Traveler

Jun 7, 2008
Thanks DK but unfortunately that is not the song I was looking for. The song I need/am looking for does not have Shorty as the title in the song, rather it is used as a hook in the song. Also it is a much faster pace(rap or reggaeton perhaps). Thanks for your help though, it is much appreciated.

Janni

Mar 19, 2005
Travelor......Would you be referring to the song called "Low" by Flo-rida ft. T-Pain?? It has the word Shorty got low..low ..low ...low.
It's not a Dominican song...but I thought I would throw that out there. ;)

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Thanks I had Kat Deluna down, thanks for those suggestions. This might be impossible for you to know but I figured I will ask anyway, do you know of a song where the singer/rapper says "Shorty(pronounced short-ayyyyyyyyyy in the song)as the hook of the song.

Hi there

I think the song you are referring to is 'Shorty' by Jowell y Randy featuring Casa De Leones

The Traveler

Jun 7, 2008
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, but no I am not referring to Flo-Rida's song "low". This song is sung by a Domincan/Dominican American I believe. DK I am already familiar with Anthony Cruz aka Sosa aka AZ as Nas is my favorite rapper and him and AZ are/were close buddies. Thanks though for the suggestions.

DayDream THank YOU SO Much this is the song I was looking for. God bless you.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Traveler, the song you are looking for is the one daydream told you, Jowell y Randy - Shorty.