Quiet beach

K

Kathy Welch

My husband and I will be traveling to Santo Domingo the last week of February in 2001. We are looking for a place to stay that doesn't attract many tourists but has a very quiet nice beach. We want to do alot of sightseeing in between laying on the beach. We don't want to go to an all-inclusive beacause we want to spend alot of time with the natives. I would like information on getting around also. If you know of such a place I would appreciate any and all information you could give me.

A

Andy

If you're looking for quiet beaches, some of the prettiest scenery in the DR and natural attractions, check out the Samana Peninsula.

H

Hillbilly

Take this advice..

Andy is a little self motivated here (with cause, believe me!) but let me say that the Samana Peninsula IS the most beautiful, verdent and lush part of the DR. My wife and I have been visiting there for over 30 years and even with the changes it is beautiful.. Just what you wanted.
Andy's place is neat, next door is Bernard's place and just around the corner is Villa Serena all winners!!
Luck
HB

A

arcoiris

Re: Take this advice..

Samana is very popular now, in part thanks to andy's efforts to create a market via his website. It is great there, but I hope you will also look at all the other great places that there are in the Dominican Republic. You may have to find the information from other people though, and I hope you would buy some good travel books, and I hope some other people will post about some of the other places to go. The natives mostly don't have the internet to tell you about their places, but there are some people, like Roberto and Natasha on this site who can tell you more.

H

Hillbilly

While I love Samana, look at this site

try dominicanluxuryvillas.com

They offer exclusive villas and there is one at Punta Ruc?a that is about as far away from the beaten path as you can get.
Entertainment is the lapping of the waves at sunset (glorious in and of itself), the local dance hall, a trip to Cayo Arena with a bunch of German tourists brought in from Puerto Plata, and, if you can convince someone to take you, a spicy meal of sauteed goat with rice and plaintains, accompanied by lots of cold Presidente beer at Sandra's Bar in Laguna Salada or in Hato del Medio. Either one is excellent and very far from the beaten path..There are also manatees to watch and lobsters to catch.

If you are nice and call me when you get here, I might go up there and invite you over to my house for drinks and a cook out....

The beach is absolutly deserted and miles and miles of it..especially at that time of the year..Dominicans don't go to the beach in the winter..Skinny dippin'? Why not!? No one's there!

HB

B

barry

I have to agree with Andy it's beautiful, we have been to Las Galleras this year which is lovely but even better than that just down the coast is playa rincon, wonderful beach with a natural lagoon just behind it with freezing cold water. Palm trees as far as the eyes can see, you can get to it either by boat from Las Galleras or by car(4X4 recommended), takes about 20 mins from the main road.
Fresh fish sold beach side with platanos, tastes great.

We also went to Las Terrenas last year which is just as beautiful with the best beach there being Playa Bonito(if I remember rightly - maybe Andy can correct me if I'm wrong).
Probably best of all is just getting to Las Terrenas the scenery is awesome!!!

PS We probably saw about 20 tourists during both trips, though we did go on a Sunday each time with Dominican families.

B

barry

Re: While I love Samana, look at this site

Punta Rucia is great too, we went on a Sunday through Luperon and the winding dirt tracks to what can only be described as a gorgeous beach. Very different terrain to Samana, not so many palm trees but beutiful in its own way. You can walk for miles on bleached white sandy beaches. You can also walk out quite far with the water staying only waist deep. Very well worth whle to take a trip their.

S

ScottieMon

Re: HILLBILLY

Hillbilly, you know me as the student that was so certain to drop out of PUCCM, when I questioned about Santiago's nightlife. Anyways,I'm here, all is good, including school. But I wanted some info on Punta Rucia. Where to stay, the costs, costs of getting there. And is a taxi the only way to get there, or are there gua guas. Thanks,
scott