dominican food

portrushbear

Jul 8, 2008
I will be going to DR next summer for the 1st time and i was just wondering what the DR has to offer food wise, ive only ever been to the likes of spain and greece before staying in mainly british resorts so never really experienced proper food when on holiday

Many thanks

PB:chinese:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Portrushbear-we need a little more info from you. Will you be at an all-inclusive hotel? Are you looking for fine dining outside of the hotel resort or typical Dominican family restaurants? What part of the island will you be visiting?

Give us more details and we will lead you in the right direction.

Having said that, the typical Dominican meal consists of rice, beans and some type of fried meat and of course fried plantains.

But there certainly is more to it than that. It all depends on where you go and what you are looking for.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Portrushbear-we need a little more info from you. Will you be at an all-inclusive hotel? Are you looking for fine dining outside of the hotel resort or typical Dominican family restaurants? What part of the island will you be visiting?

Give us more details and we will lead you in the right direction.

Having said that, the typical Dominican meal consists of rice, beans and some type of fried meat and of course fried plantains.

But there certainly is more to it than that. It all depends on where you go and what you are looking for.

Don't forget the salad.

picapollo

Jul 17, 2008
i go to dom rep all time and i have always found the food lovely do not eat mondongo as that is tripe yuk . Be careful of the food in hotels as sometimes can be dodgy .

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
I recommend trying the Sancocho, and tres leche pastel if you have the opportunity. Dominican flag as well.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Dominican Flag-"La Bandera Dominicana"...

... is rice, beans and chicken if I'm not mistaken. Wanted to throw that in in case the OP didn't know.

And I have been reminded not to leave out the "Ensalada Verde(Green Salad)"!!! How could I forget?

Doesn't it usually consist of just lettuce and tomatoes?

Last edited:

portrushbear

Jul 8, 2008
im staying in playa dorada but would like to venture out and actually see and sample a bit of dominican culture as well as lie by the pool

food is something i love trying when on holiays, that and cocktails:D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If that is so, then get the hell outta the resort!!!

Walk out to the main gate or the secondary gate, either one will do. If you go left you go to Sos?a; if you go right, you go to Puerto Plata.

Your best bet would be to go left to Sos?a and try Rocky's ribs, then over to Cabarete and try any of the eating spots there.

You will have a gazillion places to eat...

Dominican food is not spicy, tends to be fried, not much on salads or soups (except for sancocho and 'asopao') ....breads are minimal and desserts can be very sweet...

I have survived for many decades, so it can't be too bad, now, can it??

HB

Jan 5, 2006
Walk out to the main gate... if you go right, you go to Puerto Plata.

The first place that you'll find on the right side of the road will have some really good puerco asado (whole roasted pig), fresh off the fire at around 11AM. Have some of that with casabe and an ice cold Presidente beer. It doesn't get any more Dominican than that! :D

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002

... is rice, beans and chicken if I'm not mistaken. Wanted to throw that in in case the OP didn't know.

And I have been reminded not to leave out the "Ensalada Verde(Green Salad)"!!! How could I forget?

plus Qcumber, Radish, Sweet beets, Carrots and Cabbage.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
im staying in playa dorada but would like to venture out and actually see and sample a bit of dominican culture as well as lie by the pool

food is something i love trying when on holiays, that and cocktails:D

You won't find Dominican food there.

After having spend 3 weeks running from left to right i stayed 2 days in the resort (kind of no worry catching up with sleep and rest time) If you know that in almost every single meal in the DR you have rice, beans and platanos. Only the 6th buffet had platanos. Rest were spaghetti French fries, steak etc

Get out there and explore the DR has much more to offer then those "reserves " to preserve the habitat of "homo touristicus" a very fragile species ;)

Greetings

Johan

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com

Berzin;

Yes, it does and it also includes sliced cabbage.
When ordering a "Green salad", be very specific about what you want in it. If you don't specify, you won't get it. BTW, when specifying carrots, be sure to tell them you want RAW carrots, otherwise you'll get them COOKED. A "Mixed Salad" is really "POTATO SALAD" so don't confuse it with the Normal mixed green salad. I learned the hard way on that score.
Your beans (with rice) will be falvored with cilantro and onions, giving them an entirely different taste from what you are probably accustomed to, and they'll be soupy. Dominicans spread the beans over their rice.
You can expect larger servings of everything you order since Dominicans are HUGE eaters and demand a lot.

ENJOY!!!

Texas Bill