Controlled prescribed drugs

silverpixie1uk

Jul 23, 2008
Hi, I'm not sure if this is in the right place on the forum, apologies if not.

We are disabled people visiting the DR for a holiday soon and need to bring controlled prescribed drugs with us. We don't need a licence to bring them out of the country but were advised to check if we can bring them in without one.
Now I've searched everywhere and haven't been able to find what is and isn't legal for the DR. Please can anyone point me in the right direction for a list.

Many thanks.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If you are bringing in controlled meds for your use you should have a copy of your doctors prescription with you. You probably won't be asked, but if you are and don't have it there could be a problem. You will not be able to get more meds here with out a prescription from a local doctor.

Bob K

silverpixie1uk

Jul 23, 2008
Thanks Bob, I will make sure we both have a copy of our prescriptions that's no problem.
Do you by any chance know if the DR has restrictions on certain drugs like some countries do, for instance, I can't take my pain meds into the United Arab Emirates without getting arrested.:surprised not even to get a connecting flight.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just put them with your toiletries and do not even mention anything. They will never check for this unless YOU bring it up. You should have your documents with you just in case.

Enjoy your stay.

silverpixie1uk

Jul 23, 2008
Thanks Sky, I think that's what I'll do. I've never worried before but the doc upgraded the pain meds to heavy duty and I know some countries have a ban on them.

Many thanks to you both.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Sky,
your advice will sure work in the very most cases, because nobody will do a check.
but it ma end in a disaster if checked and found, because then they may get handled like narcotraffics and that sure would not be the idea of a caribbean vaca.
i would ask about nthe handling of my legal drugs at the dominican consulate of my country far in advance to my travel to request any handling advice.
just my 2 cents
have fun
Mike

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Pills in a labeled bottle from a drugstore in YOUR NAME accompanied by a current Rx will not have any problem. Unless the OP is carrying morphine with a syringe, nobody is going to bother them.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sky,
your advice will sure work in the very most cases, because nobody will do a check.
but it ma end in a disaster if checked and found, because then they may get handled like narcotraffics and that sure would not be the idea of a caribbean vaca.
i would ask about nthe handling of my legal drugs at the dominican consulate of my country far in advance to my travel to request any handling advice.
just my 2 cents
have fun
Mike

If they find them, and I would lay 100-1 odds they do not, so what? He has the necessary papers. You are used to living in the US I presume?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
no SKY,
my US time is over since more than a decade, ha ha.
i totally agree with you that in first place nobody will look for them and even if and if they ask something showing some english written papers and the usual handsigns that this is the needed med for the traveller they would let pass all.
luckily i do not need any meds myself,
but i assume that a traveller who depends on his meds(maybe not available easily over here in case he get's them taken away) will be 100%sure to bring them in under all cicumstances.
something else crossing my mind on that:
is it allowed that those meds are carried in the handluggage??
because to miss the regular luggage with the meds would be the bigger danger than to get them taken away by customs, right.
have fun
Mike