Hello...newcomer to DR.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoblondonUK

Jul 25, 2008
Hi people.....I will be visiting DR for 2 weeks in Jan 2009 and will be staying in Sosua,i like to have a good look around wherever i travel therefore i would like to venture inland to more rural areas/mountains etc......would i be best to hire a car?...use local guide?....tour operator etc?

Any info that could be useful would be appreciated.
Rob

swooperman

Oct 10, 2007
You can rent a car for about 1300-1500 pesos a day. You don't need a car in Sosua. You can get around on foot. A moto concho will take you across Sosua for 20 pesos. If you get out on the street and mingle you will find people that may have similar interests and maybe you can team up with them. The expat comunity is very friendly and helpful and willing to help you find your way. If you have specific questions I will do my best to help.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Renting a car can be a blast, but it's often best to hang around in town for a few days and observe how they drive around here.
Then from talking to the expats in town, you will have determined which country rides are really worthwhile, and you could rent a car or SUV for the period of time needed to explore those areas.
Will you have any difficulty going from a right hand drive to a leftie?

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi Rob,

Welcome it may be wise to let someone that knows the roads, do the driving for you.

Have Fun

RoblondonUK

Jul 25, 2008
Thanks for the replies guys.......i lived in Africa for 6 years and have driven a Nat Geo crew around for 6 months so driving in different countries is not new to me......but thanks for the advice.....
I have been reading about the hassle from pimps/working girls etc in Sosua....is it that bad?.....

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
i lived in Africa for 6 years and have driven a Nat Geo crew around for 6 months so driving in different countries is not new to me......I have been reading about the hassle from pimps/working girls etc in Sosua....is it that bad?.....

Not as bad as the African hotel foyer crotch grope, if you're familiar with that :cheeky: Here a similar move will be more likely pickpocketing, not marketing a service.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys.......i lived in Africa for 6 years and have driven a Nat Geo crew around for 6 months so driving in different countries is not new to me......but thanks for the advice.....
I have been reading about the hassle from pimps/working girls etc in Sosua....is it that bad?.....

To quote an old phrase, " You Pay Your Money And You Take Your Chances"

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There is a strip, a couple of hundred yards long, that becomes a meat market at night time.
If you go there at night, then you might get hassled. Someone who is a bit street wise and well traveled, should not be too bothered.
As for pimps, it's not like pimps in the USA, and for the most part, you would never even get to meet one.
If you simply avoid the strip at night, then you'll avoid ever getting hassled.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
LOL, This thread is funny from, "how do I get around -should I rent a car"??
to Pimps and Hookers....smooth transition!!

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Rob,

I'm just saying my observations..I'm reading the whole thread, getting info just as you are, because I am genuinely interested in renting a car on my next trip...I too need to free myself from the resorts and get out and experience DR on another level...and this thread was of interest to me, then it changed into another topic!!

that's all, sorry it's not only the male gender reading your posts about renting cars and getting around. Us women like to drive on occasion too!!

RoblondonUK

Jul 25, 2008
Rob,

I'm just saying my observations..I'm reading the whole thread, getting info just as you are, because I am genuinely interested in renting a car on my next trip...I too need to free myself from the resorts and get out and experience DR on another level...and this thread was of interest to me, then it changed into another topic!!

that's all, sorry it's not only the male gender reading your posts about renting cars and getting around. Us women like to drive on occasion too!!

Its ok i had a little smile when i read your post,the post has not really changed into another topic,the question was answered and that was it.....
Anyway..............i was forwarded some links by Rocky which really interests me,personally i`m not much of a beach bum,i prefer to have a good venture into the mainland of any country that i am fortunate to visit.....maybe you will find the below link interesting.........this is the DR that i would like to see........
Regards.......

http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/66534-so-youre-bored-sosua.html

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Pictures are amazing, it's like a whole different world outside the resort!!
perhaps I was a little taken back and even jealous when I read about your time in Africa..
Really Welcome to DR1, some folks here, have a heart of Gold! (including myself) Make sure you post your pictures when you come back!!

RoblondonUK

Jul 25, 2008
You don`t even have the balls to say who you are!.....i suspect most people in DR probably know who you are anyway........
I am staying at Rockys place Jan next year and very much looking forward to meeting him....thats if hes not in jail of course!!!!!
You are one sad person whoever you are...........

Last edited by a moderator:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Unfortunately, Rob, there are a few miscreants on this website. Steve aka Rocky_has_etc... is one of them.

That said, it is admirable that you are able to quickly distinguish the good guys from the bad. I've met Marco on a number of occasions, patronize his restaurant, and welcome his counsel and friendship. Most others have had similar experiences.

Welcome to DR1, my friend.

DRob:glasses:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Poor stevie

He's so upset that he got banned and seems to think I have the power to reinstate him, not that I would.
Any of you who disapprove of his antics and would care to send him junkmail, or whatever grabs your fancy, he was dumb enough to email me from his business account, as in the email below.

Steve McNee (crystalclearpools@rogers.com)
i_yellowshield.gif
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as unsafe
Sent:Mon 1/07/08 4:09 AMTo:
Marc Beland

Tell your buddy (Robert), to lift my ban within DR1. Not that it really matters, as I have proven, I can get on if I really want too (proxy).
Make it happen anyway, or start reading the dreadful reviews of your hellhole all over the internet. I will be in the DR on Jan 08
2008 with 6 other people, maybe we should meet!?

I hope you made enough money on the New Year run to support your "sorry
ass" for awhile. I will be in Sosua in the next 2 days but we both know, I will avoid Rocky's slum like the disease that it is!

I have been in touch with Scott, nice guy, what a shocker! Are you jealous because he is wealthy? Anyway, lift my ban you moron,
or I will slam you via the net and discreetly within the DR1 as a sock too. If you don't believe me, give me a date & time and i will post
a slam on you within the DR1 within 1/2 an hour. Robert can delete stuff within the DR1 but the net is W I D E O P E N!
Too bad, you should've kept contacts with people that are brighter than you, so to learn how to become the same, instead of being a
broke loser.
See you soon!

You blew it!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.