iPhone coming in August ???

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
According to some news I just read....

Source: Engadget

Steve Jobs made a big show of announcing that the iPhone 3G would launch in 70 countries by the end of the year at WWDC, and according to CFO Tim Cook during Apple's last financial call, 20 more countries will join the list on August 22 for a total of 45. With that date just a couple weeks away, things are starting to fall into place, although not all 20 are confirmed yet. Here's a quick breakdown of the 16 confirmed countries so far -- any bets on what the other four will be?

* Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru and Uruguay on Telefonica
* India on Bharti Airtel and Vodafone
* The Czech Republic on O2
* Estonia on EMT
* Poland on Orange and Era
* Romania on Orange
* Philippines on Globe Telecom
* Hungary on T-Mobile
* Singapore on Singtel

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I heard a rumor that Apple and DR Aduanas don't get along very well. I am sure that if and when there is a DR launch, the price of an iPhone us going to include a tax on whatever Aduanas decides they are worth. I think it will be a LOT higher than the 200 plus contract that other countries are paying.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Just got an update. No DR this time around.

* Argentina (America Movil)
* Chile (Claro/America Movil, Movistar/Telefonica)
* Colombia (America Movil)
* Czech Republic (Telefonica O2)
* Ecuador (America Movil)
* El Salvador (America Movil)
* Estonia (TeliaSonera, EMT)
* Guatemala (America Movil)
* Honduras (America Movil)
* Hungary (T-Mobile)
* India (Bharti Airtel, Vodafone)
* Latvia (TeliaSonera)
* Lithuania (TeliaSonera)
* Paraguay (America Movil)
* Peru (America Movil)
* Philippines (Globe Telecom)
* Poland (Orange, Era)
* Romania (Orange)
* Slovakia (T-Mobile, Orange) Thanks, Hannah and Bulu!
* Uruguay (America Movil)

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Rimm has come out with a new Blackberry supposedly on par with the i phone. Believe they said it was already for sale in Canada, shortly in the US.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Rimm has come out with a new Blackberry supposedly on par with the i phone. Believe they said it was already for sale in Canada, shortly in the US.

Over time I think RIM is going to be buried by the iPhone.

Right now the iPhone has a massive amount of momentum, it's an amazing product, years ahead of anyone else and people are climbing over themselves to get one, not just in the USA, but globally. Plus add in the app store and Apple's push to make the iPhone more corporate friendly, it's another market monopolizer like the iPod.

ForeignNative

Jun 16, 2008
Is verizon in DR? If so I would suggest the Verizon "DARE", a knockoff of the IPhone (If it is available in DR).

Although the dare is a knockoff it is awesome! I have used it to access this site with no problem.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Orange telecom, via their France main house, will deploy the iphone in the DR soon.
Orange Dominicana is not under any shape or form of Apple's problems in bringing in hardware into the country to offer their goods directly via Apple.

The DR will have the iphone about some few months after Orange in France and related big markets get it rolling out. The phone, since already set for Orange services, will be a matter of shipping them here under current import protection held by Orange Dominicana...

press release
Paris, 16 May, 2008

Orange brings the iPhone to customers in Europe, Middle East and Africa.

Orange today announced a new agreement with Apple to bring the iPhone to Orange customers in
Austria, Belgium, the Dominican Republic, Egypt, Jordan, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia,
Switzerland and Orange’s African markets later this year.

Media Contacts
B?atrice Mandine
beatrice.mandine@orange-ftgroup.com
+33 1 44 44 93 93

http://www.apple.com/iphone/countries/

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I already have an iPhone. I bought it in POP unlocked and I put in my Claro sim card on an unlimited data plan and I must say I'm very happy with it.

I'll have to admit that I was a bit miffed to find out the following week that Apple had released the new 3G version with GPS at half the retail price of the original one. The consolation is that at the moment there are no 3G networks in the DR and the GPS is useless here because there are no digital maps of the DR.

This is something that has puzzled me. If you have a look on Googlemaps you will notice that the DR is one of only a handful on countries that is not street mapped. Even next door Haiti is mapped, so I don't quite understand why. I sent an email to Googlemaps, but they aren't allowed to discuss country mapping. I wonder why?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I already have an iPhone. I bought it in POP unlocked and I put in my Claro sim card on an unlimited data plan and I must say I'm very happy with it.

I'll have to admit that I was a bit miffed to find out the following week that Apple had released the new 3G version with GPS at half the retail price of the original one. The consolation is that at the moment there are no 3G networks in the DR and the GPS is useless here because there are no digital maps of the DR.

This is something that has puzzled me. If you have a look on Googlemaps you will notice that the DR is one of only a handful on countries that is not street mapped. Even next door Haiti is mapped, so I don't quite understand why. I sent an email to Googlemaps, but they aren't allowed to discuss country mapping. I wonder why?

GPS for the DR is currently underway and the licensing of the final mapping to street level is a private matter between the gov(plus private parties involved) and Googlemap.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006

What is the going rate for an unlocked iPhone? How are the data speeds on Claro's network?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The one thing keeping many people from switching their blackberry for an iphone, or any other device for that matter is the "push" email that blackberry offers (you receive emails instantly vs. having to login to your various email accounts). To my knowledge, at least in the DR, only Claro with a Blackberry does this.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The one thing keeping many people from switching their blackberry for an iphone, or any other device for that matter is the "push" email that blackberry offers (you receive emails instantly vs. having to login to your various email accounts). To my knowledge, at least in the DR, only Claro with a Blackberry does this.

Not any more.

MobileMe Push Mail Hands-On: iPhone's MobileMe Push Mail Hands-On Shows Why BlackBerry Is Dead

Tech Trader Daily - Barron’s Online : The iPhone 3G: Delighted With Push Email

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

Very interesting....anyone try MobileMe yet? my email isn't Enterprise based, and Ive gotten used to receiving my emails immediately, and sometimes it's vital for business...from yahoo, gmail, etc. The battery life issue in the second article is a question also, as Im wondering if MobileMe keeps an open internet connection, therefore draining the battery quickly...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have played with MobileMe and it's pretty cool. You can sign up for a 60 day free account at http://me.com

You can set the phone to push or fetch every 15, 30, 90 etc mins. I hear that setting it to fetch improves the battery life, considerably.

Actually it's not really push on the iPhone, more like continuous sync :)

May 12, 2005
I have the 3G iphone here in NY. I love the phone. I haven't used mobile me and have no plans to add it. The battery life is great. Robert, do you think there will be a big enough market in DR for the iphone??

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have the 3G iphone here in NY. I love the phone. I haven't used mobile me and have no plans to add it. The battery life is great. Robert, do you think there will be a big enough market in DR for the iphone??

Every "Jevito" already has an iPhone :)

I asked the same question about the Palm phone and Blackberry a few years ago, now they are a dime a dozen here.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
What is the going rate for an unlocked iPhone? How are the data speeds on Claro's network?

I paid 21,000RD$ for mine.

Claro's data plan is useable. Fast enough to watch youtube clips, surf interweb and read email. Not lightning quick, but adequate.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I paid 21,000RD$ for mine.

Claro's data plan is useable. Fast enough to watch youtube clips, surf interweb and read email. Not lightning quick, but adequate.

Thanks. Sounds reasonable for someone buying one in the DR.