Back from my second D.R. Trip.

This past Monday, August 4th, I returned from my second trip to the DR. It began on July 27th when I flew from Miami to Santo Domingo on a flight that was delayed six hours, due first to mechanical problems and then to waiting for 9 pieces of luggage to be removed because some passengers decided at the last minute that they didn't want to fly. The plane was supposed to leave at 12pm & arrive at 2pm. It left at 6pm arriving at 8pm.

In Santo Domingo I stayed at the Hotel Freeman in the Zona Colonial. It was far from perfect, but it wasn't bad since the rooms only costed $35 per night.

While in SD I went to many places including the Acuario Nacional, Libreria Cuesta (a huge bookstore similar to Borders and Barnes and Noble in the U.S.), Vesuvio Italian Restaurant on the Malecon just up the road from Jaragua Hotel, Carrefour department store and many others. I also made a day trip to Bonao on my second day, returning in the evening.

While driving in SD on my third day the brakes in my rental car failed, but they failed gradually so I was able to pull over without any danger as soon as I felt the pedal get spongy. I called the rental agency (National) at Las Americas Airport and to my surprise they sent someone out with another car who arrived in about 45 minutes, and I was on my way.

The fourth day I checked out of the hotel and departed SD, driving to Sosua. On the way I stopped for brief visits at Bonao again, and also La Vega and Santiago. Once in Sosua I stayed at Rocky's Condo number 2 and was once again treated to the great service Marco gives (I stayed at Rocky's Hotel the first trip in April). In Sosua I did many of the things I did the last time like visit the beach, local discos and bars, etc.

The only thing different I did was take a ride on the Cable Car (teleferico) in Puerto Plata. I had wanted to do it the last time but wasn't able to. It was great, and the mountain top is beyond beautiful. The chilly air up there is a nice break from the heat below. I also went to a beach party in Puerto Plata that was sponsored by the Presidente Beer Company on Sunday, August 3rd, my last full day of the trip. I also tried to visit the Brugal Factory but it's closed to the public on weekends.

On Monday, Agust 4th I flew back to Miami from Puerto Plata. This morning, August 10th, I bought another plane ticket from MIA to POP from September 22 to the 29th. I LOVE the DR.

Here is a photo of the mountains of Bonao:
DominicanRepublicTripJuly27thtoAug0.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYAgwwJKVJU

Last edited:
most of these are private videos on youtube!
why post links we can't watch?

They work for me, I just clicked on them.

I also went to YouTube to check on them and they were Public, just as I had selected when I uploaded them, not private.

There is a window on YouTube's home page right now saying that the site is undergoing maintenance at this moment. Maybe that's why they didn't work, who knows.