• Thread starter Amilda Betancourt
  • Start date

license

A

Amilda Betancourt

My daughter is 16 years old and I just found out that because we are just residents she wont be allowed to get her license like any other Dominican young girl because she can't get her "cedula" until 17.
Any one knows anything about this? She is very upset.

R

Roberto

Re: license-To Ms.Amildal

Ms.Amilda
You daughter are not allow to have her license if I am not mistaking until she are 18 years old
I had my Cedula at 17 but until I was 18 I was not allow to do many things
I don't know if that had changed please ask you lawyer don't ask him what you can do but what you are allow to do legally and see what he answer you
in some country you have to be 21 18 is not bad she should not be upset
bad should fix the fact that she are not A adults yet and have to wait until she are
I had to deal with that wen I was 17 wanted to Have A bank account vote and many others thing I was not allow

Regards
Roberto please I would be happy to know what you find that with you lawyer

E

Eddy

To get her cedula, she must be a resident. (Have her residency card) I beleive that forengers must be 18 to get this. I too would like to get a legal opinion.

E

ECH, M.D.

My attorney's son has had his cedula since he was 16 but it is stamped with big letters that he is a MINOR and also NO VOTA. He can't vote. He is now 17 and is about to get his license after 8a course at a "driving school" I don't know the legal requirements for a foreigner. But the really funny thing is that most Dominicans DO NOT have a drivers license and this includes attorneys, physicians and businessmen, all of whom you would think would abide by the rules. But, if they are not going to abide by the laws of the road....why bother with a license.

H

Hillbilly

My advice-totally unsolicited!

No 16 year old should drive in this country!! male or female.

Does she realize that if she is driving and has an accident (very common even among careful 16 year old girls)and someone is hurt, she goes to jail???At least a night? by (;>) "law"?

I realize that in the states we have bumper stickers that cry "PMS and S&W .357: Whadda ya say???" Here that won't cut it...

Careful.

HB

R

Roberto

Jesus
I can believe what my eyes are reading
ECH,M.D.
by some tread that I had read from you in the past I was almost sure that comments like that would never come out from you

what ever I will reserve the right for now to think that you had A tuff week end and therefor you are over reacting Sir/Mrs.who ever you are

you wrote
My attorney's son has had his cedula since he was 16 but it is stamped with big letters that he is a MINOR and also NO VOTA. He can't vote. He is now 17 and is about to get his license after 8a course at a "driving school" I don't know the legal requirements for a foreigner. But the really funny thing is that most Dominicans DO NOT have a drivers license and this includes attorneys, physicians and businessmen, all of whom you would think would abide by the rules. But, if they are not going to abide by the laws of the road....why bother with a license.

it is true that some Dominican did not make they license driver legally-and not like you say that most don't have it in all you are talking about the past

like we also have some foreigners who does not have A legal Permanent residence in they hands
in the past 4 years one of the thing that I find good about the past administration was that they try to solve this problem
but since that are A very old problem they left before they could be done complitly

now you say that you lawyer kids that are 17 are driving with out A license driving?
I believe you
wen I was 13 I did it my self I was lucky no accident and the police did not saw me
now A question,how much you lawyer make per months?
do you think that would be A problem for him to get his kid out of jail in 24 hour's?
A other question for you
did he advice you to send you kid with out A license driving in the street ?
I hope not because if the educate people like you and you lawyer are telling the people that wan to contibuete with the legal system doing thing in the legal way,then you tell them why bother if the local would not do it legal any way

then what are our future?eh?

you comment are any way unfair since that we have many good men and woman including foreigners who are trying to do things legally because they believe that the democracy would be stronger by doing so

are you part of the resident/foreigners
that when the Tour guide/and others ask the Tourist not to take the natural things that are in the beaches and natural park,
do you ask them why?> wen the local would destroy it any way?

do you tell the Foreigners lady's to behave like wild animals because we have A lots of prostitute in this country? and no matter what some local would tell them about the local culture/mentality/behave?

do you tell the foreigner men why bother getting married with A decent girl wen they can have tone of them?any way
do you tell the Tour guide to shut up wen they tell the Tourist that the legal age to have sex is 18
do you answer them well there many 12 years girl pregnant?
do you tell foreigners that wan to stay legal in this country why bother since the Haitian are illegal and we have many European that are illegal?

To have the credibility to critizy the Dominican Republic or any other society in any how we have to make the Example with ours way of talking and behaving I am not saying that you are A bad person I don't know you and what you do with you private life legally/fisicly are not my business

but coming to the message board and encourage the Tourist to behave like you are telling Ms.Amilda To behave,perhaps because you lawyer are part of some lawyer that are still fixing things like during the 12 years of Balaguer and that make you feel goods
that is OK

but encouraging others to follow you acctitud hurt me significantly spetialy because we have being surfer in many way because of those incompetent acctitud very

we need to apport what we can to built stronger Caribbean/south america/Central America and any others country where the legal institutions are not so strong like they are in some advanced country
for our generations and for our future kids that would be proud of us
that we make them understand that it is always better to do things legally then doing them illegal even wen we have the Power to do those things that we could do in a fraction of second by picking the phone calling the lawyers ore some general
we may feel good wen we do that in the moment but remember we may not have the money always to pay A lawyer we may not be so popular any more
to make that general listen to us then ours right will be violated
Remember it is a chains our future are in our hands what we do now would be reflected soon ore later,but in this life
if you don't believe see how hard is the life of the Africans and check in they milenium history and ask you self why?
I don't need to tell you about Europe/North america/Asia either I should bring you to the Incas/ameri Indians,and many others

in the name of the justice/peace
fore our kids lest try to be fair

Regards
peace:)

Roberto

E

Eddy

Re: My advice-totally unsolicited!

Good advice Hillbilly. You need to be an expert devensive driver to survive in this country. 90% if not more of the people on the roads do not know how to drive and wouldn't last 10 minutes in Canada of USA. They would be pulled over by the Police who would probably tear up their driver's licence. (Assuming they had one).

C

CES

I agree 100% with H.B., NO 16 year old. . .

girl drivers, especially in DR traffic conditions. I've been driving for 47 years (California freeways, bumper to bumper 75 MPH :) and know that you are asking for trouble by allowing a 16 year old to drive in DR autopista traffic. . .

Regards,

. . . CES

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: FOR ROBERTO!!!!!

Roberto
I think you are reading a GREAT deal into my simple little statement that I QUOTED FROM MY ATTORNEY. To wit: his son had a CEDULA at 16. He is in driving school and although 17 will soon have his license (probably by the time he is 18) (several weeks)
The attorney laughed and said he had been driving for many years and never had a license but his son is getting one.
No where in my note do I advocate breaking the law, being disrespectful to the host country and their customs and culture. I am not "Joe Tourist"! I LIVE here and live here by choice. I happen to really like it here and the friends I have acquired.
I think you have mis read and misquoted me to the point that you have actually maligned me for no reason. PLEASE RE-READ MY ORIGINAL STATEMENT AGAIN.

K

Kozytpm

Re: I agree 100% with H.B., NO 16 year old. . .

For the last two years I have driven about 10-15,000 miles per year in the DR. There is only one rule of the road you must understand; the biggest vehicle has the right of way, always, in every circumstance. Driving in L.A. rush hour traffic is a walk in the park compared to urban driving in the DR. I advise extreme caution for any newcomers.

W

William Leslie

Re: I agree 100% etc/RULES OF THE ROAD

The actual rule of driving in the DR is: That you may drive in any physical condition on what ever part or side of the road including intersections that you wish, at any speed and with or without lights at night (if you do it is to be high beams only and at least 5 of them if you are a bus) as long as you do not hit anybody or allow anybody to hit you since that will automatically be your fault and you will have to pay, pay, pay or of coarse have your vehicle confiscated until you pay, pay, pay.
Roberto please do not get upset, this is tongue in cheek...right?