organic produce

J

JANE

I am concerned about the use of some pesticides in the D.R. I hear that many of the pesticides being used on produce are banned in the US and are particularly toxic over time or carcinegenic. (Many of the pesticides in the U.S. are harmful, so to be banned they must be particularly suspect.) Does anyone have specific information on this? Are there any organic farmers in the DR? If so, where could one purchase organic vegetables in Santo Domingo or near San Cristobal and Bani? Thanks for any info...

H

Heada Lettuce

You Worry Too Much

The simple fact is that many,not all, farmers in the DR can barely afford fertilizer let alone the Toxic Pesticides of your nightmares.
In fact all Pesticides are 'toxic over time' esp to bugs!
As to Carcinogens again you have little or nothing to worry about,the produce grown in Mexico is laced with all kinds of chemical crud,yet people in the US consume it by the Ton,day after day,month after month year after year and there is no proof it's harming them,none at all.
If you're so senstive use a good dishwashing detergent on Fruits&Veggies before eating,rinse carefully.
Also you should give Thanks that you were born in a rich society where you're able to take such painstakingly fussy preparations with your food,many worldwide are barely able to afford a bowl of mush for their supper,Thanks in part to your rich society draining the world of it's resources.
Ever stop and think who harvested the coconut in your granola?
And how much (little) they were paid?
Those people would LOVE to have the problems you fantasize about,they really would.

T

Tom F.

You Aren't Worrying Too Much

Jane, The previous post pointed out correctly that we here in the US consume a great deal of toxins on our food. I personally buy organic and am willing to pay more to reduce the toxins in my body. There is wide spread use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides all over the world, including the DR. The poorest Dominicans are not producing fresh fruits and vegetables, but rather working for those you do. Anything beyond a small patch behind someone's home, will probably get a hand full of chemicals spread over the top of it. If you are preparing your own food, include a 10 minute soaking in hydrogen peroxide and apple cider vineger after you have washed them. I wouldn't worry about the previous post attempt at a guilt trip. You need to throw that crap in the face of the rich Dominicans who pay their employees garbage wages and directly benefit from the working underclass. Feel free to criticize governments, but individuals looking to take care of their personal health, should be left alone.

A

Alyssa

I was just at the Bravo supermarket yesterday (next to La Sirena), and they have a "new" section in thier produce area labeled "organic produce". I don't know if that means the same thing here that it does in Canada, but there it is...

N

Natasha

Re: You Aren't Worrying Too Much

Just to add to what Tom F. has said, I too buy certain organic produce, mainly the leafy veggies. For me, it is not so much that I HAVE to buy organic fruits and veggies, but that I am very adamant about cleaning them, even when they are organically grown! I use a commercial product called Veggie Wash ($3.99) which is readily available not just at organic markets. I don't know how long you will be staying in the DR, but you could take several bottles with you. The vinegar/hydrogen peroxide recipe is also good. I have heard of some people using a bit of bleach in water, but personally, I don't trust this method. Ultimately, you can always just peel fruits and veggies, which is how most Dominicans eat them anyway.

Regards,
Natasha

G

george

Organic produce.

Jane, the following producers of bananas, cultivate organic produce, for export to europe.They are certified and monitered by Dutch and German firms, normally to the highest standard.
I dont however know if any of the crop is sold in the DR, Look out for; "Saberosa", "Savid", "Ecofair" and "Blobana" Brands, I think that most of these are in the Azua valley area.

Good Luck

J

JANE

Re: You Worry ME

Thanks for the helpful, helpful messages from people with info on organic produce and farms!!... Yes, t is the long-range health I'm talking about. (Mi novio es Dominicano, and I may live here for many many years & have children here one day! I would like our lives to be long and healthy!

I feel the need to respond to "Heada Lettuce", though I doubt I'll effect any changes in his/her attitude about oranic produce...

Being from a rich nation has nothing to do with producing organic produce! In Cuba, they grow lots and lots of organic produce, precisely BECAUSE they can't afford the fertilizer, pesticide, etc you mentioned... There are high rates of colon cancer in the DR, and yes, Heada Lettuce, while the link may not be proved with many pesticides (one of the reasons many Americans are still consuming potentially harmful chemicals - the FDA won't ban them until it is proved), there are many links, and ACTUALLY many of the pesticides that WERE banned in the U.S. and used now in a number of 3rd world countries were banned because they were deemed carcinagenic. It is wise not to have such niaive faith in the chemical industry to put your health as their top priority...

Please do your homework before being so quick on the trigger & responding with such negativity. Was it useful to be so harsh in communicating with a stranger?

J

JANE

Heada Lettuce... One more thing...

Yes, I'll fully admit that the US has played its part in consuming resources... And I think it's really the pits how many large chemical corporations (world-wide and from the US) will dump on the market the chemicals and pesticieds that they can no longer sell in their own countries... selling them instead to poorer nations, where there may be less information about the harmful effects! In other words, making money off of the poverty by selling dangerous products! So my criticism of pesticide use in the DR was not really criticizing the D.R>, but more these terrible global practices of larger wealthier nations, of which the US is included, that hurt the DR and its people! (The same goes worldwide for unsafe car tires, expired prescription drugs, and faulty consumer products.)

So don't assume someone is elitist because they don't like chemicals! And don't automatically assume someone is elitist because of their nation of origin.

whew! ...Enough of that! Let's all move on to sunnier topics!, shall we?

M

Mary Kohn

Veggie Life's autumn 2000 issue has

a great article on ways to clean your veggies. One of them is the old blue label Clorox bleach (5.25% solution of sodium hypochlorite [NaOCl].
Make a Clorox solution using one teaspoon of Clorox per gallon of water. Add the fruits, vegetables, eggs, or other foods to be treated.
Soak the foods, according to the following timetable:

leafy vegetables 5-10 min

root vegetables 10-15 min

thin-skinned fruits 5 min

medium and heavy skinned fruits 10-15 min

eggs 20-30 min

Follow the Clorox soak with a 5-10 min rinse in clear water
Either cook the food right away or dry it thoroughly and refrigerate.
(The above formula comes from Dispenza and is recommended by many Parcells practicioners.)

Obviously, the clear water should have been boiled if necessary...
There is a section on food-grade Hydrogen Peroxide and eco-wash products also.

S

Susanne

Most of my food is organically grown or raised. Not because I think that I will stay particularly healthy because of it. I mainly do it because it is generally better for the environment.

If more people would ask for organic grown vegetables and fruits, we would endanger the nature less. In this light especially is organic produce an advantage, also in a small, poor country.

Lots of developing countries have - for several reasons, most of them have to do with lack of resources - neglected to consider sustainable growth (lots of industrialized countries have done the exact same thing, mainly because of lack of consideration) with really bad consequences: Deforestation, erosion, mud slides, pollution, loss of potable water etc.

In a nation where unemployment is widespread it makes sense to use the more man-hour consuming way of growing natural produce. And you can ask for a better price, especially when you export.

Some Dominican farmers have obviously figured this out. The organically grown bananas in my local supermarket right now are from - the Dominican Republic. This is in faraway Denmark where the demand for organic foodstuff is growing rapidly (the majority of milk is now organic).

Regards,
Susanne