Flights to Santiago/North

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Hi all, I hope everyone is doing well. I have a quick question. I have traveled to Santiago and the north (Cabarete/Sosua) many times and I have been able to search for flights far in advance i.e. 6 months in advance. I live in NY so I fly out of JFK and on occasion out of Newark. Over the past month this has been very difficult in terms of finding flights for early February 2009. Generally I search for direct flights and I have only found one on Continental out of Newark which is direct both ways. I know there has been some talk of airlines revamping their schedules and number of flights to DR. Has anyone had this problem? or Know of any ongoing issues related to the flights? Thanks to all in advance!!!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
With the fluctuation in fuel prices the airlines as a whole are reconsidering everything whereby you would normally get a better price for booking far ahead inadvance.

Now the best deals are last minute just to fill up the plane because of the cost of fuel.

Is it not a bit early to consider a winter vacation even before the leaves fall?

I do remember living in the North for my first 21 years and lobor day does start the depression cycle for lack of sunshine.

I have not seen a snow flake in 27 years !

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
The prices weren't what was concerning me. It was the lack of flights. There weren't many options. Talking with others I have heard Delta slashed the number of direct flights to DR, but that may change according to an article I read on DominicanToday.com. Also, there were no American Airlines flights posted for that time as well. Usually there are tons of AA flights. Hopefully this will change as the months go on.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
No buyers = no flights, but there is always a demand in February so you will get here.

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
I used to always fly Continental EWR-STI for the direct flight. But just so you know, Continental is discontinuing that service come mid-September. I believe they still have a direct flight from the capital though, if you just really want a non-stop flight but don't mind the bus trip.

michela0022

Aug 22, 2008
I really wouldn't worry if I were you. It's still too early for February. I fly every two months and yes Continental, Delta, and American have cut all there direct flights to the Dominican Republic and have added more connecting flights to their schedules. They have doubled there prices and made it much more inconvient for the person flying. Just keep looking and try Jet Blue there prices are usually much cheaper for Santiago.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I heard today that JetBlue was posting their flights up to April. Their site did not indicate this, but I called them and they confirmed it. So if anyone else is looking for flights at the same time period they should be posted in the next day or so. I was told that a direct, round trip flight from JFK to STI is $385. All things considered this is a very good rate.