Help, is uncle in trouble????

victorybell

Sep 6, 2008
My uncle was born in the Dominican Republic over 50 years ago. When he was 18 years old he joined the U.S Air force and said he was born Puerto Rico. That was not the case. He does live in the Us now after he married a US Citzen When he was 25 years old. Basically did he commit fruad when he join the air force saying he was a Puerto Rican? His original birth Cert. resurfaced and fell into the wrong hands. What can happen to my poor uncle??

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
My uncle was born in the Dominican Republic over 50 years ago. When he was 18 years old he joined the U.S Air force and said he was born Puerto Rico. That was not the case. He does live in the Us now after he married a US Citzen When he was 25 years old. Basically did he commit fruad when he join the air force saying he was a Puerto Rican? His original birth Cert. resurfaced and fell into the wrong hands. What can happen to my poor uncle??

Probabally go to jail. But if he is now a U.S. citizen he won't be deported.

If this is a first offence and he had a spotless military record he may get probation or 6 months in federal prison.

He will be considered a convicted felon if they press charges.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
What can happen to my poor uncle??

Maybe consult a US lawyer since this is more a matter of US law than DR law?

I can't work out if mike l is being serious or not as I'm not a US citizen & have little interest in & even less knowledge about their laws, but that outcome does seem a trifle harsh....................?

victorybell

Sep 6, 2008
Thanks for replying to my post,

I know he has a clean military record. He was discharged due to back issues. Then he got disibililty and social security. But got over payment and owes back to US gov. around $65k. So I know he does not need any problems. What do you guys think?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I am being very serious. I lived in florida for 24 years and know people that have landed in jail for some strange things.

One guy obtained a passport under a phony name and got 6 months for that. It's punishable by up to 5 years but under the Federal sentencing guidlines, first time offenders rarely get the maximum sentence.

I heard of another person who served a 7 year sentence and was deported and then he went back to the states and got caught and he did another 7 years just for that.

Harsh.......absolutely!

Last edited:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I know he has a clean military record. He was discharged due to back issues. Then he got disibililty and social security. But got over payment and owes back to US gov. around $65k. So I know he does not need any problems. What do you guys think?

Time to get out of Dodge as the saying goes.

I am assuming they have suspended his SSI checks and or are being Garnisheed.

If he does go to jail they do not let you collect SSI, during incarceration.

The big question is who has this evidence and what are they going to do with it.

By all means see a lawyer.

victorybell

Sep 6, 2008
No, I am going to visit DR in a couple weeks.

My grand father just passed. My uncle lives in Florida now with new wife. Uncle is in DR with my father and all other family now. My grandfather who passed and grandmother who is still alive owe a lot of farms. Currently one is for sale. Would anyone know about the determination of heirs and transfer tax for the heirs to pay. Can my father be able to put me on the title with him on the land ? Does anyone know how to go about this?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
My grand father just passed. My uncle lives in Florida now with new wife. Uncle is in DR with my father and all other family now. My grandfather who passed and grandmother who is still alive owe a lot of farms. Currently one is for sale. Would anyone know about the determination of heirs and transfer tax for the heirs to pay. Can my father be able to put me on the title with him on the land ? Does anyone know how to go about this?

You really do need to find an attorney.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
For immigration law in Florida we have been using Larry J. BEHAR in Fort Lauderdale. He is not cheap but is very well connected and I know he has been very successful with complicated cases. Yet, choosing a lawyer should not only be based on a recommendation off a public forum, proper due dilligence is recommended.

Is your uncle a veteran? Does he still have ties to the US army (buddies and superiors)? Is there a risk that his SS-debt may be routed back on any fraudulently obtained SS-benefits? These may be questions you do need not to respond to on a public forum, but to which you may nevertheless consider preparing yourself to respond to, to your lawyer and eventually US government officials and the courts.
I would also think that it is mind boggling that a foreigner could sneak into the US army only 30 years ago, a fact which may take some of the responsibility load of your uncle's shoulder, one would think.

... J-D.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I would think that he'd have been eligible for US Citizenship for being in the US continuously (had he applied back in the day), for serving our country in the military, and for his marriage to a US Citizen. If they had kids, there's another avenue.
It's all in how it is viewed by the powers that be. Perhaps the powers that be are inspired in a positive way by the unknown powers that be. :)
Best of luck.
mkohn

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008
It is better for the uncle to inform the authorities and ask for leniency than to wait for them to track him down.

Jan 9, 2004
The analysis of your Uncle's situation turns on the question....

Whether he "lawfully entered the country." If the answer is no, then he may have a difficult road....depending on whose hands the birth certificate fell into.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2