Anyone travelled alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007
Hi guys it looks like my buddy does not want to go on a trip with me. ****!!!!!!! This is the 3rd time a got ****ed!!!!!! Now I am thinking of going by myself but I am a little nervous because I don't even go to clubs/bars by my self. I was just wondering if anyone here has travelled by themselves to DR or anywhere else as a matter of fact. Thanks.

Mar 2, 2008
I travel to the DR by myself all the time, and I have since my first trip.

Admittedly it got easier the more times I went, but the first trip was the best. That's when you discover everything, and it's a great experience. You test yourself and you test others, and you find out what you like and what you don't like.

It's very much like the first time with ...... well just about anything you can think of.

Go ahead, just do it. If you don't take any chances in life what fun is it?

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
Hi there,,,
I ahve been to the Dr both times on my own ,its a GREAT experience, and i have always felt welcome and included in things, You will for sure meet other people travelling ,and the people of the DR are full of hospitality, I would say do not give up the chance to travel to the DR just because your friends have bailed. Each time i have done this i have had several comments from people who could have travelled alone in the past but chose not to ,they were inspired by my solo travels so go and Have a GREAT time....

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007
You see the thing I am worried about is what if **** hits the fan and I get attacked, how can I defend myself. I think having a buddy is always better than being by yourself, especialy in a new country :)

mardonius

Sep 13, 2008
Well I am going to be doing the same thing on my first trip to the DR in November . I was coming with a buddy but he can't now . So I am still coming but I want some info about punta playa (spelling)Sosua etc . Make no mistake about we now it's just me were coming to relax and to party and have lots of fun . I would like someone to tell me the hotels,the clubs etc. for a guy that is coming to party and have a good time . I want the in and outs for a guy that is coming to the DR for the first time and is coming alone ,but I don't plan on being alone .

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Hi guys it looks like my buddy does not want to go on a trip with me. ****!!!!!!! This is the 3rd time a got ****ed!!!!!!

Let down by 3 different friends? Very unfortunate............hopefully not significant.

Yes of course people travel to here on their own without thinking twice. I could also give you a list of other countries I have travelled to on my own over a period of many years as I'm sure could many, many others.

But............if you need to raise the question you probably know something about yourself which we don't. Based on that my advice would be wait until you find a reliable friend. This advice has nothing to do with security & safety in the DR as viewed dispassionately but more to do with you.

Well I am going to be doing the same thing on my first trip to the DR in November .

Good on you! Lots of info already here on hotels and clubs. Use the search function on blue bar at top of page to bring up previous related threads.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Hi guys it looks like my buddy does not want to go on a trip with me. ****!!!!!!! This is the 3rd time a got ****ed!!!!!! Now I am thinking of going by myself but I am a little nervous because I don't even go to clubs/bars by my self. I was just wondering if anyone here has travelled by themselves to DR or anywhere else as a matter of fact. Thanks.

The first time I visited the island I came alone. It was a lot of fun, you just have to be careful.

The information on this board will save you time, money and heartache if you do a little bit of homework. In addition, you might even be able to schedule a meet-up with one or two members. We are more-often-than-not a helpful bunch, even if we seem a little aggressive at first. :)

Have fun.

RHM

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Don't worry.

The ladies will keep you company:cool:

Seriously, mind your business and keep low!

Enjoy the beaches, the food, and paradise!

Last edited:

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
If you travel alone, you should be fine.

Stay away from illegal drugs, getting too drunk in public, and strangers who approach you on the street. If you feel somebody bump up against you, quickly check all your pockets...to see if everything is still there. Don't flash your money; don't wear fancy clothes or jewelry; and don't accept any unsolicited help if/when using the ATM machine.

Have fun, but be aware of who and what's around you.

ifsuf6.jpg

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
sammytheman, you should take into consideration where you are going to go and what you are going to do. I've been traveling within the DR (and now living here) for almost a decade. I've traveled down with my wife, kids, by myself, sent my wife by herself, sent my kids by themselves and almost every other variable. I've never had an issue or felt threatened for my or their safety.

That said, if I was heading to go clubbing in Sosua and some parts of Puerto Plata I would definitely want a wing man. Not that I'd worry about getting rolled or anything like that. But more that I would worry I would do something stupid and be very sorry for it <grin>

If you stay out of what I refer to as the 'chica bars' you will be fine, I could almost guarantee it. You have to get way out of line or be totally blotto before you have to worry about anyone trying to rip you off.

It's probably a good opportunity for you to really see the country and get to know the people. These are the coolest people on the planet. Get to know them and let them know you, you'd be amazed at how much fun it can be.

Just a thought...

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I travelled to the DR solo the first couple of times. had a BLAST. THen on three other occasions traveled with friends and it was HORRIBLE. Either they didnt swim, didnt speak spanish and all they wanted to do was go clubbing.

I've met some of the DR1 travelers and locals and prefer to travel solo but I do enjoy the company of fellow travelers. Either to hang at the beach with or go here and there with. I get to do things on MY schedule (after all it is MY trip) and we all just do our own thing. It is nice to have other people to dine with and go out for drinks with.

You can utilize this site to meet up with other travelers (as well as local people). THere are also other sites that are geared to the solo traveler. I have met some GREAT folks from DR1 in person and met a best friend while traveling to DR.

On my first couple of trips it took me awhile to get used to having dinner solo. It is great to go off and do your own thing...but at evening time I like to just sit back and talk and share stories.

You are going to have a great time! just be open to new people (and be carefull and mindfull of some of the low life).

Oh..one last word. if you ARE going for the nightlife and chicas etc. Take a day or two to just observe the scene. Get to know your environement and the people that are around. If you have some smarts you will quickly figure out who to avoid.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i would say study up on the country and your spanish and everything else will take care of itself...

bklynromanticguy

Feb 17, 2007
i went to DR a few times the very first time i went alone and i was like i wont make it even a day but i was wrong i stayd for 12 days and i had the best time ever since than i go sometime alone some time with friends friends are great company when u bored otherwise they are in my way lol iam leaving oct 12 this time alone and iam sure ill have some lonely times but i will have a great time

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
You see the thing I am worried about is what if **** hits the fan and I get attacked, how can I defend myself. I think having a buddy is always better than being by yourself, especialy in a new country :)

I'm a Canadian who I vacationed here since 1988 and lived here since 1992 when I retired and bought a home in Puerto Plata. Who the F@@K do you think is going to attack you.

If you have a problem with bar fights in Canada you will have a bigger problem here because the undercover police shoot first and ask questions later. I have NEVER had a problem here in 20 years.

newyorksfinest

Mar 1, 2008
I will be in Sosua with my buddy Nov. 10, If anybody is looking to hook up with us , send me a message. (been there 3 times before)

Don't worry about being attacked as long as you are not starting fights yourself. Go and enjoy yourself, you will meet many new and interesting people you would have never met if you were with your buddy.

Reactions: FernieBee

sosuaman

*** Sin Bin ***
Jul 27, 2006
Be smart

I've traveled there 26 times alone. Be respectful to the locals, don't get drunk in public and mind your own business - you'll be fine. Smile alot, be friendly and you'll have the best experience of your life. As basics - Learn how to say "who, what, when, where and why", know your numbers and try to learn as many words as you can - I learn more every trip. You can get "attacked" at any time - where you currently live! - Sosua, in my experience, is very safe for tourists. I feel safer in Sosua than I do in my own city here in the states. Thats why I'm headin' back for trip #27 - 10/14-10/28.
Adios y bueno suerte!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.