PICKERINGS restaurant in Sosua

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Has anybody tried this restaurant in Sosua? Any idea on Sunday's menu and hours of business?

Thanks

J&T's...

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Jeff, it's on the La Mulata road. Instead of turning left towards Las Canas, turn right. I've heard mixed reviews but haven't tried it myself.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Jeff, it's on the La Mulata road. Instead of turning left towards Las Canas, turn right. I've heard mixed reviews but haven't tried it myself.

Thanks Alan, Is that the one that was a thai restaurant at one time?

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Nope, the Thai place is much further up the road. The new chef there is not nearly as good as the previous one so it's off the dining rotation until further notice.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Weve eaten in there a few times, when the father cooks the food is very good, but he doesnt cook often. The rest of the time Im afraid we couldnt recommend it.

The father likes his "tea time", if you know what I mean.

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
Having eaten there several times when the younger chef was cooking, we were very satisfied with the food quality. The Sunday menu is a traditional English-style Sunday dinner, which I believe they do so that the staff can be given a day off.

Hope this helps.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
By the way the younger chef is the son of the older chef, and the slim girl is his wife. It is basically a family run operation. I cannot comment on the food as I have not tried it yet. I just know them from the neighborhood.

BradM

Sep 6, 2007
I went there once and wasn't impressed. The younger chef was cooking, and the food was tasty, but there wasn't much of it, and the price was high. I had the tomato soup (campbells with some other stuff added), RD$150, pork (piece was 10cm x 5cm x 1cm) with a nice sauce and a few potatoes and vegies, RD$220, and desert consisted of 2 small scoops of vanilla ice cream with some hersey's strawberry sauce drizzled on top for RD$150. So with a bottle of water the bill came to just under RD$600, and I was still hungry. I went to another restaurant for supper as this was obviously just an appitizer. I won't be going back any time soon.

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
To get back to the original questions, when we were last there the opening hours were 11.00am to 9.30pm Tuesdays to Sundays. Closed on Mondays.

The do (did) a roast on Sunday lunchtime.

I do not know what people mean when they say they were "impressed" or "not impressed". What are they comparing it with? I doubt whether you would choose it for that special meal to celebrate your golden wedding anniversary, but in our experience we have had consistently friendly and efficient service and food which was good value for the prices they charge. (A friend or ours was however disappointed with their chicken cordon bleu). The daily specials are worth considering. Give it a try!

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Thanks for all of your replies. I guess we'll try it sooner or later and post our thoughts on the food and restaurant.

divintys

Sep 25, 2008
My family and i are new to the dr and have recently got a house in La Mulata where Pickerings is situated and have eaten there 3/4 times and the food was consistantly good and the service was friendly, i believe the opening times are as mambodog stated but i think they now open at 930am for breakfast, (a neighbor mentioned this to me but i'm not sure as i havnt been there that early.
I like the fact that your not bothered by street vendors when you are eating your meal. As for the 2 chefs i've only ever seen the younger one there.
Hope this helps.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
English Food

I've been to England on numerous occasions, among other places. While not meaning to offend any Brit here, but I guess I will anyway, their food is usually overpriced and awful, in my experience, both here and there in the UK! And being an American, they have strange-sounding names for it. And it still doesn't taste good. Just thought I would stir the pot a little. But knowing the folks who have posted here, some of them anyway, if they didn't like it, I likely wouldn't waste my time going to a restaurant on a bad road, with not so good reviews, and non-competitive prices. So now - who have I p****** off here this time? :bunny:

mancunian

Sep 24, 2008
i guess you never had a full english.. or a good sunday roast.. but hey we not the most obese country in the world.... lol.. but you are quite right it is overpriced to the tourists..

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
I've been to England on numerous occasions, among other places. While not meaning to offend any Brit here, but I guess I will anyway, their food is usually overpriced and awful, in my experience, both here and there in the UK! And being an American, they have strange-sounding names for it. And it still doesn't taste good. Just thought I would stir the pot a little. But knowing the folks who have posted here, some of them anyway, if they didn't like it, I likely wouldn't waste my time going to a restaurant on a bad road, with not so good reviews, and non-competitive prices. So now - who have I p****** off here this time? :bunny:

Nobody is comparing it with what you would get in England, but with what you get elsewhere here. The reviews I have seen on this thread are "mixed" and (the last time I tried it) the road wasn't too bad. As I said before, give it a try!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
if you dont try it yourself you will never know from someone elses review- by the way there is a car boot sale tomorrow if you have any stuff you want to buy or sell - I think its held in the afternoon

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is not about the delights of English food per s?, but about one particular restaurant. Please keep it to topic or thread gets boiled in mint sauce.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This is not about the delights of English food per s?, but about one particular restaurant. Please keep it to topic or thread gets boiled in mint sauce.

Ok...but one more semi-off-topic question please...

what exactly is SPOTTED DICK...definitely doesnt sound like something I'd want to eat...more like something one visits the doctor for :ninja: