Kat DeLuna gets booed after singing national anthem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Wow. I actually like "Whine Up", so I got a little excited when Kat was announced at the beginning of the Cowboys/Eagles game. I guess that some artists just shouldn't sing live.

Seriously, the microphone died in her hands as she was singing. And I think that everyone in the stadium was a little bit sadder when she was done. I have over twenty years of watching monday night football and this is the first time I've seen a singer booed after the national anthem. It was just that bad.

Thing is, the NFL was attempting to honor Hispanic Heritage month. But maybe they should have gotten Marc Anthony or Gloria Esteban. They can actually sing.

Ah well. Kat's still a cutie.

Vince.

yess

Jun 1, 2008
well she certainly wasn't Whitney Houston but she really wasn't all that bad

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Kat DeLuna

That's what happends when you try to re-invent the wheel.
I think their should be a "National Anthem Law" punishable by
a hefty fine and jail time to these singers that try perform
the National Anthem with their own twists.

And don't even think about rapping it because then that would
be punishable by death....LOL

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
She basically sang it the same way during the NBA Playoffs this year and she wasn't booed-

YouTube - Kat singing the National Anthem at Boston Celtics Playoff ga

The people who control her career are trying to make it seem as if she has more natural range than she really does-in her video to "Whine Up"...

YouTube - Kat DeLuna featuring Elephant Man - Whine Up

...she supposedly can belt out opera like it's nothing, but in real life that may not be the case as seen by the way she sang the national anthem in Texas.

But let's not let the fans who booed her off the hook. Booing the national anthem singer when the performance was part of the Hispanic Heritage month celebration? She wasn't as bad as some others I've seen, and it just shows disrespect on their part.

Reactions: M.A.R.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Well.....

Dallas and Philly fans especially are known to be rough crowds (Philly has even been known to boo it's own team on occasion). And I know from experience that Texans take the national anthem very seriously. So I'm not really surprised that they booed Kat, regardless of the fact that it's Hispanic Heritage month.

But I am one of those who believe that she really murdered the song. And she did it in front of, arguably, two of the most patriotic audiences in america, Dallas and Philidelphia. The outcome was predictable. Whether or not it was appropriate or disrespectful is simply a matter of perspective

Now, as I stated previously, I like Kat. And I really like the fact that a dominican pop artist is really doing their thing nowadays. But I think that this particular event was an opportunity to showcase a vocally strong singer of hispanic heritage. Someone who could have really knocked it out of the park. That's what you are expected to do with the national anthem, really nail it. Kat just doesn't have the pipes for the vocal gymnastics she was attempting.

That's not to mean that she's not a good singer. In fact, I'm going to listen to "Whine Up" right now. It invokes some extremely fond memories for me. Not at liberty to go into detail (snickering...).;)

Vince.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I watched the video and honestly, with the addition right at the end I don't think the performance was the least bit scandalous, especially given other artists who have sang it over the years (this from watching many years of sports).

I agree that Texas and the Phillies are no doubt patriotic, but what they did was overboard, if not downright shamefull.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
I watched the video and honestly, with the addition right at the end I don't think the performance was the least bit scandalous, especially given other artists who have sang it over the years (this from watching many years of sports).

I agree that Texas and the Phillies are no doubt patriotic, but what they did was overboard, if not downright shamefull.

What is downright shameful is her performance ! ;)

Eso si estaba horrible !

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What is downright shameful is her performance ! ;)

Eso si estaba horrible !

Well if you have been watching American professional sports since the late 60's what she sang certainly wasn't out of the ordinary nor merited booing - sorry.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
At the end it wasn't great but she did not deserve to get booed, come on!!!!

Oh come on DavidZ you've got to be kiddin me!! Rosanne Barr was disrespectful, there is no comparing here.

I agree with Berzin i thought it was disrespectful on the part of the fans also.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Well if you have been watching American professional sports since the late 60's what she sang certainly wasn't out of the ordinary nor merited booing - sorry.

Well, you're right, but this is about Kat's performance !

She was off key, her voice is breaking, too much teatro going on ..Artists need to tone down when they perform the national anthem.

Eso estaba horrible y ella es una sinverguenza, al cantar asi !

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
At the end it wasn't great but she did not deserve to get booed, come on!!!!

Oh come on DavidZ you've got to be kiddin me!! Rosanne Barr was disrespectful, there is no comparing here.

I agree with Berzin i thought it was disrespectful on the part of the fans also.

Hey, I was being honest...I am a huge sports fan and have seen many, many performances of the National Anthem. I was not comparing her directly to Roseann Barr, but to me her rendition was almost as hard to listen to, and she should not have tried to "make it her own" or whatever she was attempting there...if she sang it the way it was written and just messed up a little, that's one thing, but she tried to show off and failed miserably...

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Really?

Disrespectful for booing a horrible performance? Or maybe you are suggesting that she should be given a pass because it's Hispanic heritage month. Hmm...alright, though I think that this view is a little patronizing, not to mention unfair to those Hispanic artists that can actually sing.

But, okay. Maybe the audience should have just cringed, shook it off, and applauded her horrific performance. All in the name of political correctness. Though, I gotta tell ya, Texans aren't really known for being PC. Blunt, and brutally honest, almost to the point of being uncouth, yes. But hardly ever overly concerned with political correctness.

I probably wouldn't have booed, because I do like Kat. But I wouldn't have applauded either. I just think that her performanced sucked.

Vince.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Again, maybe it wasn't a great performance, but how does she really compare with other singers, past and present, who have sung the nat'l anthem at other venues?

Status
Not open for further replies.