[B]February 2009 tv blackout?[/B]

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
does anyone have an idean how DR is going to handle this. I think this will affect a lot of people in the country.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes I was wondering about it too but anyone that has cable has nothing to worry about. It will only affect people that are using rabbit ears or antennas on their roof tops ;)

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Digital transition

Is it really the case that broadcast TV in the DR is transitioning from analog to digital at the same time as the US? Are there converter box subsidies? I'd assume the majority of dominicans who watch TV will lose signal - a majority does not have cable or dish.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Is it really the case that broadcast TV in the DR is transitioning from analog to digital at the same time as the US? Are there converter box subsidies? I'd assume the majority of dominicans who watch TV will lose signal - a majority does not have cable or dish.

I think it is the other way.

Plenty do have cable!!! Like MrMike said.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
canada is going to be switching in approximately 2011.

i would assume the DR would be around the same time or after that....

anna c is correct.

this will not affect anyone who has (pays) for cable, only those using an antenna or rabbit ears will lose out.

bachatafan

Sep 8, 2008
If only there was a cable blackout too I'd be sure to plan my trip to coincide with it. Saves all those arguments about whether to turn the TV off or not, and gives you a chance to enjoy the other good things of life (both indoors and outdoors). And you can go into a bar without being blasted by some sports event or other, so the customers may actually talk to each other.

Last edited:

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Who said anything about HD?

I highly doubt the local Dominican networks will be switching to digital HD in February...

So do I, but then again, is this about producing and transmitting programs in HD quality? Digital does not automatically imply HD.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
the new DTV will have programs in SD, ED, and HD. a lot of programming is still in SD....