Sewage!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007
I read that the resorts/hotels/motels/bars etc pump their sewage into the sea :disappoin in and around Sosua. Is that true?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
From what I see in Playa Alicia (Casa Marina) it is probably true. After each storm the beach is full with garbage and myself with two residents of Las Terrazas (elderly women) clean it. Nobody else cares.

It looks like Casa Marina has a pipe into the ocean about 200-300 long and dumps things.

Same thing I saw in many hotels in Egypt. If you take a waterbike and go half mile away from the coast you can see the end of the pipe with EVERYTHING going out of it.

My GF could not swim there after seeing it.

I asked people from Casa Marina about their sewage cleanning facilities - and never got any understandeable answer.

So I think that all options are still open until we receive any official report. I do not know where to get this kind of report. I am very interested myself as I swim in the ocean often and from time to time get some skin conditions.

Office of Environment? Office of resorts? Office of buildings? Where?
Anyone knows? I am willing to contact them and to post their response here.

This thread should belong to "Environment" I think.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I read that the resorts/hotels/motels/bars etc pump their sewage into the sea :disappoin in and around Sosua. Is that true?
With the sewage and STD issues in the Dominican Republic, you might want to go somewhere else. :surprised

I hope you will not ask about the pollution and putas next. :cheeky:

Just kidding Sammy.
How long have you been talking about this trip?
Just go already.:cool:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I often wonder why some people are still here -when one looks at the way they portray the place in their postings- are they trying to lower property prices so they can bag a bargain one sometimes wonders or is there some other mystical agenda

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
AK74,
Perhaps this is a good trial run for the new Director of the Environment Department, Senor Maribal.

Any idea how to contact him or his office?

For me personally and for my decisions to buy in DR environment issues are #1 by far. All the rest - irrelevant. Can be found many times cheaper in many other places.

But beautiful ocean and beach - irreplaceable. If they are destroyed because of corporate greed - the whole DR is destroyed.

Those who care about environment - we must unite ana fight. Corporate greed - is a huge strong skilled and rich enemy.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I often wonder why some people are still here -when one looks at the way they portray the place in their postings- are they trying to lower property prices so they can bag a bargain one sometimes wonders or is there some other mystical agenda

You mean your real estate "value" would be better protected if people would use a Forum to shut up, so that a few privileged business could continue to quietly destroy the very fundamentals your real estate sits on? :D

Besides my suspicion that the vast majority of real estate here is completely over valued, crisis or not crisis... I don't think that letting people poop into sea will not hinder those prices to come down. Actually, doing something about it, like raising the attention at government level and by tourists so they don't accept it, may seem rather of help in the times to come, don't you think?

... J-D.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I would appreciate it if you wouldnt tell me what I mean ....your conclusions were not correct...thank you

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Sosua has a sewage system to which the hotels are obliged to connect.

What a relief to have someone with some definite information finally! Is this obligation adopted as a form of a legally binding document? Did you see it? Any symbol by chance? Enforced? Monitored? How? By whom? Without loopholes? Without exceptions? Without personal favors and special treatments?

And the sewage system, it goes to where ? Is there any sewage treatment plant in Sosua? Any idea of its location? In Cabarete too?

If you could also share this information it will be appreciated as a good friend of mine is considering some RE options and informed answers to these questions will be of big help.

Thank you in advance, Joe!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
For me personally and for my decisions to buy in DR environment issues are #1 by far. All the rest - irrelevant.

Hey, I have a friend with an environmentally friendly home. Fully self sufficient with solar, disposes of sewage properly, and comes with certificates showing US$10,000 in pre-purchased carbon credits included gratis.

There's even a big pile of empty Presidente and Brugal bottles out back ready for you to recycle to your heart's content. Some misc paper blowing around the yard on windy days that can be recycled, too. The smell from the compost heap is not too bad if it's not a hot day (usually 3 - 5 days mid February). Termites are eating the foundation & furniture (since he won't hurt a fellow living creature), the ants & cockroaches & the occasional tarantula are running rampant (same reason), it's overpriced, not in the best location, & the owner's going to raise the price to pay my 15% commission - but since all of that's irrelevant... let's make a deal. :tired:

Last edited:

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
ak:

Google is your friend, but I'm happy to get you started:

Dominican Republic - Wastewater Disposal in Tourism Centers Project

If you search around the site, you can see all sorts of documents, reports etc.

I knew that finally I will get the good info, thank you!

So, in year 2000 a project proposal was suggested on creation a sewage treatment facility in Sosua.

Eight years passed since then.
Any idea why it was not yet materialized and when it can be realistically implemented? And who will pay for it?

And where all the sewage and waste from los Charomicos, Casa Marina and other hotels go to now, today, untlil that time when the above mentionned project or something similar will be translated from paper into real pipes and filters?

Any ideas?

Sorry for this many questions but it seems that you are the only person who knows about the subject.

Thank you, Joe!

I hope my questions about location of sewage treatment facility in Sosua are not irritating. I believe many other potential relocators/buyers want to know this little secret as well. That is why we all read our beloved DR.1. To get important information.

! Gracias!

Mar 2, 2008
CFA123,
What does your cute little story have to do with the original post?

It certainly has nothing to do with AK's concerns about sewer treatment.

If you have some point to make you should attempt to make it. Otherwise you are just wasting everyone's time with your foolishness.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Very simple, catcher. I'll explain the point of my 'cute little story'.

I wasn't responding to AK74's sewage question (as you noticed), but to AK74's comment which I quoted (if you'll look). AK74 says the environment as his #1 concern in buying a house. As posted by him, 'everything else is irrelevant'. Now that in my opinion is foolishness. ;)

Last edited:

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
Yes! What is the point of this thread. It was started by a guy coming down on a weeks vacation which it sounded like he couldn't afford anyway. Those who live here know the history and know any new installations are under new guide lines but the old sewer system is a problem that won't soon be fixed.

Mar 2, 2008
I wasn't responding to AK74's sewage question (as you noticed), but to AK74's comment which I quoted (if you'll look). AK74 says the environment as his #1 concern in buying a house. As posted by him, 'everything else is irrelevant'. Now that in my opinion is foolishness.

CFA123, my failed attempt at sarcasm aside, your example didn't feature a environmently sound property at all, so it is difficult for me to understand why you would present it in comparison to what AK74 was tlking about.

Just because someone owns carbon credits (whatever they represent) doesn't mean they live an environmentally compatable life-style, or that their home is environmentally sound.

That is the premise I am questioning. It is like you are associating AK with this environmental disaster of a property, which is way off base.

Maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying, but it just struck me as something unrelated to what the thread, or AK, was trying to address.

But I think DominicanBilly has struck the nail on the head anyway.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I wasn't responding to AK74's sewage question (as you noticed), but to AK74's comment which I quoted (if you'll look). AK74 says the environment as his #1 concern in buying a house. As posted by him, 'everything else is irrelevant'. Now that in my opinion is foolishness.

CFA123, my failed attempt at sarcasm aside, your example didn't feature a environmently sound property at all, so it is difficult for me to understand why you would present it in comparison to what AK74 was tlking about.

Just because someone owns carbon credits (whatever they represent) doesn't mean they live an environmentally compatable life-style, or that their home is environmentally sound.

That is the premise I am questioning. It is like you are associating AK with this environmental disaster of a property, which is way off base.

Maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying, but it just struck me as something unrelated to what the thread, or AK, was trying to address.

But I think DominicanBilly has struck the nail on the head anyway.

Thank you for support and understanding of my position. AMOF I have no any reasonable explanation of this attack and calling me foolish and for taking my words off the context.
What was said is (sorry for quoting myself!): " For me personally and for my decisions to buy in DR environment issues are #1 by far. All the rest - irrelevant. Can be found many times cheaper in many other places."

That clearly means that the attractiveness and uniquness and value of this country 90% is crystal clear Caribbean water and spotless Caribbean beaches.

Everything else (affordable lodging, non expensive food, beautiful loving ladies, eternal summer without cold and freedom of stress) can be found in many other countries and substantially cheaper (Bolivia, Paraguai, Argentina, Vietnam, Thailand, Tunisia, Crimea, Turkey,Malasia, Cypris, Portugal, Bulgaria, Croatia and some others). The only advantage of Dominican Republic over them is its Caribbean Beauty.

If it loses it - I dare suggest it loses as well a major part of its attractiveness for retirees, expats, investors.

The very foundation of this island and of the value of its RE - is clean environment, ocean water, sand of the beach. This is our future and our money. If we allow big businesses to destroy it to satisfy their greed - we lose both.

And it is in danger now due to risk of overdevelopment and pollution. To protect it we all must act as one.

I am very concerned about openning the Sosua Bay to monstrous cruise ships for refuelling, repairs and maintanance. About building new big hotels and beach front condos. All this is decided in secrecy. Without public and transparent discussing of consecuences for the fragile ecosystem.

Sorry for this long post, but those who take this issue to heart will understand me I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.