Has a Dominican, MARRIED to a Canadian, ever been approved for a VISITOR VISA?

todiscover

May 17, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I have searched high and low through these threads and cant seem to find anyone in a similar situation as me.

I am married to a Dominican and are in the process of waiting for his PR application to be approved. I have already received confirmation of being approved as a sponsor.

Has anyone on this board ever applied for a Visitor Visa after being married and approved for sponsorship, and been accepted to visit?

If so, what was your experience at the interview?
What did they look for outside of the what is listed as documents needed to apply?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I don't have any experience with this, but it is my understanding that it is next to impossible to get a visitors visa, especially if you have already applied for a permanent residence visa because what's to say they'll go back to DR when they visa has expired if they get the visitors visa. I did hear of one girl who got a visitors visa to Canada for her boyfriend, but her situation was very very specific. She had lived in Dominican Republic growing up and met this guy. He was like a son to her parents... they moved back to Canada... she continued to date the guy... her mother grew ill and her dying wish was to see her daughters bf visit Canada... and he was granted the visitors visa... so it is possible, but highly unlikely... and very unfair. I hope things move quickly for the permanent residence visa! All the best.

todiscover

May 17, 2007
Hi Tink,
thanks for your message. I know of that story.
However, I honestly feel that if you are already married, have been approved as a sponsor, and full disclose you have intentions of returning and ask to visitor for a specific reason ie: christmas, birthday, annivesary, etc. that it would make a difference.

i am hoping someone on this thread has a "married application" experience to share with me. Just to see.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I do hope you're right! But I've heard of people who have been pregnant and waiting on a visa, and want their husband to be at the birth of their baby (obviously!!!) and they don't get the visa. It seems very cold and heartless. Maybe you'll luck out and get an immigration officer working on your case who actually really cares. Good luck with everything! I hope you hear some good and encouraging stories from others who have gone through the same thing.

Laura

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
Hi,

I didn't think that it was possible to have more than ONE visa application in process... in other words, I don't think that you can apply for a visitor visa if you are currently in the process of your sposual visa.

Correct me if I am wrong...

Angel :)

Dash_AME

Oct 2, 2008
The immigration act does allow for dual intent. You can apply for a visitor while undergoing a PR application but all the standard requirements must be met most important the officer must be satisfied that the applicant will leave Canada.
Dash

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
oh ok... I was under the impression that a person could only have one visa application in process at a time (as she has one sposual visa in process and then wanted to do a visitor visa at the same time for him)

anyway, good info to know. :)

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Even though you can have a permanent visa and a visitors visa in process at the same time, I think it's highly unlikely that the visitors visa will be granted because if they're already in the country they're waiting for the PR visa for, why would they bother leaving (at least that's the way I think the immigration officers look at it). Again, not fair at all!

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I know a couple who recently applied for a Visitor's Visa and when they asked the Immigration Officer what their chances were, she replied, not very good. They asked why and the response was because you are already married. They then said should they have applied before they got married? And the response was that their chances still wouldn't have been very good becasue then they were not married. Go figure. She told them just start your papers for Permanent Residency.

todiscover

May 17, 2007
This is all very interesting. Its amazing how the process works. You are pretty mucy damned either way.
My husband is right...this whole VV thing is a lottery. It has less to do with process but more to do with luck. I read of people who in my mind have great cases and should be approved, but then find out that they are declined for reasons that totall dont make sense.

We are still going to go ahead with our application and see how our luck turns out. Its unfortunate that we have to spend lots of time and money to play this game, but we figure its worth a shot. If by chance we get approved for the VV, we get to spend more time together while waiting for PR. If we get declined, we will accept it and just keep on going the way we have been. Let's see how lucky we are :)

My husband actually has a friend who has been in a long term relationship with a Candian woman and they have a child together. They have never been married, however, she has been living in the DR with him for a few years now. She owns an apartment down there etc. She returns to Canada a few times a year for a couple of months. Anyway, they applied for a VV for him to join her and their child to Canada for a vacation and he got approved. They have actually done this twice now.
When i look at this situation, I think that if i were immigration i would have declined him in the sense that why wouldnt he stay in Canada? He has a relationship with this canadian and a child together. However, they approved him.

See...You just never know!!!

Lexi, how is your husband liking Canada? He's been here almost a month now right?

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
visiting/sponsoring

Hi!

I'm also married to a Dominican and have applied for a visitor visa after being married.That was denied. Then, I applied to sponsor him and my request was granted. We did not have to go through an interview. A letter was sent explaining why it was refused. If you'd like I'll let you know in details what the letter said ( I have to look for it). But you should know that once you're married they almost never grant a temporary resident visa precisely because you are married. They figure that the married couple is not seriously thinking about separating once the visa is expired... From what I heard,it worked before. But apparently too many people took advantage of that.

I hope I helped with your question.

todiscover

May 17, 2007
So, we took a chance and applied for the Visitor Visa anyone.
Although dual intent is acceptable, we were denied.
Basically, the lettter stated that he didnt have enough ties to his home country and they didnt think he would leave Canada.

Although that wasnt our intent, what can we do but now just wait for the PR to kick in. It was quite disappointing as i wanted him here for the holidays, but that just means that I have to spend the holidays in the sunshine... :)
I leave tomorrow ....

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Hi todiscover!

I did the same thing when I got married... I agree, quite a disappointment....I'l spare the whole story...Now I'm waiting for the PR, and just like you, I'll be spending the Holidays under the the sun. I'll be leaving Sunday morning!

Happy Holidays!

masipanda

Feb 19, 2009
hi. i am currently in a long distance relationship with a dominican. it is quite difficult with the long distance phone calls from canada and the communication breakdown with the language....... however ,,, ansence makes the heart grow fonder!!!!any input on long distance phone pans , i think its worth a try to stay in touch .... and i am so curious about him getting here for a short visit. i have a very stable job and financially everything looks good on paper. any info that can be passed on to me? thanks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
i am so curious about him getting here for a short visit. i have a very stable job and financially everything looks good on paper. any info that can be passed on to me? thanks

Please read all the threads on visitor visas to Canada.
Canada issues extremely few visitor visas. It's not about you or what you have but rather him proving to our Immigration that he has strong enough ties to the DR to return home when his visa expires.

Taken from Visiting Canada: Who is eligible

To visit Canada, you must:
  • have a valid travel document, such as a passport
  • be in good health
  • satisfy an immigration officer that you have ties, such as a job, home and family, that will take you back to your country of origin
  • satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit and
  • have enough money for your stay. The amount of money you will need can vary with the circumstances of the visit, how long you will stay and whether you will stay in a hotel or with friends or relatives. For more information, ask the Canadian visa office in your country or region.
Here's the website for the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo in Spanish. Allow him to read it and do this on his own.

Do a search for phone plans. There's always Skype or phone cards.