imports.

A

aristoba

Does anybody know the latest regulations regarding imports.
what a new resident is allowed to bring in.
It used to be a container with personal goods at greatly reduced import duties.
one was allowed a car as well.
is this all still inforce?

K

Keith R

Aristoba,

As far as I know, you can still receive an "exoneration" from a large percentage of import duties for a container of purely personal items plus a car IF you are Dominican-born (and thus considered a "returning Dominican") or a foreigner with a valid residency (NOT just the residency visa that precedes award of actual residency status). This makes your duties paid at about 1/10 what they would be otherwise. Take note, however, that (a) the inspector checking your container can arbitrarily decide that some items are "business" and not "personal" and therefore not subject to exoneration; (b) you must not sell the vehicle for two years after release from customs -- if you do, someone must pay the government the hefty amount "exonerated." This latter point is important and not well-understood. No one had clarified this to my wife and I and we tried to sell our car 1 yr 10 mos. after its release from customs in order to get a more recent model used car. We had arranged a great price in a private sale, only to have it scuttled when a lawyer pointed out that the buyer would have to pay something like US$3,600 in taxes to the government if the sale was finalized. Naturally, the buyer baulked...

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Keith R