Getting to Punta Cana from Cabarete

vhauger

Nov 24, 2005
What is the best way to get from Cabarete to Punta Cana? Are there buses that run from Cabarete or should i just rent a car?

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Renting a car and gas prices, if you have money you have money to burn, sure. If not Caribe Tours from Sosua to Santo Dom and then there is another bus company that goes to Punta Cana........I made the trip to the airport from Santa Dom by bus in Sept. for approx. 360 pesos. It appeared very few people have knowledge how to. Also you can look into one of the small airlines going from Porta Plata to Punta Cana leaving in the morning around 6am for about $200 us, one way or $366 us, round trip. I made the mistake of paying for a round trip from Punta Cana and was unable to get a return trip, trying to save $34 and catching hell and a run around getting a refund, oh, just found the reciept ( TAKEOFF -travel agency & tour operator ). The flight was fine, but not being able to get a return flight or money back, even though I went to their home base in a small town outside of Punta Cana was very frustrating, when told they didn,t have the money. Now my favorite airline ,US AIRWAYS doesn't fly to Dom Rep anymore.

So you will probably find it a challenge, either way. I think there are two small airlines that go there, but out of convenius I would still fly, hey, it's DR, just roll with the punches.

Last edited:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Flying is an alternative... but an expensive one

There are also daily flights from POP to PUJ (both ways).
They are expensive thou.

Regular Flights
If you are more than 2 people you might want to consider chartering a small plane.

Don't consider renting a car for a long trip like that one, unless you have a record of being comfortable driving in Latin America.

Caribe Tours or Metro Tours from Sosua or Puerto Plata via Santiago to Santo Domingo (4 to 5 hrs) and then an other bus to Punta Cana via San Pedro de Macoris, La Romana and Higuey (2 to 3 hrs). Might run up to to 600 Pesos (USD 17.oo) one-way per person. You might prefer to stay one night in Santo Domingo.

... J-D.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
The biggest part is the name and address of the bus company in Santo Domingo, it was close to where I was staying, near the malicon, but I might have a hard time finding it again, and I don't know how many locals know the bus company that leaves out of Santo Dom to Punta Cana, the attendant at the hotel where I stayed didn't know and nobody in Sosua could tell me, but I wasn't thinking quick enough to ask Rocky. At the time it was hard for me, because I was suffering from a medium case of food poisoning, I got from eating meatballs, from a roadside restaurant, don't want to see any for a while, including right now, here in Philly.

So my concern is the name of the bus company out of Santo Domingo and distance from the other bus company, I am adventurist , but would prefer to have the option of whether to stay overnight............. I am aware I might be overplaying it a bit because of my personal situation, at that time.....

With the cost of gas at somewhere around 6 or 7 dollars a gallon and rental , one way, and road conditions, questionable and airfare around $200 US, Those two buses with the taxi in between, would be the way to go and that 2nd bus dropped me off in front of the Airport in Punt Cana.............

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I agree. Take the Caribe Tours or Metro Bus out of Sosua and then a RD$150 cab to the Expreso B?varo station. The Expreso Bavaro costs RD$325 for the four-hour trip with a short stop in San Pedro de Macor?s. The bus departs in Santo Domingo from Calle Juan S?nchez Ram?rez #31, near the intersection with M?ximo G?mez Avenue (Gazcue), Tel 809 682-9670. The bus leaves at 7, 10am, 2 and 4pm to Ver?n and Friusa stations, with an extra 2:55pm bus departure for the stop at Punta Cana International Airport. Seating is first come, first served. Allow at least half an hour before departure time. Bring a jacket, as these buses can be very cold.