autistic child at Breezes, Puerta Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebkr

Oct 11, 2004
We are arriving on Wednesday and are wondering what might be the best building. Our 10 year old has high functioning autism, so we want to be on the second floor (wandering issues) and away from the street and cars. We would like to see the pool or ocean because that keeps him amused and happy on the balcony if we are taking a break, but without late-night noise from animation to which he is sensitive. Any suggestions regarding the preferable locations at the resort? Many thanks! We always take him at this time of year because it is his birthday and he can have "instant friends" and a party there, which he sadly cannot have in the US. So this is a big deal, every year.

Also, we are flying into and out of Santiago. I can probably find that information on this forum, but if anyone reading this has a suggestion we would appreciate it!

ebkr

Oct 11, 2004
Yes, he is always under constant supervision. This is his 8th visit to the DR so we have a lot of vacation experience, just not at Breezes. We always get a second floor room to prevent the urge to wander off the terrace in some rare moment. The question is, is one Breezes building more suitable for a special needs kid than another....

Thanks.

JRMirador

Snap!
Oct 15, 2008
Las Lomas de Azua
... We would like to see the pool or ocean because that keeps him amused and happy on the balcony if we are taking a break...

I was sent a private message by the moderator of this forum, suggesting that my answer was inappropriate or irrelevant. Actually, I became concerned by the your statement in your post, which I understood that the child would be left alone for periods of time ('breaks'). Personally, I'm not familiar with Breezes. I would leave your question to another poster.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hello, I would recommend building eight's second floor corner room that's overlooking the Ocean. Its a lovely lock off unit that's been remodeled recently and because of the second floor you're less likely to be bothered by mosquito's due to the recent rains that are expected to be over by the time you arrive...

Also the same building overlooks the pool on the other side if this units not available.

Good luck and good trip :)

ebkr

Oct 11, 2004
Thanks for the tip

I will call and see if building eight is available. It sounds just right for our needs. Thanks so much for the suggestion The right room can make or break the entire experience for us.

Just to cover the earlier point, by "taking a break" I meant from the pool and sun. No one with an autistic child can ever really take a break. But then again, it is sometimes necessary that we do things like talk to one another or lift something heavy as a couple, or use the bathroom and care for another child simultaneously, so we know the high maintenance involved and of the toll and consequences of perpetual high vigilence. I guess it is not much of a vacation by most standards, because we really never can turn our backs for a second, but, hey, we love him and he loves the DR, so it is not a cross to bear. I'm not offended by what JRMirador said; it was just a miscommunication.

Anyway, many thanks. Now we just have to get from the Santiago airport to Breezes! I guess we'll rent a car; we have done that a couple of times in the DR. Tough driving but we have not seen too many alternatives. I tried to contact a driver but no response.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Anyway, many thanks. Now we just have to get from the Santiago airport to Breezes! I guess we'll rent a car; we have done that a couple of times in the DR. Tough driving but we have not seen too many alternatives. I tried to contact a driver but no response.

Send a PM to "Bachata", he has a few good contacts for STI chauffeurs.

tambo'

sunny2

Apr 7, 2006
ebkr, I have been to the Breezes resort three times and if memory serves me correctly building 8 is between the pool and the beach so you may get some trafffic in the late evening. Buildings 10 and 11 are newer and set away from the main area of the resort, they aren't far from things but very quiet.

On our first trip there my friend took her son who has Downs Syndrome and they stayed in the villa area, buildings 1-3 because they are in clusters of 4 as opposed to a large building with a lot of foot traffic. I have to tell you that the staff were outstanding when dealing with her son, they went out of their way to be good to him. The day he was leaving all the waiters and entertainment staff lined up to say good-bye to him.

One word of caution, the resort is not very well lit at night so be very careful when navigating around the pool to return to your room.

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Building 10-11 are at the front of the resort and you have a view of either the small golf course or the front of the resort. I would also suggest going to buliding 8 or one of the other bulidings near the ocean. True the resort isn't lit well so I would be careful. The traffic in the evening isn't that bad with one of the Ocaen View buliding. The Villas are good to, but there are only one floor with access to the outside right at the door.

I have been to Breezes and stayed there about 10 times. If you have any other questions feel free to call me.

Cheers
Erin

ebkr

Oct 11, 2004
great feedback

Thank you so muc for all this information. The DR and the people who live and visit are just so great and caring. I think that we will have a wonderful time. Our son is so excited he just can't sleep. He lives for these visits! We all love it, but none more than he. He can just be himself and have fun, which makes us so happy to see! Breezes sounds like it will be a good stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.