Flying in on Dec 5th, I'm looking forward!

IrishBuckeye

Dec 1, 2008
I'm coming to the DR from Ohio for the first time on December 5th. I'm flying into Santo Domingo touching down around 3pm. A friend from Santiago is picking me up and a coworker and friend with family in the DR has offered me a place to stay in Santo Domingo. That day I fly in, Friday, I hope to take some tour of the city, see the old colonies there and what not and hope to grab something good to eat and go out that night, any suggestions? On things not to miss?

On Saturday I plan on going to a Southern beach with my friend, I'm hoping about a drive of no more 2 hours. If someone has any suggestions of what beach area I should go to and the pro of cons that would be great. It looks like Isla Saona is over 3 hours from the capitol, not sure if it would be worth going to or not.

Sunday I'm heading to Santiago, where again I will be staying with my friends family for the week. Not sure what I will do during the week, I hope to make it to a mountain so I can do some day hiking, any suggestions? I will have access to a car. Any day trip suggestions?

The following weekend I plan on going to a Northern Beach, maybe Sosua. I then fly out monday afternoon.

I don't know Spanish, I know this is going to cripple my trip heavily but what can I do ehh.