Cheapest way to get to hotel in POP from SDQ airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmchiera

Dec 5, 2008
Hi,

My daughter is getting married in May, 2009 and going to stay at BlueBay Villa Doradas in POP but to fly in to that Airport the fare is ridiculous, so we decided to fly into Santa Domingo where the fare is a fourth the price; anyway we have looked at taking the Caribe tours to POP but how much is it to take a taxi from SDQ airport to Caribe tours and then take a taxi again fromthe bus stop in POP to the hotel? Do the taxis charge extra for a second person? Also, on other threads I understand the bus to be about $8.00 USD per person, is that correct?

Thanks,
Karen

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Karen,

Take a cab from the airport to the Caribe Tours or Metro bus stations (about $500 pesos - 15 USD). Hop on a bus to Puerto Plata (about 300 pesos - 9 USD). Once in puerto plata take a cab to the hotel. All in all you shouldn't spend more than 40 - 50 USD per person.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Cab from SDQ into town is more like RD$1,000. RD$800 minimum and that was a while ago.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Cab from SDQ into town is more like RD$1,000. RD$800 minimum and that was a while ago.

Wow!!! It's been a while since I last did this. Last time I did it was back in 2004. Didn't know it was that much.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005

Actually the current rate for a taxi from the official dispatcher, just to left of the exit from the Arrivals Hall is a little more, about 1300 pesos to most destinations in/around the Zona Colonial. I've heard that it can be done for a couple of hundred pesos less by going upstairs to the Departures level and picking up a taxi that has just dropped off a passenger, but unless you're prepared to hump your suitcases up there on the chance of getting a slightly cheaper ride in a possibly "pirate" taxi, I'd be inclined to pay the extra 5 bucks.

Bryan

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hi,

My daughter is getting married in May, 2009 and going to stay at BlueBay Villa Doradas in POP but to fly in to that Airport the fare is ridiculous, so we decided to fly into Santa Domingo where the fare is a fourth the price; anyway we have looked at taking the Caribe tours to POP but how much is it to take a taxi from SDQ airport to Caribe tours and then take a taxi again fromthe bus stop in POP to the hotel? Do the taxis charge extra for a second person? Also, on other threads I understand the bus to be about $8.00 USD per person, is that correct?

Thanks,
Karen
Where are you fying from? From NJ, the fares to POP and SDQ run ABOUT the same (except around some of the holidays).

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
from Toronto, if you're booking a week or 2 before departute prices are about the same, in many cases POP is cheaper than SDQ.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I said it was a while ago :) - it's about a year-and-a-half since I took one of those taxis to/from the airport, so I'm not surprised.

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
take a taxi to the highway (about a miles ) (100 peso)

Take any bus passby on the highway toward Santo Dominigo ( 50- 70 peso )and then take taxi to bus station (200 peso ). You have to speak a llittle spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.