Sosua, Puerto Plata or Caberete ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
Hey, I have now been some weeks here in Sosua, my first visit to DR.
Sosua is a nice town, there is a lot of bar and restaurants here.

But I wonder if I shall try to be at a place where it is some more activity, than only bar and restaurants. Or is it best to come back to Sosua again ?

I am a lonely traveller, can speak some Spanish.
Have lived several years in Cuba, where I often come in contact with the local people. It is not so easy here.
And there is so many beautifully girls here, but they are so bad, so I have give them up.
I shall not complain to much,but..

I am thinking about maybe come back to DR in February, and stay two to three months here.
So my question is:
Would I as a lonely tourist be happier to stay in Puerto Plata or maybe Caberete ?
Can I easier get in contact with the local people, also other tourists, maybe find a better girl, and have little more to do there ?

And I would happy if some know a apartment house or hotel with a little kitchen in the room. Close to activities and safe, and not to expensive.

Will also like advices about places to stay in Sousa , too, if I decide to come back here.

Dominios, close to hotel Europa has cheap offers, but look not to safe.
And where is The Palms in Sosua?

Thank you..

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hey, I have now been some weeks here in Sosua, my first visit to DR.
Sosua is a nice town, there is a lot of bar and restaurants here.

But I wonder if I shall try to be at a place where it is some more activity, than only bar and restaurants. Or is it best to come back to Sosua again ?

I am a lonely traveller, can speak some Spanish.
Have lived several years in Cuba, where I often come in contact with the local people. It is not so easy here.
And there is so many beautifully girls here, but they are so bad, so I have give them up.
I shall not complain to much,but..

I am thinking about maybe come back to DR in February, and stay two to three months here.
So my question is:
Would I as a lonely tourist be happier to stay in Puerto Plata or maybe Caberete ?
Can I easier get in contact with the local people, also other tourists, maybe find a better girl, and have little more to do there ?

And I would happy if some know a apartment house or hotel with a little kitchen in the room. Close to activities and safe, and not to expensive.

Will also like advices about places to stay in Sousa , too, if I decide to come back here.

Dominios, close to hotel Europa has cheap offers, but look not to safe.
And where is The Palms in Sosua?

Thank you..

You seem to have enjoyed and been disappointed in all that Sosua offers,

Dominoes does not deliver in Sosua, but there is a Pizza Hut near POP.

The restaurant at the Europa is closed and is currently for rent and or closed!

The Palms, which you have two of, in case you miss your flight, are next to the Tradewinds condos.

You should contact Marc at he folling link Rocky's Rock & Blues Bar and Hotel, Sosua - Dominican Republic

He is the preferred vendor and has a great restaurant with,

"Good Food @ Great Prices" tm.....pc

Last edited:

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
Not Pizza..

Haha...:surprised

Thanks Mike.:classic:
I don't talk about Pizza, but the apartment hotel Dominos, hehe..
I have never eaten a domino pizza in all my life, is not in my country..

Tradewinds ??
I have no idea where they are either, any address to Palms or direction ?
I have visit Rocky bar and shall try to prove his famous spare ribs before I leave.
But food is no problem here In DR, like in Cuba..

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Haha...:surprised

Thanks Mike.:classic:
I don't talk about Pizza, but the apartment hotel Dominos, hehe..
I have never eaten a domino pizza in all my life, is not in my country..

Tradewinds ??
I have no idea where they are either, any address to Palms or direction ?
I have visit Rocky bar and shall try to prove his famous spare ribs before I leave.
But food is no problem here In DR, like in Cuba..

Tradewinds is a nice complex 5 minutes walk across the highway from Domino Bar, Mike is boracho but meant well, he just got a little excited when he thought you mentioned stuffed crust pizza.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
2506nf7.gif

green trail/blue spots = trip from Rocky's Hotel to Tradewinds/Rocky's Condos

green trail/red spot = trip from clubs to Tradewinds/Rocky's Condos

It's about a 15-minute walk from the condos to the beach.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There are big differences between Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete, but luckily the three are close enough to each other, with Sosua directly in the middle, that you could check out PP and Cabarete in a day, or a day each and decide for yourself. There is probably more "non-bar" activities in PP, but Cabarete is definitely a more "fun" place to be. In eithere PP or Cabarete it's probably easier to meet a "good girl"...but "bad girls" can be found pretty easily too... :bunny:

However, if you're not really into the beach or water sports, Cabarete could get pretty boring...especially if you're staying for 2 or 3 months. I suggest you pick any of the three spots as your "home base" and plan on taking some day, or overnight trips around the country...you'll have plenty to do and see during your stay.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
in 2 or three months you should travel around. with DR1 people everywhere i think you should go and visit with them. your chances of a "good girl" may increase away from the tourist areas....

bebeto007

Mar 22, 2008
I recommend you a daytrip to Santiago. In Plaza International there is also Dominos Pizza available!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i recommend a day trip to the mountains...talk about "untouched" beauty....wow !!

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
I recommend you a daytrip to Santiago. In Plaza International there is also Dominos Pizza available!

I was about to suggest this myself. Believe me, I understand your dilemma. I mean, the North Coast is fun and all. But I get bored if I'm there for more than a week. Then I usually head to Santiago. Big city, better night life.

Since you spent some time in Cuba, I am assuming that you speak at least some spanish. Therefore, you shouldn't have a problem getting out and seeing other parts of the DR. It's a beautiful country. And a lotta fun to boot!

Have fun.

Vince.:glasses:

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
2506nf7.gif

green trail/blue spots = trip from Rocky's Hotel to Tradewinds/Rocky's Condos

green trail/red spot = trip from clubs to Tradewinds/Rocky's Condos

It's about a 15-minute walk from the condos to the beach.

Thanks for the map, is this far from the car wash place,German restaurant and store, Paracio de Colon, on the way to Cabarete ?

I ask Rocky about his Condos for some weeks ago, but I understand he don't rent them out anymore.

A

apostropheman

For the record...I just confirmed with "Rocky" and he is still renting his condos.
Perhaps he did not have anything available for the dates you needed.
Thanks for the map, is this far from the car wash place,German restaurant and store, Paracio de Colon, on the way to Cabarete ?

I ask Rocky about his Condos for some weeks ago, but I understand he don't rent them out anymore.

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
There are big differences between Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete, but luckily the three are close enough to each other, with Sosua directly in the middle, that you could check out PP and Cabarete in a day, or a day each and decide for yourself. There is probably more "non-bar" activities in PP, but Cabarete is definitely a more "fun" place to be. In eithere PP or Cabarete it's probably easier to meet a "good girl"...but "bad girls" can be found pretty easily too... :bunny:

However, if you're not really into the beach or water sports, Cabarete could get pretty boring...especially if you're staying for 2 or 3 months. I suggest you pick any of the three spots as your "home base" and plan on taking some day, or overnight trips around the country...you'll have plenty to do and see during your stay.

Good advice.

I think I will follow your advice, take the first two weeks in Santa Domingo and a few days in Cabarete.

But I am not to sure about Puerto Plata.
I think I know can find good places to live in Sosua, Santa Domingo, and Cabarete. But I would like to have some recommendation about not to expencive places to live in Puerto Plata.

And nobody has any information and experience about this Domino apartment (not the pizza,:glasses: ), it is very cheap and good location, but I understand some Haitians also live there, so I am little concern about the service and safety

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Those appartment on Plaza Sosua should be safe enough, but for a guy from Tveita who's not into any beach life, I think Puerto Plata would be the best choice.

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
Those appartment on Plaza Sosua should be safe enough, but for a guy from Tveita who's not into any beach life, I think Puerto Plata would be the best choice.

Hei, Tor
I was at the beach this morning and tried the water and eat break first at Tom, place, I had party all night and not slept a minute..:paranoid:

Yes, I would also like to spend some time in Puerto Plata, but where and how to find a reasonable hotel with a little kitchen ?
That my biggest problem now ?

I find it little strange that nobody has some information and knowledge about a place to stay in Puerto Plata.

And I will soon go back to Cuba, and than will internet be very difficult and expensive to use.
I had hoped I could go to Puerto Plata, before go back to Sousa again,but it seems I have to go to Sousa, first and than take a day trip and look around for a place to live in Puerto Plata.

Maybe I see you tomorrow at the beach, or in February .

PS. Has any at the beach bar, seen my Di Kappa cap, believe I lost it there for some time ago.

Chau..

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
sosua got ex-pats/beach/good food by day and discos/bars/chicas by night. what else do you need ?

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Depends.

So which place has the best nightlife/girls cabarete, sousua or santiago?

How's your spanish?

If your spanish is good and you're willing to dress a little nicer (no cargo pants/shorts, t-shirts, other tourist gear), then Santiago blows Sosua out of the water as far as nightlife/girls are concerned. It simply has more options.

The only thing better in Sosua/Caberette are the accomodations (not very many vacation rentals in Santiago) and the beach (Santiago doesn't have one).

Vince.

Status
Not open for further replies.