Biometri coincidence?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
I was looking through the JCE's website for information on the new biometric system and noticed an odd coincidence. On the flyer of the new Bio ID's there is a signature on the top left corner. Coincidentally it reads, "R.G Mugabe," which is the name of the Zimbabwean President, Robert Gabriel Mugabe.

But a look on wikipedia and one sees that the JCE "lifted" Mugabe's signature and just added it onto the poster. Why would the JCE do this? Why the signature of Mugabe, and not of Leonel Fernandez or the JCE president Julio Cesar Castanos Guzman?

Is this just another example of Dominican ineptness: "cut and paste and it'll do," a simple mistake, or an example of who Dominican politicians aspire to be like? Is there a message in this.....

Oh and now the $1 Zimbawean dollar = US$1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.29

JCE Flyer:

Mugabe's Signature:

Really bored at work....

Mr. Lu

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Is there a message in this.....

Really bored at work....

Mr. Lu

Really observant too! Maybe Mugabe is going to become the latest Baby Boomer to move here to retire in the DR? Maybe he has paid the Government a lot of money to ensure his safety? Maybe that was the signature on the cheque.........? ;)

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Yes I guess so?!?

He joins other quite notable figures like Posada Carriles to roam free in certain countries ala' Dominican way...

Question is: Would it be more practical and less privacy-invasive to had used a signature from a Dominican citizen to post all around for the biometric campaign, or maybe, just maybe, the signature of a figure that can be said to have a very limited life span by African standards and of little consequential security risks to show up with a JCE's ID to the DR's elections???

The clock is ticking away waiting for your answer to this one...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It can only be an act of political satire and commentary. Someone in the design department has an evil sense of humour.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes I guess so?!?

He joins other quite notable figures like Posada Carriles to roam free in certain countries ala' Dominican way...

Question is: Would it be more practical and less privacy-invasive to had used a signature from a Dominican citizen to post all around for the biometric campaign, or maybe, just maybe, the signature of a figure that can be said to have a very limited life span by African standards and of little consequential security risks to show up with a JCE's ID to the DR's elections???

The clock is ticking away waiting for your answer to this one...

They could have just made one up, like they do in most other graphic design houses. It's not brain surgery!

I think Chiri hit the nail on the head. Nice call Mr. Lu!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Wait, you actually think it was random and not deliberate?!
Injecting into this thread the possibility that it may be random does not mean that I believe it was random and it doesn't mean that I believe it was deliberate, either.

Its shocking that after years of debating with so many people and on so many threads here, that there are DR1ers that still think that every post I make represents my beliefs!

Maybe it was random or maybe it was not. The point is that the only person that knows for sure is the person that designed the flyer and that person is not here to clear things. Until then, making sure both sides are presented in the argument doesn't mean that any particular person believes one way or another.

-NALs :ermm:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Here is an interesting turn of events. So I went ahead and contacted the JCE and asked to speak with the person charged with the website and design of the flyer. After a two hour run-around I was finally able to talk to a man by the name of Daniel. I asked Mr. Daniel a few questions and I was actually in awe of some of what I heard.

Asked if he knew Mugabe, he said he had no clue who the man was and said that Mugabe's identity was not his main concern when searching for a signature. He added that the reason he chose Mugabe's signature was because it was the "only" signature he could find online that was free of copyright infringement and could be used without problems.

I asked if it wouldn't have been easier to use the signature of a known figure like Juan Pablo Duarte, Leonel Fernandez, a JCE official or make a "garavato," instead. He said yes, but the Google search was easier and that it is the first one that comes up after a Google search.

He explained that he really didn't care who Mugabe was because the "JCE" wanted a "pretty" signature and it didn't matter whose it was. After a few more questions Daniel admitted that he didn't know or undertsand why using Mugabe's signature would reflect poorly on the JCE. I politely explained that using the signature of a man accused of many attrocities, corruption, lack of transperancy and known to have driven Zimbawea into the ground could reflect poorly on an institution who models itself as a champion of anti-corruption and transparency.

Daniel seemed genuinely ignorant of what I was explaining and seemed more interested in ending the conversation. He was polite with his answers, which I appreciated. But once I explained that this information would be published in the DR1 News and seen by many people in the DR, and in the US, he quickly changed his tune. Daniel said he would see about getting the signature removed.

About 30 minutes later I checked the website and the original flyer with Mugabe's signature was gone. Mr. Daniel might think that there are no traces of this "minimal" mistake, but I was able to take a scream grab of the original page, as well as save a version of the original flyer, which I will post below. I will also include the link the cleaned up version of the site.

Is this really important news? Probably not. Does this really matter in the grand scheme of life? Probably not. But it does point to a few things about this country that really bother me and the lack of preparedness, efficiency, education, quality control, pride in the work place and a host of other issues. Or, maybe, just maybe, I am very bored at work.

The Mugabe page before w/ the Wikipedia signature:

The cleaned up JCE page

Original flyer

Screengrab of JCE Page (Before)

Mr. Lu (Public Detective)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Daniel seemed genuinely ignorant of what I was explaining and seemed more interested in ending the conversation. He was polite with his answers, which I appreciated. But once I explained that this information would be published in the DR1 News and seen by many people in the DR, and in the US, he quickly changed his tune. Daniel said he would see about getting the signature removed.

About 30 minutes later I checked the website and the original flyer with Mugabe's signature was gone.
Mr. Lu (Public Detective)
Ahhhh, The POWER of mentioning DR1!!!!! :cheeky:
Good Work PD Lu!! (Any relation to PDQ?;)?) ~ Grahame

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sure is! If this was done out of ignorance, which I still find difficult to believe, it is truly staggering.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Um....

Mr Lu, are my eyes deceiving me? Has Mr. Daniel entered the lion's den once more?
Captura Datos Biom?tricos del Ciudadano e Integraci?n con el Acta y la C?dula de Identidad y Electoral

Download the pdf & it's at the top of each page as well.

Miss Marple

Backup detective ;)

This is just asinine. This makes no sense. I went through the argument with the guy before, he corrected it and now once again its back up? I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt, but now this proves its utter laziness and stupidity.

Mr. Lu

Reactions: FernieBee

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'd like to send the DR1 news report and a link to the thread to some journalists, if that's OK with you.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

I'd like to send the DR1 news report and a link to the thread to some journalists, if that's OK with you.

Please do. I might call Daniel tomorrow as a follow up and see why this is still up. Maybe embarrassment will work? Or maybe not. When intellect and reason doesn't work, I doubt embarrassment has any pull.

Mr. Lu

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This is just asinine. This makes no sense. I went through the argument with the guy before, he corrected it and now once again its back up? I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt, but now this proves its utter laziness and stupidity.

Mr. Lu

With respect, Mr. Lu, could I also suggest it could be arrogance? Either by Mr. Daniel or by his boss. If you get 'my jefe told me to put it back up' then it could either be Mr. Daniel not wanting to take responsibility OR he really does have a boss who countermanded Daniel's initial reaction when you said DR1 & who would read it. Daniel might have thought it was a good idea to clean it up (& apparently did so initially) but his boss might be one of those party appointed people who can do no wrong :cheeky: .

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I have enjoyed your detective work, well done. I have some family members also doing the Sherlock Holmes thing. I have a prima hermana that is married to Julio C?sar Casta?os Guzm?n. Will follow up when I get more info.