Oh Canada....

yomi

Jan 8, 2009
I am a dominican. A tropical gal, that has just moved to Ottawa. I need to find some Dominicans. I need the food, the ambiance, the hair salons!!!! Does anyone out there have any helpful info (other that go back) that might help me adapt to my new life here in Canada? Where do the Dominican people hang out? Where do they dine? Where do they dance? Most importantly, where do they get their hair done?????
Don't get me wrong I like it here, but it's a complete disconnect... I thought this place would be more diverse... Rogers does'nt even offer latin music chanels!!!! Would you know a cable provider here in Canada that does? Either satellite or digital? Seriously, if there are any Dominican's out there, and there has to be, tell me how to find the music, the food, the people here in Ottawa. Thanks for reading... Yomi

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I am a dominican. A tropical gal, that has just moved to Ottawa. I need to find some Dominicans. I need the food, the ambiance, the hair salons!!!! Does anyone out there have any helpful info (other that go back) that might help me adapt to my new life here in Canada? Where do the Dominican people hang out? Where do they dine? Where do they dance? Most importantly, where do they get their hair done?????
Don't get me wrong I like it here, but it's a complete disconnect... I thought this place would be more diverse... Rogers does'nt even offer latin music chanels!!!! Would you know a cable provider here in Canada that does? Either satellite or digital? Seriously, if there are any Dominican's out there, and there has to be, tell me how to find the music, the food, the people here in Ottawa. Thanks for reading... Yomi

Hi Yomi, welcome to Canada! I think if you check out the small salsa scene in Ottawa you will might find some Dominicans. I would recommend taking salsa classes there to connect with the Latin music/dance scene and who knows you might even end up teaching merengue and bachata.

salsaottawa.com

If you can find the courage to put on some iceskates, you have the Rideau canal there and having a winter activity is good way to adapt to this country. Best of luck.

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Hi yomi!

I live in Montreal. Most people I know who live in Ottawa come to Montreal when they need a little spice (and I'm not talking about foreigners). Mtl-Ottawa is a 2 hour drive. If you anyone there I'm sure you won't regret it. You will everything you mentioned. I used to be a regular @ the Dominican hair salons and I know where some clubs are and used to live ''en un bario dominicano'' en Montreal.

If you can't find what you're looking for in Ottawa hope you get a chance to come to Mtl.
Good luck

yomi

Jan 8, 2009
Hi Yomi, welcome to Canada! I think if you check out the small salsa scene in Ottawa you will might find some Dominicans. I would recommend taking salsa classes there to connect with the Latin music/dance scene and who knows you might even end up teaching merengue and bachata.

salsaottawa.com

If you can find the courage to put on some iceskates, you have the Rideau canal there and having a winter activity is good way to adapt to this country. Best of luck.

you know i hear that a lot!..."but baby it's cold outside"!!!!
thanks for the input. :)

yomi

Jan 8, 2009

salsaottawa.com

OMG!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I went to that sight and found 2 latin night clubs in downtown!!!! Thanks!!!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
You did not say if you moved there for a guy or a job, etc. but if not, I would suggest moving to Toronto if you are not happy there. You will find lots of Dominicans, a much more diverse culture, etc.

Campesino

May 18, 2002
Welcome here!!!

Hello, welcome to Canada. Winter is not the best time to arrive, but it`s almost over. My wife had a lot of the same culture shocks you are going through. Give it some time, you will soon discover where to purchase all the ingredients needed to make your favorite foods from back home. You will find a salon catering to latins, my wife has actually found a Dominican lady, originally from POP. Once you start to look around you will be surprised at all the latin products that are around you. Look in the yellow pages for latin stores in your area. Also on the net, you can get a lot of TV and radio stations from the island. Im sure some of the larger night clubs have a Latin Night or somthing similar. Great way to meet people. Ive posted links of some of the sites I use, you can go from there, just need to spend some time searching. Good luck, dont give up, it gets better, trust me.
Campesiono...
bachata radio, M?s que 30 canales, Bachata, Merengue y mas Musica , Radio TV
Rep?blica Dominicana Completa. Portal Dominicano
remolacha.net
Toronto Hispano. torontohispano.com Website de latinos y latinas en Toronto Canada
Teleuniversocanal29
Telemicro Canal 5 - Inicio
RadioStationWorld - Dominican Republic - Radio Station Websites

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Don't get me wrong I like it here, but it's a complete disconnect... I thought this place would be more diverse... ... Yomi

From one tropical gal to another......I totally understand.
For more diversity, as Fiesta Mama said, you have to go to Toronto.....the most culturally diverse city in the world...its a city of immigrants! I know you would feel more comfortable there (and it is not as cold and less snow than Ottawa lol). Toronto is very different from the rest of Canada.
My friend who was working in Calgary, who is an immigrant from Africa, but was raised in Toronto, just took a 50% pay decrease and ran back to Toronto because she just needed more diversity.

I am in the DR now but when I return to downtown Toronto in the spring I would be happy to show you around.

In the spring people will come out of hibernation and it will be more fun!

Good luck!

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
As far as Dominicans go you'll be much happier going to Montreal- more Dominicans by far, more Latinos from everywhere. Better restaurants, nite clubs....etc than Toronto. Both cities have subways that will take you most places in the winter so you don't have to be outside very often. Every large city in Canada or the USA are cultural mosaics. I have nothing against Toronto but if I was looking through Dominican eyes I think I'd prefer Montreal- only an hour drive or so from Ottawa.

kateinottawa

May 5, 2008
Hi Yomi,

I am in Ottawa, and if you ever want to go out to one of the latin clubs, I would be more than happy to take you! I am married to a Dominican, and although he is still in Santo Domingo, I would love to connect with some more Dominicans here in the city. There isn't a huge Dominican population in Ottawa and, as others have said, there is more diversity in Montreal and Toronto.

Ill ask the Dominicans I know here where they get their hair done and let you know. As far as food is concerned, you won't find much more than carribean restaurants here. Not too bad if you want fried plantanos, but not much more in the Dominican fare.

Feel free to msg me, and I will help as best I can.

Kate

OscarD

Oct 25, 2008
Also check torontodominicano.com and torontohispano.com often for special events. Some of them will be worth the drive from Ottawa! Sometimes the announcements are short notice.

Some of the artists that came to Toronto recently are: Joe Veras, Andy Andy, Zacarias Ferreira, Yoskar Sarante, Monchy & Alexandra, just to mention the bachateros. It was announced that Antony Santos and Frank Reyes would be next (we'll see if that really happens!). But maybe they don't want to come here in winter :)