West Jet to Puerto Plata in July?

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
I want to fly from Halifax,N.S. to Puerto Plata in July.West Jet seems to have the best seat sales for now but when you type in the July dates they say that they only fly to PP from Nov.- May. Same thing from Toronto...I`ve been told by several people that they got their best summer deals through them...Have they stopped flying in the summer or are the flights just not scheduled yet?

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Nsgirl,

They have stopped the summer service this year. Last year they went 1 day a week, but this year they have cancelled it.

I would still look around, of if you want to book now find a low fare do it.

Sorry that I told you Westjet would be good in the Summer. I didn't know that they were going to not do the 1 flight a week.

Let me know if you need help finding anything else.

Cheers
Erin

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Erin,
Well that really sucks!Westjet always seems to have the best seat sales...Don`t worry about it,there was no way that you could have known that they`d stop their flights.I guess now I`m stuck with AirCanada or flying through the states right? Are there any other options from here?
I guess I`ll keep price watching for a while...The prices are all up again but if they went down once, hopefully they`ll do it again. My local TA had said that I wouldn`t have to worry about the AirCanada flight filling up till the last minute but I wonder if that may change now that Westjet isn`t flying...

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Thanks man!!!

Ok well you can try going through the states or try Air Canada. If you find a good rate book it. Who knows when they will be seat sales with Air Canada.

It sucks about Westjet!!!!! I fly them all the time to go down there. Unless it was for a weekend trip! Now I have to fly someone else from here in the summer too.

Good Luck and PM me if you have anymore questions.

Cheers
Erin

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
The thing with Charters though, is that they stop flying out of Halifax at the end of April and don't start up again till about the end of November.

The only option with a Charter is to fly into Montreal or Toronto and take a charter from there.

Cheers
Erin

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Right now AirCanada is at $986. It was $700 last month so I`m hoping to see that again...I checked the charters and from Halifax it was over $1200 and that was before taxes! From Toronto it was $1003 but I`d still have to get there and back...Most of the US flights are over $900 before taxes... Right now it seems that AirCanada is my best bet. Hopefully it will go down a bit again!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
also check the difference between booking directly with air canada on their website vs. air canada vacations.

with air canada vacations you will pay charter pricing & can be quite cheap last minute.

the same last minute flight on the air canada website .. .and i mean exact same flight will be triple the price.

last summer they had some great prices with air canada...i think to be competitive with west jet...will be interesting to see if the prices go up this year?

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Thanks, for all your help guys. I guess I`ll just keep looking and cross my fingers and hope to get a decent price...I`ll keep the charters in mind, although right now AirCanada seems to be my best bet. Hopefully their price will drop again...If anyone comes across any good deals let me know please. I`m going to have to fly into either Toronto, Montreal or the states so I`m open to hearing any deals you come across.

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
I actually looked at that exact flight plan today...from JFK to POP the flight was over $500, I can`t remember the exact number...that`s a good deal but by the time I change my Canadian$$ to US$$ and then add my flight to and from JFK, I`m not sure it would be a better deal than AirCanada.I`m definately going to keep looking there though, you never know what sales may pop up. I have lots of airmiles to, so that`s a possibility for the YHZ to JFK part of the trip.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Right now AirCanada is at $986. It was $700 last month so I`m hoping to see that again...I checked the charters and from Halifax it was over $1200 and that was before taxes! From Toronto it was $1003 but I`d still have to get there and back...Most of the US flights are over $900 before taxes... Right now it seems that AirCanada is my best bet. Hopefully it will go down a bit again!

WOW... I guess us Torontonians don't realize how lucky we are!!! In October there were seats for $5 (I swear - Sunwing), plus tax. Toronto and Montreal are definitely the places to be if you frequent the DR! Good luck on find a cheap flight. Know anyone in NY where you can park your car? Drive there and fly JetBlue.

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Yes, the prices for Toronto are always way better! Your package deals are amazing compared to the rest of the countries...Now a $5 flight is what I call a deal! Not sure about Montreal though, from what I can see the flight that would take me from Halifax-Montreal-Puerto Plata is $424 before taxes each way. The same flight booked directly from Montreal is $444?? I don`t understand why it is cheaper for me with the extra flight from Hali. than for someone in Montreal going direct? The Toronto-Montreal-Puerto Plata is even cheaper!
I`m going to keep looking...July is quite a way off yet so I`m thinking that I should be able to score a deal somewhere...

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
I`ve been looking into that...the flight from JFK is $531 US. That`s a good price but by the time I convert it to Can and add my flight there and back it would be close to AirCanada`s price. I am going to keep watch though, the flight from POP-JFK was only $149. If the one there goes that cheap then it would be a real deal. I couldn`t find any flights from Orlando to Puerto Plata though...