Is my husband a sanky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stingray

Dec 29, 2008
Here is our story:

My husband and I met in November of 2007 on the website Dominicancupid. From the first day we met, we talked on the phone and chatted online every day. At the time, my husband was working and earning a decent salary. He is a physician graduated from a foreign medical school. After a month, he asked me to marry him and I accepted (YES, I know). When I came to visit him for New Years we got married in a big ceremony in the catholic church. He paid for everything: rings, licenses, ceremony, attire, flowers, reception, everything. He was very affectionate, loving, and always held my hand. Shortly afterward, I returned to the US.

After I returned home, my husband told me that he lost his job (this happened right before our wedding but he never told me) but was looking for a new one. In March of '08 I left my job in the US and moved to the DR to be with him at the urging of my parents, who do not believe married couples should be separated. I brought some money with me ($1500) because my husband is trying to get his official license from the DR in order to set up his own practice here. We ended up using this money to pay for household expenses in his uncle's house, where we were living. Much to my annoyance, the family seemed to think la gringa rica should pay for everything and frequently more than 16 people would show up to eat in the house. This continued for a month and a half, using up all the money, upon which time my husband decided we should move in with his aunt, as it would be cheaper.

During this time, I noticed that my husband was a LOT less affectionate than during my first trip. He says this is because he never received affection as a child and it is just not a part of his personality. This does carry some truth, as he never kisses any of the women in his family and even shakes hands with his mother. I still felt somewhat deceived as it was completely different from my first experiences with him.

After moving in the aunt, things improved financially, although my husband still did not have a job. My parents and family came down to celebrate our wedding (a symbolic ceremony in english) and gave us a good sum or money as a gift. We ended up using this money over the course of the next several months to pay for all our expenses. In August, my husband finally applied to obtain his license. He made frequent trips alone to the capital, often for many days, and spent the remainder of the money supposedly obtaining the papers. In the meantime, my own accounts ran out of money. In total, including our wedding gifts, we have spent $10,000 over the past 10 months. My husband earned maybe $500 or $600 of this doing jobs for different family members.

Over the next few months, whenever we needed money, my husband would ask me to call my family or friends in the States for a "loan". Once in a while, but rarely, he would call his brother in Italy for the same, but we never received money from him. My family ended up giving us another $1000 to live on. My husband still has no job and no license. I still have no money. We are in the final stages of the visa process (his family is paying this time) and I need to know what to do before I take that final unreversable step. Is he a sanky the used me for the money and is now waiting for the visa, or not?

Btw, before you say it. I know, I did not have a long enough courtship and did not get to know him well enough before we married. I cannot change the past, only the future and so that is why I am writing this thread. For advice on what to do in the future. Thanks in advance for your honest opinions.

murilka

Nov 6, 2008
Looks like he used you for the US Visa....

Have you seen a documented proof that he ever worked as a physician and holds a medical degree? Why wouldn't he work as a nurse to support you (his family) if he's waiting for licence? from your post i formed an impression that was never his intention...

BTW, $10000.00 US for 10 months in DR is a lot of money....

danely

Apr 23, 2004
The immediate litmus test should be proof of the actual diploma from the "foreign" medical school (was a specific country ever mentioned ?, if so, are there the appropriate visas and entry/exit stamps in his passport for that country?, student visa, etc. ?)

Do you see any file folders around containing the types of documents one would need to present to the DR government agencies, medical board, etc.?, such as those he would have been processing on his trips in August.....those would be telling.

As for the money, I can easily see going through that much money in that period of time....especially if there are a lot of other people feeding off it, and swirling around to other family members, and trips to the capitol for the application process, etc., so the quantity of money doesn't seem alarming under those circumstances. You said that he supposedly got the papers, so where is the medical licecnse ? If he got it why not start practicing medicine...you are already there ! And why would you bother to get that at the same time that you are applying for a spouse visa to another country (USA, Canada ?) where you would not be able to practice medicine with the Dominican medical license, to my knowledge, and would probably never realistically be able to do it through testing processes, equivalent experience/residency programs, etc., either. And has there been any real effort that you know of at researching what might be involved in his working in the medical field in some, or any, capacity in your country ?

Just food for thought, and simple things you could look for, which together with a lot of your accumulated facts along the way might lead you to a correct conclusion and decision.

In any case, good luck with whatever you decide.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Here is our story:

During this time, I noticed that my husband was a LOT less affectionate than during my first trip. He says this is because he never received affection as a child and it is just not a part of his personality. This does carry some truth, as he never kisses any of the women in his family and even shakes hands with his mother. I still felt somewhat deceived as it was completely different from my first experiences with him..
Do you really want to spend the rest of your life with this man?

He made frequent trips alone to the capital, often for many days, and spent the remainder of the money supposedly obtaining the papers.
Sounds fishy and you know it.

We are in the final stages of the visa process (his family is paying this time) and I need to know what to do before I take that final unreversable step. Is he a sanky the used me for the money and is now waiting for the visa, or not?
His family is paying now?
Either A) They want to get rid of him or
B) It's a good investment in their own future settlement in the USA.
Look Stingray, you know the answer. Trust your instincts. Shake his hand and say farewell.

Stingray

Dec 29, 2008
To answer your questions, yes, he did practice medicine for a short time here using a friend's license # but did not want problems and after an issue with his boss left the company. I saw his ID for the company he said he worked for, so I believe this.

I have absolutely no doubts that he is a real doctor. I have seen his diploma and transcripts, and all his medical books are in our house. I have personally visited his medical school with him and met several of his teachers (we did this b/c he was missing some crucial documents that were stolen out of his uncle's house). His passport does have all visas in it. I have visited the cancillaria (sp? sorry) in the capital with him to get these papers legalized. The holdup on the license is supposedly coming from the government here in the DR. He filed the papers to obtain it in August but whenever he goes to the office, they tell him the license is not ready yet and promise to have it the next month. Is this typical Dominican government?

He applied for the medical license here before we applied for the visa. His reasons were 1. so I didn't think he married me for the visa and 2. because neither of us knew exactly how long the visa process would take and he would need to work in the meantime, preferably in his profession.

Yes, he has researched what would be involved to practice medicine in the US. He has contacted both the Army and Navy to see what they can do to help since this would provide him with immediate income and insurance while he is studying to take the exams. He also has researched the exam itself, I believe it is called the MLE, online to see what he needs to do.

I guess what really bothers me the most is the outrageous amount of money that I have spent while here. It is more than I would have paid for rent & food living in NJ! Also, he spends a lot of time (without me) in the capital, supposedly researching the license and getting money from his uncles to help pay the bills. Usually visits are 3-4 days at a time, and he does not always come home with money, maybe only 60% of the time. These are all red flags for me...:ermm:

Stingray

Dec 29, 2008
His family is paying now?
Either A) They want to get rid of him or
B) It's a good investment in their own future settlement in the USA.
Look Stingray, you know the answer. Trust your instincts. Shake his hand and say farewell.

Sometimes easier said then done. My problems:
1. A catholic wedding not easily annulled.
2. I am 5 months pregnant.

Btw, the person paying, or helping to pay, for the visa is an American citizen. The Dominican relatives are not contributing. In addition, his cousin, also American, has agreed to a joint financial sponsorship of him. The cousin and the aunt are financially well off - own their own home, have a job, cars, etc., so don't really stand anything to gain.

I am not arguing. I know what you are saying and there is a reason why I am writing this to begin with and that is my own instincts. I just want to make sure all the facts are clear and a decision really solid before I leave myself with no husband and my baby with no father.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
commenting on his lack of affection, this seems to be something that i hear a lot from the women married to Dominican men, once they are married the man neglects his wife, I guess because he feels he already has her no need to be affectionate anymore, of course not all men or women are like this but a good number are.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
run you still have time!

Listen you are having bad vibes about him otherwise you wont be posting here. You said this clear that you dont know him long enough.

10K in ten month what do you expect his expenses will be after he get to the USA?

I do anything not to ask money to my wife, use my credit card, worst to worst I get a ****ty job at least to have some money.

RUN before is too late! tell me how happy he gets when you dont give him money and when you give him?

Pack your stuff and go home before is too late. Got not class, not shame, not pride to tell you "ask money to your parents"

Dont take that nightmare to the US, I have the feeling you will do it anyway
believe me you lost the trust already then will be the denial stage then thing will get worse when you are going to open you eyes and will be too late.

I can be wrong but that **** about his parents not giving him afection thats the wrong excuse for him not to be affectionated with you. In his mind you run out of money why he would have affection for you and the worst for him is that you are are there.

To answer your questions, yes, he did practice medicine for a short time here using a friend's license # but did not want problems and after an issue with his boss left the company. I saw his ID for the company he said he worked for, so I believe this.

I have absolutely no doubts that he is a real doctor. I have seen his diploma and transcripts, and all his medical books are in our house. I have personally visited his medical school with him and met several of his teachers (we did this b/c he was missing some crucial documents that were stolen out of his uncle's house). His passport does have all visas in it. I have visited the cancillaria (sp? sorry) in the capital with him to get these papers legalized. The holdup on the license is supposedly coming from the government here in the DR. He filed the papers to obtain it in August but whenever he goes to the office, they tell him the license is not ready yet and promise to have it the next month. Is this typical Dominican government?

He applied for the medical license here before we applied for the visa. His reasons were 1. so I didn't think he married me for the visa and 2. because neither of us knew exactly how long the visa process would take and he would need to work in the meantime, preferably in his profession.

Yes, he has researched what would be involved to practice medicine in the US. He has contacted both the Army and Navy to see what they can do to help since this would provide him with immediate income and insurance while he is studying to take the exams. He also has researched the exam itself, I believe it is called the MLE, online to see what he needs to do.

I guess what really bothers me the most is the outrageous amount of money that I have spent while here. It is more than I would have paid for rent & food living in NJ! Also, he spends a lot of time (without me) in the capital, supposedly researching the license and getting money from his uncles to help pay the bills. Usually visits are 3-4 days at a time, and he does not always come home with money, maybe only 60% of the time. These are all red flags for me...:ermm:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Sometimes easier said then done. My problems:
1. A catholic wedding not easily annulled.
2. I am 5 months pregnant.

Btw, the person paying, or helping to pay, for the visa is an American citizen. The Dominican relatives are not contributing. In addition, his cousin, also American, has agreed to a joint financial sponsorship of him. The cousin and the aunt are financially well off - own their own home, have a job, cars, etc., so don't really stand anything to gain.

I am not arguing. I know what you are saying and there is a reason why I am writing this to begin with and that is my own instincts. I just want to make sure all the facts are clear and a decision really solid before I leave myself with no husband and my baby with no father.

Do you really think this man is a real husband to you and that he will be a father to your child?? Why don't you go with him to the capital ? I guess he has all the right arguments for you not to go. I am sure you think that he has another woman in the capital and so do I.

Have you talked about all you wrote in this forum with your parents?? I am sure you have not and you will not either.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Marriage without real feelings and affection from his side will fail one way or another - mine did and a lot of people I know:( When I see the way my ex treats his current wife - I realize he only had friendly feelings for me to start with. So, good luck to you, but I would not try hard to make it work. You will only realize in the future it made no sense at all and you have just wasted your time and money.

Stingray

Dec 29, 2008
Listen you are having bad vibes about him otherwise you wont be posting here. You said this clear that you dont know him long enough.

10K in ten month what do you expect his expenses will be after he get to the USA?

I do anything not to ask money to my wife, use my credit card, worst to worst I get a ****ty job at least to have some money.

RUN before is too late! tell me how happy he gets when you dont give him money and when you give him?

Pack your stuff and go home before is too late. Got not class, not shame, not pride to tell you "ask money to your parents"

Dont take that nightmare to the US, I have the feeling you will do it anyway
believe me you lost the trust already then will be the denial stage then thing will get worse when you are going to open you eyes and will be too late.

I can be wrong but that **** about his parents not giving him afection thats the wrong excuse for him not to be affectionated with you. In his mind you run out of money why he would have affection for you and the worst for him is that you are are there.

To clarify, $4k out of the 10 was spent in the first month and a half. Since then, we spend on average $500. He does not treat me any differently if I give him money or not. I cut off the funds to him as of October with the exception of $250 in January which was a joint Christmas gift from my grandma that she told him about.

He was different affection wise from the moment i came 10 months ago and at that point I was spending a lot of money. The worst is that I am there? That is possible. He did not ask me to come, I told him I was coming a month ahead of time and then came.

Stingray

Dec 29, 2008
Do you really think this man is a real husband to you and that he will be a father to your child?? Why don't you go with him to the capital ? I guess he has all the right arguments for you not to go. I am sure you think that he has another woman in the capital and so do I.

Have you talked about all you wrote in this forum with your parents?? I am sure you have not and you will not either.

Do I think he is a real husband to me? It is definitely not the relationship my parents have. Pardon if it is tmi, but our sex life is not lacking, it is only hand holding, hugs, casual kisses that he does not give when I say no affection.

Will he be a father to our child? Yes, absolutely. Of that I have no doubt. He treats his young cousins and sobrinos like they are his own. In fact they are the only ones that he is outwardly affectionate with. He says that if he can show or give to some child what he lacked when he was young he will and with no reservation. He already talks to and pets my tummy all the time.

Why don't I go to the capital? Usually he is borrowing money from the family here for the transport. I have gone occasionally, but there is nowhere to sleep except for with his grandmother and she farts her brains out all night (he sleeps with his primo). Also until the family helps with money, we usually eat at the grandma's house, and the food is horrible.

Am I sure that he has another woman? Not sure, no, but I definitely have my suspicions. The only thing is, unless she is his sugar mama, this chica stands nothing to gain from him.

Have I talked about this with my parents? Sorry, you are dead wrong. We e-mail every day and they are aware of this thread and another that I have on DTTUSA.com concerning my doubts. My parents like my husband and want to believe the best of him but also believe my marriage is my problem. They read what I write and send me their opinion but in the end believe it is only my decision to make.

I am trying to make the best decision for me and my child. I have an open ticket on Continental for whenever I make that decision. I am writing now here and on the other site because I feel it would be best to have the opinions of people who do not know us and therefore stand nothing to gain or lose.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I am not arguing. I know what you are saying and there is a reason why I am writing this to begin with and that is my own instincts...

Stingray - you hit in the nail, there's an underlying reason why you are even posting this question in the first place.

For the most part, Dominican men do not think the same way others do in regards to children and parenting. Visitations, child support and communication take up a whole different meaning if you guys are not together. And if you guys ever separate and he moves on, thats another story altogether as far as he is concerned with what is now YOUR child. Whatever you see from him now, is what will be later if not worse.

Sorry if I offend any Dominican men reading this, but guys, if you are different, you also know you are the exeption)

What will you guys live of when you get to the US? He will need time to get his license if he ever does. If it has been so hard to do in DR - his native country and his native tongue, how much harder will it be here in the US along with all the other obstacles that are presented with bringing someone over? Also, if you do bring him to the US be prepared for him to be the family's personal ATM from now on.

Like the other posters said: Have you spoken to your family about this? Dont they question you and your 'investments' with money?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I Just read your last post and you dont sound like a complete chicken head. If you really love him and you believe everything else, then follow your instincts...

Also, if you are suffering so much over there (bad food, sleeping arrangements, farts at night) why dont you come to Jersey and have your baby here! You guys will still be married and you can still bring him over once you have decided on it 100%.

Will you have a job and a place to live if you came to NJ for the rest of your pregnancy?

Stingray

Dec 29, 2008
I Just read your last post and you dont sound like a complete chicken head. If you really love him and you believe everything else, then follow your instincts...

Also, if you are suffering so much over there (bad food, sleeping arrangements, farts at night) why dont you come to Jersey and have your baby here! You guys will still be married and you can still bring him over once you have decided on it 100%.

Will you have a job and a place to live if you came to NJ for the rest of your pregnancy?

I DO try not to be a chicken head.;)

Ayy, maybe my writing isn't clear. The bad food, sleeping, farts, etc is only in the capital. Here in SF where we live we have our own room in an apartment we share with his aunt.

Yes, I will have a place to stay in NJ. My parents have agreed to let me stay there and will provide day care for the baby while I work, although my mother has said that she prefer that I NOT work for the benefit of the baby, at least for a year.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This stinks to high heaven.
Sorry.
No matter how you look at this, the exequater needed to practice medicine is practically automatic.
When you say "foreign medical school" do you mean Dominican medical school. Which one?
He has no chance whatsoever to practice inthe US, so do not waste a penny on that.

His one chance to even get a residency in anything is to get there married toyou and fast-track to his US residency which will allow him to opt for residence programs all over the US IF he passes the boards...not very likely..

I think I would put this down to bad experience, and get on with your life...You just got a Masters Degree in LIFE Experiences....Take it and run...

PAPA HB

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
It cant be more clear than Hilbilly post.

Stingray, not to take side with other people here, but is obvius you got doubts about him. I dont know how long you have being living in DR but put
this clear in you. living at any avarage barrio rent dont go over U$200 a month. in a place you guys can have your own privacy.

Its so hard to believe that this dude cant find a job after finishing a career
in DR, Speaking and writening good English how hard life can be for him in DR

I wonder what do you want to know about him? if he is a sanky or not.
you got the answer and he is using you BIG time. With all the respect to your parents you have to go back think about if you see your self 5 more year
living the same way you are right now with this guy.

I dont know in USA but I know that here in Toronto there are tons of doctors
and nurses that are taxi drivers here, nothing wrong with that but is a real example of not able to work in their field because their degree in worth nothing in North America.

My advice: Go back home, get a job, think about what do you want, Do not file application for his immigration to US. I can be wrong but for the little things you discrived about him. something is not right about him.

Ask or explain the same thing to 20 other people to see what would they think about it. Most people dont want to hurt your feeling telling you what they think but eventually you will understand.

I hope I am wrong but some of my friend call me "Boca de Chivo" because sometimes every thing that I say or think its turns right.
I have nothing good to think about him but I dont even see a candle at the other end of the tunnel is getting darker and is not an apagon and you are running out of batteries for the flashlight. You know that fire burn and still you want to play with it.

Good luck!!!

PS: I cant see the numbers for the lottery or Visa.

Sorry.
No matter how you look at this, the exequater needed to practice medicine is practically automatic.
When you say "foreign medical school" do you mean Dominican medical school. Which one?
He has no chance whatsoever to practice inthe US, so do not waste a penny on that.

His one chance to even get a residency in anything is to get there married toyou and fast-track to his US residency which will allow him to opt for residence programs all over the US IF he passes the boards...not very likely..

I think I would put this down to bad experience, and get on with your life...You just got a Masters Degree in LIFE Experiences....Take it and run...

PAPA HB

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Sorry.

PAPA HB

Listen to Papa HB!

I know you must be scared with a baby on the way...but he has a baby on the way too! Any good man and future father with a baby on the way is going to WORK to provide for his pregnant wife!
And as Homer said he has no shame to ask you to ask your family. WTH He is very fresh!!!!
If he really loved you why would he let his family take advantage of you?
A good DR man (and I have seen it...a friend here put a sign on his fridge door to let his free loading family know, to stop eating his food LOL) would tell his family go work and pay for their own food.

What we are trying to tell you is...(yes I understand you are afraid of being a single mother and if you leave him he might abandoned his child) if you think things are bad now, if you take his sorry behind to the USA.... THEY WILL ONLY GET WORSE! For the sake of your child dont allow this situation to become worse. Not every relationship is meant to be. You can never control if he will be a good father or not if you are not with him.
Whether you choose to stay with him or not I think you should return home to the USA to have your baby (remember you cant travel after a certain month) in the comfort of your own home with the help and support of your happily married parents. All this stress you are dealing with cant be good for the baby. And once you have removed yourself form the situation, if even only temporarily, you will be able to think more clearly about it.

Change the channel on this novela!

Good luck

Stingray

Dec 29, 2008
It cant be more clear than Hilbilly post.

Stingray, not to take side with other people here, but is obvius you got doubts about him. I dont know how long you have being living in DR but put
this clear in you. living at any avarage barrio rent dont go over U$200 a month. in a place you guys can have your own privacy.

Its so hard to believe that this dude cant find a job after finishing a career
in DR, Speaking and writening good English how hard life can be for him in DR

I wonder what do you want to know about him? if he is a sanky or not.
you got the answer and he is using you BIG time. With all the respect to your parents you have to go back think about if you see your self 5 more year
living the same way you are right now with this guy.

I dont know in USA but I know that here in Toronto there are tons of doctors
and nurses that are taxi drivers here, nothing wrong with that but is a real example of not able to work in their field because their degree in worth nothing in North America.

My advice: Go back home, get a job, think about what do you want, Do not file application for his immigration to US. I can be wrong but for the little things you discrived about him. something is not right about him.

Ask or explain the same thing to 20 other people to see what would they think about it. Most people dont want to hurt your feeling telling you what they think but eventually you will understand.

I hope I am wrong but some of my friend call me "Boca de Chivo" because sometimes every thing that I say or think its turns right.
I have nothing good to think about him but I dont even see a candle at the other end of the tunnel is getting darker and is not an apagon and you are running out of batteries for the flashlight. You know that fire burn and still you want to play with it.

Good luck!!!

PS: I cant see the numbers for the lottery or Visa.

I have been living in the DR for 10 months. Yes, I am aware of the rent prices. Here it is $150 per month. The problem is, we (I) also pay for all the food and the electricity because his aunt only works 10 hours a week and makes about $80 a month. He does not begrudge me anything I want to buy at La Sirena (although I buy mostly fruits and veggies. My mom is a nutritionist) and so often our food bill is more than $200 a month. I understand I am partially to blame for that and to their credit, he and the aunt do not eat the special things I buy for myself.

He did not finish a career, ie go to school in the DR. He went to med school in Cuba, hence the problem with his not having a license here. Also he is still learning to speak English and definitely does NOT write it well at all.

The visa app is already filed and with NVC. One of his family members has agreed to be a joint sponsor since I do not have enough money or a job in the US to bring him there. The other problem is, of course, that even if I return to the US, how many companies want to hire a woman 5 going on 6 months pregnant and guaranteed to leave in 2 months. Not to mention potentially not returning to this job after the baby is born. My bet is that there are not too many.

Oddly enough, what's not good enough here IS good enough in the US. He has said numerous times that he is willing to flip burgers, work at Walmart, whatever, just so he is making money. His best option though is still the military as he has been in communication with a Staff Sgt recruiter who says they can absolutely help him to study for the MLE, take up a specialty, etc, for a price of many years service of course.

I see everyone's point here and I know that no one is trying to be harsh. It is just really, really hard to make this kind of decision. I don't feel like I am trying to argue or make excuses. I called my parents and asked them to read my two threads and give their opinion. My father thinks I should go through with the visa and then decide AFTER my husband is in the US. My mom is keeping her counsel to herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.