Planes crashes and lands in Hudson River...

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
no confirmation if Dominicans are on board

cnn.com

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
There were probably Dominicans on board, there's a growing community of Dominicans in NC.

Glad everyone made it out.

Way to go for our finest and bravest and everyone else involved.!!!

May 31, 2005
Lets not forget our inflight crew. Remember that they are there primarily for the safety of the passengers. I hate it when people think that we are only there to bring out drinks and blankets. :)

The pilots did a great job too.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
NEW YORK (AP) ? A US Airways pilot ditched his disabled jetliner into the frigid Hudson River on Thursday afternoon after a collision with a flock of birds apparently knocked out both engines, but rescuers pulled all 155 people on board into boats as the plane sank, authorities say.

There were no immediate reports of any serious injuries.

Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Laura Brown said Flight 1549 had just taken off from LaGuardia Airport en route to Charlotte, N.C., when the crash occurred in the river near 48th Street in midtown Manhattan.

The plane, an Airbus 320, took off at 3:26 p.m. and went down minutes later, Brown said.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is a good reminder for everyone to put attention to the safety video and/or demonstration flight attendants show/do prior to departing. I know that for many people, frequent travelers in particular, its easy to dismiss such safety protocol thinking that it might not happen or that you already "know" what to do.

While most of us will not be in an airplane accident, most doesn't mean all.

-NALs

Reactions: Dragonfly32837
May 31, 2005
This is a good reminder for everyone to put attention to the safety video and/or demonstration flight attendants show/do prior to departing. I know that for many people, frequent travelers in particular, its easy to dismiss such safety protocol thinking that it might not happen or that you already "know" what to do.

While most of us will not be in an airplane accident, most doesn't mean all.

-NALs

Agreed! The pilot and rescue crew also did a wonderful job.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
So true Nals!

Just happy everyone is safe! I am sure a life changing event for everyone on board.
It could have been a very sad story!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What is really amazing is that the pilot was able to land the plane solely by gliding, ie w/o any power from the engines. From what I understand this is most difficult if not nearly impossible to do.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What is really amazing is that the pilot was able to land the plane solely by gliding, ie w/o any power from the engines. From what I understand this is most difficult if not nearly impossible to do.
Not at all. When a plane loses thrust, the other three physical forces are still active: lift, drag and gravity, lift being the most important of those for it to glide.

A plane becomes a glider when it loses power. My 182 had a 10:1 glide ratio. I speculate a big plane has a 3:1 or something, maybe less, depending on the speed, and speed-reducing drag. But it'll glide. Not pretty but prolly enough to be controllable...as long as there is some speed (air flow over the airfoils, wing, elevator and rudder).

May 5, 2007
CB
The only "similar" craft I can compare would be the C 9 and that is about 16:1,(these are figures for optimum altitude, speed and clean congiguration) given the high wing loading of the C 9 I would think the AB 320 would have an even higher glide ratio
He should have been in area of altitude loss of 1000' per mile
From pictures I have seen post 'crash" ,either the engines were windmilling sufficiently to power hydraulics or the RAT dropped as slats were deployed and flaps at 15o or so

From the graphics on TV today, it look sas though he had a normal departure, bird strike on left turnout, thought about straight ahead for Tetebor, realized too far and did a downwind landing in the water

Poor guy never left the pattern!

Not at all. When a plane loses thrust, the other three physical forces are still active: lift, drag and gravity, lift being the most important of those for it to glide.

A plane becomes a glider when it loses power. My 182 had a 10:1 glide ratio. I speculate a big plane has a 3:1 or something, maybe less, depending on the speed, and speed-reducing drag. But it'll glide. Not pretty but prolly enough to be controllable...as long as there is some speed (air flow over the airfoils, wing, elevator and rudder).

May 5, 2007
AZB

Big difference here is the pilots had over 28,000 feet of energy, an old Canadian AF base and actually had too much energy gong inot that approach as they had to side slip the aircraft to lose altitude

Not saying the Canadian Pilots did not do a great job, just that the USAIR pilots had only seconds to make critical decisions

Hope Air Canada checks the tires and gas gauge next time :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
CB
The only "similar" craft I can compare would be the C 9 and that is about 16:1,(these are figures for optimum altitude, speed and clean congiguration) given the high wing loading of the C 9 I would think the AB 320 would have an even higher glide ratio
He should have been in area of altitude loss of 1000' per mile
From pictures I have seen post 'crash" ,either the engines were windmilling sufficiently to power hydraulics or the RAT dropped as slats were deployed and flaps at 15o or so

From the graphics on TV today, it look sas though he had a normal departure, bird strike on left turnout, thought about straight ahead for Tetebor, realized too far and did a downwind landing in the water

Poor guy never left the pattern!
I suspect since he was climbing and didn't have a lot of altitude, he wasn't able to get into Max Glide Configuration...prolly was at less that 16:1.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
The amazing part of this whole thing was the pilot's role, and the crew's ability, as well as a general concern by other passengers for each other's well being. This helps. But much credit also has to be given to the NY Emergency officials who were on the scene within minutes.

My question: Is there something in place in the DR, that could be as efficient as this? Is the Dominican Navy at all prepared to handle a water landing near AILA, or in Samana or in Puerto Plata, if it ever came to that? Does the Navy train for that? Do airport officials/security practice these types of rescue? Who would be the organizations here that would respond to a similar even in the DR?

One of the FDNY crew said that many times them and the Coast Guard do joint simulations, does that occur here?

Though many label this a "miracle," I attribute this to great skill by the pilot and crew, and great preparation by the emergency officials, as well as the benefits in investing in rescue training.

Any thoughts?

Mr. Lu

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB

Big difference here is the pilots had over 28,000 feet of energy, an old Canadian AF base and actually had too much energy gong inot that approach as they had to side slip the aircraft to lose altitude

Not saying the Canadian Pilots did not do a great job, just that the USAIR pilots had only seconds to make critical decisions

Hope Air Canada checks the tires and gas gauge next time :)

I agree and I am not disputing it at all. i was just directing chip to a similar incident where both engines failed and the plane was able to glide to a controlled landing.
AZB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Actually it was a combined effort on all parties involved, the water ferries were the ones there first, as soon as they saw the accident they rushed over and many of the people rescued was done by them.

There was a guy who took off all his clothes and was found wrapped in a blanket, he decided to take off his clothes because if he needed to swim this would make it easier. Talk about being cold, the temperatures has been in the 20's F in NYC.:ermm: