I told you so I told you so!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You are correct you did tell us, mainly me. This applies to American and Canadian schools also. Ontario developed a literacy test that student needed to pass before graduating. First year that they employed it they had about 60% pass. Now they practically teach the test and they still have only 80-85% pass. Students can take it starting in Grade 10 so in reality they have 3 years to pass it. Both of my sons and my stepson passed the first time with ease.
Do you think this type of test would fly in the DR? The 3 Rs(reading,writing, and arithmetic)are what we stress at the school in Jarabacoa.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh, they do have one!!! Called Pruebas Nacionales, and without a pass you are not allowed to matriculate into any university!! It has become so corrupted that teachers make a lot of money on test day...

HB

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
At the risk of getting blasted for this -- it is one of the major differences that I have seen between here and Haiti, in that in Haiti, education has the highest value. Everything is sacrificed so that one child, at least, can go to school. And then, of course, immigrate to Montreal and send home money. The problem there is a complete contempt for manual labor so that everyone wants to be an engineer but no one can fix the pipes.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There's a difference between "retarded" and dumb....HB was right.

which one of the two fits you. There is nothing dumb about Dominican students.
DUMB:
lacking some usual attribute or accompaniment ; especially : having no means of self-propulsion <a dumb barge>
6 a: lacking intelligence : stupid b: showing a lack of intelligence <asking dumb questions> c: requiring no intelligence <dumb luck>
7: not having the capability to process data <a dumb terminal> — compare intelligent

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
which one of the two fits you. There is nothing dumb about Dominican students.
DUMB:
lacking some usual attribute or accompaniment ; especially : having no means of self-propulsion <a dumb barge>
6 a: lacking intelligence : stupid b: showing a lack of intelligence <asking dumb questions> c: requiring no intelligence <dumb luck>
7: not having the capability to process data <a dumb terminal> — compare intelligent

re?tard?ed
adj.
Often Offensive Affected with mental retardation.
Occurring or developing later than desired or expected; delayed.

So are Dominican students developing later than desired or expected(retarded) or are they lacking in intelligence ( stupid or dumb) I guess this is one of the problems with writing in a language that has more than one meaning for most words. It's hard, almost impossible, to know exactly what one means unless you are in an actual conversation with comparing verbal clues, facial expression, tone of voice. Then is the person writing using a common expression to mean something else or being sarcastic? In the original post where Hillbilly said "they can't read or write" did he literally mean that? I assumed probably correctly that what he meant was most can't read or write well enough for the level they should be at ( delayed or below expectations) sort of like : retarded.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
In the original post where Hillbilly said "they can't read or write" did he literally mean that? I assumed probably correctly that what he meant was most can't read or write well enough for the level they should be at ( delayed or below expectations) sort of like : retarded.

You're getting caught up in semantics, Bob-to the point where your original point has been lost. Now you are trying to extrapolate meaning from Hillbilly's words that are absent from the sentences he articulated on this subjected, both in tone and intent.

Words like dumb, ignorant, retarded-the meanings and usage of these phrases are used in a derisive manner as an insult-they are not used by educational professionals to diagnose a certain condition or to evaluate a students' progress. Anyone in the educational field knows this.

So to help clarify this issue for you, I quote the good people of DR1 as to what the real pressing issue is regarding college students in the Dominican Republic-

College students pose concern

Major deficiencies in students' grammar skills, spelling mistakes, low reading comprehension and other problems are raising concerns among university professors around the country. Teachers are also concerned that lack of concrete ability to develop ideas as well as an inability to reference historical events greatly affects the nation's high school students. "Serbesa" (cerveza), "ospital" (hospital), "esecuarto" (ese cuarto), "habierto", (abierto), "deceo" (deseo), "herror" (error) are just some of the most common spelling mistakes made by college students. Listin Diario quotes a first year Literature professor at a local university who said she was shocked when a student handed her an assignment with the word cerveza misspelled as "serbesa." This is comparable to an English speaker misspelling of "would" as "wood." The teacher was even more shocked after she spoke to the student who asked, "Teacher, I study accounting, why would I need any grammar skills?" UASD Professor Rafael Peralta Romero says the lack of grammar skills is nothing compared to many students' inability to form even a basic thought. "They don't know how to construct sentences, and have limited awareness of things happening in the country."

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
In the original post where Hillbilly said "they can't read or write" did he literally mean that? I assumed probably correctly that what he meant was most can't read or write well enough for the level they should be at ( delayed or below expectations) sort of like : retarded.

You're getting caught up in semantics, Bob-to the point where your original point has lost it's meaning. Now you are trying to extrapolate meaning from Hillbilly's words that are absent from the sentences he articulated on this subjected, both in tone and intent.

So to help clarify this issue for you, I quote the good people of DR1-

Major deficiencies in students' grammar skills, spelling mistakes, low reading comprehension and other problems are raising concerns among university professors around the country. Teachers are also concerned that lack of concrete ability to develop ideas as well as an inability to reference historical events greatly affects the nation's high school students. "Serbesa" (cerveza), "ospital" (hospital), "esecuarto" (ese cuarto), "habierto", (abierto), "deceo" (deseo), "herror" (error) are just some of the most common spelling mistakes made by college students. Listin Diario quotes a first year Literature professor at a local university who said she was shocked when a student handed her an assignment with the word cerveza misspelled as "serbesa." This is comparable to an English speaker misspelling of "would" as "wood." The teacher was even more shocked after she spoke to the student who asked, "Teacher, I study accounting, why would I need any grammar skills?" UASD Professor Rafael Peralta Romero says the lack of grammar skills is nothing compared to many students' inability to form even a basic thought. "They don't know how to construct sentences, and have limited awareness of things happening in the country."

A

apostropheman

I suspect you made you point, the first time ;):cheeky::bunny::bunny:
You're getting caught up in semantics, Bob-to the point where your original point has been lost. Now you are trying to extrapolate meaning from Hillbilly's words that are absent from the sentences he articulated on this subjected, both in tone and intent.

Words like dumb, ignorant, retarded-the meanings and usage of these phrases are used in a derisive manner as an insult-they are not used by educational professionals to diagnose a certain condition or to evaluate a students' progress. Anyone in the educational field knows this.

So to help clarify this issue for you, I quote the good people of DR1 as to what the real pressing issue is regarding college students in the Dominican Republic-

You're getting caught up in semantics, Bob-to the point where your original point has lost it's meaning. Now you are trying to extrapolate meaning from Hillbilly's words that are absent from the sentences he articulated on this subjected, both in tone and intent.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Duh. What does : They can't read or write mean to you; not from the statement above but just the statement by itself. I'm referring to the original statement in the other thread. The point I was trying to make was illustrated by you quite well, thank you.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
"They don't know how to construct sentences, and have limited awareness of things happening in the country."
[/B]

Wow, and I thought all those ads/articles I read with bad grammar and/or spelling was just pure laziness on the part of the writer..........:surprised

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
99.9% of Haitian students who goes to the USA or Canada to finish their education always pass with an average grade "A" and most of them are the top of their classe! felicitation to those youngsters.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
99.9% of Haitian students who goes to the USA or Canada to finish their education always pass with an average grade "A" and most of them are the top of their classe! felicitation to those youngsters.

Because I don't know, I ask you, how many of those "A" students return to their native land to help make it better? I don't mean to become politicians and perpetuate the status quo.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, in a Dominican-based website, the following question is natural and to be expected:

Prove it.

Since you're using a statistic, a reference to the source would be more than enough.

-NALs ;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, in a Dominican-based website, the following question is natural and to be expected:

Can you prove it?

Since you're using a statistic, a reference to the source would be more than enough.

-NALs ;)
In bold I included what I meant to say. Errrr.

-NALs