cheap hotels in santiago

mike88

Nov 22, 2008
My sister is coming to visit me in santiago and asked me what hotels were good to stay at. I was recommending the hotel platino however she and her boyfriend apparently thought that 50 dollars or so is massively overpriced and were looking for something more in the 20-30 dollar range. I dont know whats wrong with hotel platino as it seems like a good deal and is only about 30 seconds walking distance from where i live. But either way ill take any suggestions if anyone knows a decent place that'd be great. If its not decent i guess you get what you ask for and its only for one night anyway. she mentioned to me the hostal del cibao that she saw in a tour book. anyone heard of this place?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look, not too far away, in the Los Pepines section of town is Alberto Suites Hotel...they offer fan-cooled rooms in the 800 peso range...been some time. They are in the book...It is on Calle Vicente Estrella..Walking distance to the monumento.

Next you have Hotel Colonial down on Salvador Cucurrullo St. 247 2231, I think. Ask for Victor or L?zaro...new section is 1350 and includes breakfast. Older section is under 900.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, but the phone number for the Colonial was backwards!! It is 247 3122!!! DORRY

HB

R

rockero

HEY I Am still looking for cheap places in Santiago,,,,,IS HERE NYON THAT LIVES IN SANTIAGO THT CAN HELP ME ON A CHEAP PLACE????? OK Seems like Colonial or Rotunda is the only cheaest around,,,I think THE cheapest in Colonial are 14 bucks a night and THE Rotunda BY Metro 10 bucks a night...Are these the only two places that are cheap like That in Santiago???? I Mean the whole of Santiago just these two places??? What about the cheap hotels by Parque Valerio in the red light district that go for like 8 bucks a night????? No oneever posts on those places???? Is there also anything on Cucurillo BY Hotel Colonial cheaper the 14 a night???? Hope I get some respnds on this soon,,,Thanks,,Rockero........

R

rockero

OK HERE IS the info too>>>>>>>CHEAP Options abound>>>> A Half Dozen budget hotels are clustered aroound CUCURULLO And 30 DE Marzo while less more basic dives can be found for 300 RDS Around Parque Valerio at The Far sothern end of the downtown rectangle..... What is all this about then????

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
OK HERE IS the info too>>>>>>>CHEAP Options abound>>>> A Half Dozen budget hotels are clustered aroound CUCURULLO And 30 DE Marzo while less more basic dives can be found for 300 RDS Around Parque Valerio at The Far sothern end of the downtown rectangle..... What is all this about then????

listen rockero, you have asked the same questions on this forum about 100 times..yea you might find some roach and rat infested place in a red light district but nothing that anyone here on DR1 would stay at or even think about recomending to you..
I bet that you have never even been to the DR yet, things are not as cheap as you think, you want people to tell you about these great safe hotels for 10 bucks a night, well they dont exist..IF you want to stay in a hotel where they will rob you and your posessions and maybe even worse then good luck to you..the two places that Hillbilly recomended are probably your best bet,anywhere else you have to realise will be dangerous to a newbie like you..
The colonial is probably your best bet if you need air, they have overnight security, and the staff can be helpful if you need advise...

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
listen rockero, you have asked the same questions on this forum about 100 times..yea you might find some roach and rat infested place in a red light district but nothing that anyone here on DR1 would stay at or even think about recomending to you..
I bet that you have never even been to the DR yet, things are not as cheap as you think, you want people to tell you about these great safe hotels for 10 bucks a night, well they dont exist..IF you want to stay in a hotel where they will rob you and your posessions and maybe even worse then good luck to you..the two places that Hillbilly recomended are probably your best bet,anywhere else you have to realise will be dangerous to a newbie like you..
The colonial is probably your best bet if you need air, they have overnight security, and the staff can be helpful if you need advise...

rockero.
I have lived for several moths in a small cottage at the countryside in Cuba, so I am used to all kind of insect, bugs, small animals, etc...so no big problem.
But you must also think safety, there is a lot robbery from houses now in DR.
Even that you are a poor foreigner, and Dominicans see you as that.Will you be a foreigner with maybe a laptop, camera, and credit card.

A friend of me wake up in bed in his Sosua apartment with two Haiti guys standing over him and press a knife at his throat. He had to give combination to his safe and pin code number to his credit card (he gave wrong pincode).They had in advance decide to kill him,but spared his life since he could little French.
The place he lived in second floor had a ladder lying on the ground and no iron bars in front of his open window. Now is the ladder secured and all windows has iron bars.
And if you got robbed, will in the end no place be cheap, since you have lost valuable items.

Hotel Colonial seems very safe and cheap for me, why risk to live cheaper for a few buck,when it then is much easier to rob you. Then had I choose to not visit Dr and stayed home..
My life is worth more than live in a not safety place,

lumberjack69

May 21, 2009

Has anyone considered that maybe this guy wants to be assaulted and maybe tied up and raped and robbed. He posts at 1am and 3am and is looking for $5 lodging.
They have websites where you can get abused for free if that is what you are looking for rockero. $14 and your still shopping that's nuts. You do realize they wash the sheets and pillow cases and floor, bath (to what level I don't know) all for you with a staff to help YOU all for $14 and up. Have you tried going to the bus station and sleeping on a bench.

R

rockero

Any updates on La Rotonda? I Got some updates from a female friend in Santiago that lot of places to eat there AND its not in a such bad area. If any thing post on this people. Thanks then.

lumberjack69

May 21, 2009

You are quoting Rough Guide to the DR so I would email then and follow up with a phone call to the numbers in the book. They would love to talk to you about it.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
hotel monterrey in downtown across from Colonial...cheap clean dominican hotel. of course they are not putting up w/nonsense. You can bring a girl but not more than one...they will have you thrown out. you can not go out on the street and drag in hookers.
also have a nice restaurant... free coffee in the morning.. kind of worth just having a room there.

How much per night ?

lumberjack69

May 21, 2009
hotel monterrey in downtown across from Colonial...cheap clean dominican hotel. of course they are not putting up w/nonsense. You can bring a girl but not more than one...they will have you thrown out. you can not go out on the street and drag in hookers.
also have a nice restaurant... free coffee in the morning.. kind of worth just having a room there.

do they have a website? link us up

R

rockero

Any Updates on La Rotunda???? Do they have a website??? Whats their direct address?????????

S

sheepshanx

Look, not too far away, in the Los Pepines section of town is Alberto Suites Hotel...they offer fan-cooled rooms in the 800 peso range...been some time. They are in the book...It is on Calle Vicente Estrella..Walking distance to the monumento.

Next you have Hotel Colonial down on Salvador Cucurrullo St. 247 2231, I think. Ask for Victor or L?zaro...new section is 1350 and includes breakfast. Older section is under 900.

HB

I paid 1200 por Alberto and I wasnt impressed. The fridge in the room never worked even though I was told they would chnage the 1st day I was there, the AC kept blowing circuits oddly the same time every day. I had thought it was in the 700-900 peso range but I was told 1200 pesos/noche. The only thing I can say good about the hotel is that it is safe, but 1200 converts to like $33 and although its not expensive. I dont think I d stay there again. I think they save those cheap fares for the locals.

Those other hotels? Colonial and the like? There are a few on that street specifically, they all suck! Listen, I bet they havent changed the mattresses since 2000 and even then I bet they were used from a better hotel. And unless you re taking all your things with you everytime you leave, I wouldnt stay over there.

vnazaire

Sep 4, 2010
The D.R. is not Cuba

;)The Dominican Republic is not Cuba

In Santiago de Cuba for 15 dollars, in a casa particular NOT official, you will find good rooms for 10 dollars.

In the D.R. in Santiago, Colonial Hotel or Hotel Dorado at 480 pesos a night is your best bet for safety or cleanliness.