Souvenir shops in Sosua

K

kappa

I was speaking to friend the other day on the phone who owns one of the souvenir shops on the way down to the beach from La Roca and taxi rank end of El Batey. He says that the new shops that have opened/are opening have confiscated all the oil painting that where hanging up where the shops were being built. He says they were taken overnight by police and shop owners and that have had to put in a demand to try and get them back. What is more worrying is that he also said that the shop owners have said that the land that the souvenir shops are on is owned by them and they want it back. He tells me that all of the souvenir shop owners are getting together to try and fight against this. Does anyone have any info on this, is it true or was it just a mis-communication over the phone? Eddie, Richard any idea??

R

Richard

Hi kapp. yes it is true. the guys selling paintings were squatters paying no taces or rent. The land was sold and a large large hotel development going in with shops, even a burger king and pizza hut. My friend Sylvie whjo owns Hotel Tropic tells me there is word that the casitas on the other side of the lane are on municipal property and there are rumours of them being history in the not too distant future. all the land from the waters edhge of the beach back to the highway is also privvately owned by a wealthy Dominican and some day those bars and casitas will also dissapear. Time wime tell. p.s. We are looking forward to your new photos on the yahoo sosua club. take care. Richard