Buscando un Sueno

A

A.J.

Has anyone heard of this movie? It also had the english title "In search of a dream". It came out in 1998 by a dominincan director, it was about dominincans moving from the DR to New York in the 90's. It had a great cast, Kamar de los Reyes, Tito Nieves, El General, members of Proyecto Uno.

I am looking for a way to get a copy this movie. It never really played here in the US and I have not been able to find any info about it on the internet. If there is anyone in Santiago or Santo Domingo who knows where I can get it (even New York) or if it is on the internet somewhere I have yet to discover I would be very thankful.

Estoy buscando una pelicula que se llama "Buscando un Sueno" salio en 1998. Es sobre el movimiento de dominicanos del DR a Nueva York (washington Heights). Es una pelicula buenisima que tiene actores como Kamar de los Reyes, Tito Nieves, El General, members of Proyecto Uno.

De que yo sepa nunca salio afuera del DR y Nueva York estoy buscando una forma de comprar este video. Si alguien sabe como puedo conseguirlo, seria agredecida.

S

Susan

I saw it a couple of year's ago in a movie theater in West New York, NJ. It wasn't very good. The story line was very typical. Dominican male played by Kamar, whose Dominican accent was terrible, leaves DR with dreams to be a ball player only to become a drug dealer in Uptown Manhattan. Lauren Velez (who was excellent in I Like It Like That) plays the girlfriend of the highest roller who Kamar eventually seduces. Anyway, Kamar get's caught up with the fast life/easy money and well, you know the outcome. I really expected more. I actually liked Nueva Yol and loved I Like It Like That. I took my Puerto Rican boyfriend at the time and I had to beg him to sit thru it. The quality of the film was bad as well. I don't recommend this movie.

K

Keith R

AJ,

I remember when this movie came through Santo Domingo. The newspapers and my friends who went to see it generally panned it. Most went to see it more to look for Dominican cast members and cameos that they knew, it seemed. By the way, among the cameos was "El Canario," who, because he's a salsero, some folks forget is Dominican. I know you can buy this movie in video stores in the DR, since I saw it there before I moved back to the States last year, but I've no clue as to how to get it in the U.S.
Regards,
Keith

S

Susan

If you insist on buying this flick..

IN SEARCH 0F A DREAM [Buscando un sue?o]

Directed by Joseph Medina, Jaime Pi?a, David Castillo. Dominican Republic, 1997, Color, 100 min. Produced and distributed by Nova Creative Releasing. They can be reached at (212) 333-7770.

A

A.J.

Thank you very much susan. I have been looking for it for awhile. It is a christmas gift for a friend who never got a chance to see it.

i agree with you on the quality of the movie, but the message that the writer/director was trying to convey was a great one.

I did like the similarities of the cinemotography of this movie and that of Spike Lee's early movies.

Speaking of not using dominican actors, i am a little upset that In the Time of the Butterflies does not have dominican actors nor is it being filmed in the DR.