Citizenship HELP!!

rdidwhat

Aug 6, 2008
Hello Everyone,

Recently Ive been attempting to obtain my Dominican Citizeship and I've read that part of the process is to submit all my papework to the Ministry of the Interior and police before I'm granted an interview.

I was wondering if they run your name through a police database in the US for criminal backround.

I was arrested once on a misdemeanor charge in 2005 for getting into a fist fight.

This is not a big deal in the U.S but I'm not sure if this would keep me from being a DR Citizen.

Thank you

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
As of now, all applicants? data is verified via INTERPOL...
Depending on the criminal history/seriousness of the applicant in his/her country of origin/others, the report may contain some minor arrest records or not; it all depends on how the judicial systems in those countries assign the criminal level of each arrest/conviction. That's to say I.E. that an arrest in a country where a DWI or DUI is not on the level of a crime but a traffic infraction or subject to civil codes instead, then the charges will not be deemed to that of an equal event in a country that penalizes the same as a criminal act/offense...

Law and penalties are not uniform worldwide; INTERPOL is the agency that the DR is using to screen applicants today. In some cases the DR's Consular officials do provide some other channels of reference, where INTERPOL is not able to meet the screening requirements of a given country that's not a member/signatory of the global institution.

Having a criminal record in your country of origin/other will not bar you in regards to obtaining the DR's residency/citizenship. Each case has special considerations that mitigate the events under which they occurred. One thing important is that full disclosure be made about any of it. If an applicant fails to summit the record voluntarily and later such record surfaces after a screening, it will make things harder for the applicant to clear.

Reactions: MikeFisher

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
Is it now possible to obtain citizenship, not so long time ago Robert informed that was halted since the new laws are confirmed......