New to Forum ~ New to DR :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gucci13

Feb 2, 2009
Hello ~

I am planning a trip to Puerto Plata this week. I checked the knowledge base but I am looking for more details. I see the rates for a taxi from the airport to the resort, great info thanks! What else can you tell me for a first timer? New places that are open? Must see's and do's? Local favorites?

Thanks in advance :cheeky:

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
On a clear day, visit the mountain Isabela de Torres. You reach the summit by cable car. There are great photo opportunities, nice cafe/bar and a few shops to keep you busy. Do not engage with a guide unless you want to be hassled for your entire visit. I'm sure someone on the forum will tell you of their wonderful experience with a guide, but believe me, it's unnecessary!

J&T

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Spend a half-day on the (main and public) beach in Sosua, East of the airport. Ask around. Take a taxi. Do not die before seeing this. A kilometre or more of shops, bars . . . oh just go and see it, and the rest of Sosua is worth a look too -- El Batuey AND Los Charamicos.

Then there's the city (of Puerto Plata) itself. Some say it's a bore, but I really like the place just to wander around in.

Avoid the taxi that wants to be your guide and guardian. Ask about local transport (minibus/gua-gua).

(You say you're in a resort but what sort of resort-package do you have that you have to be concerned about the rates for taxis from the airport? Isn't ground transport included in the package?)

Status
Not open for further replies.