Free Ads at DR-Journal *PIC*

M

Mark

Hotels, real restates, travel ... now you can advertise for your business at http://www.dr-journal.com FOR FREE with fotos, URL and full service of notification ... test it under ...

B

BIG DADDY

Riot Police attacks Leonel Fernandez

as can be read in the the daily news LF wanted to speak to the attorney general today and turn himself into jail.
riot police and military did not let him pass to reach the attorney generals office.while speaking to the press police started throwing teargas containers into the direction of Leonel who than had to be taken to the hospital to undergo treatment.
at this time no news on his condition!

now speak of things getting worse!!!it's time to send out the scout team to look for a new paradise as this one is starting to develop some ugly cracks!!

K

Karina

Re: Riot Police attacks Leonel Fernandez

No, do not worry! this is still paradise!!.
14 years ago another EX-president also got "sick" when accused of corruption. It looked as a big deal at that moment, but as you can see, We are still here!!
and the tear gas was not directed at Leonel. It is a bad practice of the police when there's a crowd and they think things can get out of hand.
Leonel didn't need to get hospitalized, as he should know being an UASD graduate, tear gas "treatment" is only washing your eyes with a lot of water, strong eye drops (or lemon), and some rest. (I know, I've been there)
I recognized it sounds strong in english, and for foreigners eyes("riots police" etc.,) but wait and see, this new political soap opera will blow away too.
Although, I would have handle it differently, They got what they were looking for: a way of diverting the subject of corruption to one of "martyrdom" of political persecution. If the people believe it, is still to see.

(UASD is the public university, scenario of many REAL fights against the police for democracy and human rights in the 60's, 70's)

E

ECH, M.D.

Just one BIG error in your post on which I am compelled to comment. One does NOT irrigate (wash) the eyes with either STRONG EYE DROPS OR LEMON!!!! Please!!!!
Sterile water is fine and, as you say, lots of it. But leave "drops" and "home remedies" to professionals (i.e. ophthalmologists). You do know Lemon is a mild to moderate ACID (Citric acid)! Highly irritating to the eye.

T

tony

Dominican ex-president Fernandez injured at protest of aides' arrest
November 24, 2000
Web posted at: 2:26 PM EST (1926 GMT)

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) -- Police threw tear gas at former President Leonel Fernandez and a crowd of supporters Friday, injuring Fernandez as he was to demand that authorities arrest him as a protest against the new government.

"Ex-President Leonel Fernandez has been the victim of an attempt (on his life)," said Isabel Bonilla, a legislator and spokeswoman for Fernandez's Dominican Liberation Party. "This is not how you do democracy."

Fernandez went to a clinic, complaining of breathing problems caused by the tear gas, officials said. He was in stable condition and was expected to stay in the clinic for the rest of the day rather than return to the Supreme Court, where the melee broke out.

Police also fired warning shots above the crowd's head, but there were no reports of serious injuries.

Fernandez was protesting against the arrests Thursday night of two members of his administration on corruption charges. Fernandez had said in a written statement that he would ask Attorney General Virgilio Bello Rosa, whose office is at the courthouse, to arrest him even though he does not face any charges.

Up to 400 cheering supporters greeted Fernandez around noon Friday at the Supreme Court. He was slowly making his way through when police and soldiers set off tear gas to disperse the crowd and fired shots above their heads. Although the crowd was large and boisterous, they did not appear to be violent. There were no arrests.

"This is an abuse of the state, a state that doesn't respect the people nor our most decent citizens," said Miguel Fernandez, one of the supporters in the crowd, who is not related to the former president.

Government officials were not immediately commenting, but a statement was expected later Friday. President Hipolito Mejia succeeded Fernandez in August as leader of the Caribbean nation of 8 million.

Police on Thursday night detained former Public Works Secretary Diandino Pena, and former Comptroller Haivanjoe Ng Cortinas on allegations of misuse of 1.5 billion pesos ($90 million) meant for a program known as the Provisional Employment Program.

The program gave residents of needy neighborhoods cash but not necessarily jobs, as a way to avoid protests. The administration of Mejia, who succeeded Fernandez in August, now questions to whom the money was given.

Pena, who is Fernandez's neighbor, was one of the former president's closest collaborators, also acting as his administrative secretary during his four-year term.

Bello said Friday's incident would not discourage prosecutors from continuing with the case.

"We are disposed to assume the historic consequences to submit to justice all those who have robbed money from the state, even if that comes with a personal physical risk," Bello said.

The new administration also has been investigating former Secretary of State Luis Ynchausti and former supervisor of state affairs Felix Bautista, both of Fernandez's administration, on allegations they inflated the cost of a highway project by more than 50 million pesos ($3 million).

Fernandez in his written statement Friday had attacked Mejia's Dominican Revolutionary Party as "a new despotic power" that intends to break up his Dominican Liberation Party, now the opposition.

"The (Revolutionary Party) has control of the executive, legislative and municipal branches -- eliminating the (Liberation Party) would give them absolute power in the country," Fernandez said in his statement. "The arbitrary and despotic manner in which the administration is run constitutes a principal threat to the survival of democracy."

C

CES

dictator Gen. Augusto Pinochet

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) ? Former Chilean
dictator Gen. Augusto Pinochet has made a
hesitant admission of responsibility for
atrocities the army committed during his years
of rule, saying in a taped birthday message
that he accepts ``all the facts.

The Dominican Republic and Chile have similar histories of abuse at hands of a bloody dictatorship that the USA nurtured in it's beginning and supported through many terrible years.

. . . CES

For the article click on:

http://wire.ap.org/?SLUG=CHILE%2dPINOCHETa

T

tony

Re: dictator Gen. Augusto Pinochet

Hope you understood me this time ? Since you insulted my knowledge in an earlier reply...That's okay though...Ignorance is special...Now don't tell me that Ex-Pres Fernandez pciked up a tear gas canister and through it back at the police or better yet mejia...oh wait..you were there right...Gosh, wish I could be like you...

C

CES

Re: dictator Gen. . . (Tony)

Tony,

Knock if off, your snipping serves no use full purpose and it falls outside of the board guide lines. . .

. . . CES

B

Bert

Leonel is common citizen

Sorry, don?t understand what all the fuss is about. News didn?t mention all details, I have to hope the police gave protesters forewarning and time to disperse when things got unruly. To the cannister of CS agent (teargas), Leonel is a common citizen and just another target. Had me all sorts of folks behind bars after an order to disperse or leave a building : ex-primeministers, ministers, priests, judges, lawyers. Fail to see what makes Leonel so special (unless he has astma) that he should be treated different. Wrong place, wrong time. Cuidense

K

Karina

To ECH MD:
You are right, and thank you for your clarification.
lemon is too strong for the eyes, but I used it during an attack at UASD, (I studied at a private university but I went to the library there at a bad day).
It was the only thing available, (no sterile water around!) and without any means of getting out for a few hours, nothing else could be done. (The campus was surrounded by the police)
of course, it is not a remedy for more "normal" circumstances.

(my comments are a result of some "political" experience,
they were not intended as medical expertice).

W

WilliamLeslie

Re: Leonel is common citizen

Yes true, BUT he may be the next president.

T

Tom

Re: Leonel is common citizen

It's quite a stretch to call the ex-president a "Common citizen" Hell, in the US the Secret Service would probably been shooting at one another