Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Delta will opertate Atlanta to Santo DOmingo on a MD88 aircraft

ATL-SDQ dept 1035am arriving at 2:49pm
SDQ-ATL Dept 3:59PM arriving at 6:55PM

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
when does the new schedule take place for delta to atl and jfk from DR airports?

edm7583

May 29, 2007
an MD88? That's a huge downgrade to what they were flying there.before (757, I believe) It's much smaller (and much older) 3-2 seating, smaller overhead bins,(many rollerbags won't fit) no IFE system.

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
This is their usual schedule. What changed? The aircraft type?

Yep the A/c type change...first time using a MD-88 to Sdq.
I remember 1st flight DL1662 Boston-Atlanta-Sdq with a B-767-200.
now MD-88 will operate like 5 time a week.

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
no they didn't. Its once a week, saturday only from sti and maybe 4 times / week from sdq.
AZB

Hey AZB...just came from Africa yesterday.
STI will operate saturday only..at least still a B-737-800 with tv's
But yuk MD-88 to SDQ with not movies or music for 3hours trip...

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
an MD88? That's a huge downgrade to what they were flying there.before (757, I believe) It's much smaller (and much older) 3-2 seating, smaller overhead bins,(many rollerbags won't fit) no IFE system.

beleive it or not...this a/c has extended Overbins on the capt side...you can fit regular bags..and because the load in march..Bag wont be a problem.
its a great a/c..even I dont like it..

edm7583

May 29, 2007
beleive it or not...this a/c has extended Overbins on the capt side...you can fit regular bags..and because the load in march..Bag wont be a problem.
its a great a/c..even I dont like it..

that's right. According to Seatguru, the rollerbags will only fit on the ABC side of the aircraft. Other issues are that there is only 31" pitch in the last few rows and that there's not a thing to look at on the 3 hour flight. The biggest issue however is the reduction in capacity. The fact that they are using a plane that holds only 142 passengers five times a week shows that Delta's market share in the DR is getting smaller and smaller. Demand must really be falling off.

If I were to fly Delta to DR, which i don't, as their prices from Florida are usually really high, the plane I would take for the 1 hour flight from Tampa-Atlanta (767-300)would be bigger than the plane I would take from ATL-SDQ (MD88)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The md88 plane is smaller but if you are flying first class, it makes no difference. the seats are leather covered, wide and you don't hear the engine noise. the plane takes off as if the engines are off.
My favorite delta plane is 777 and their first class is something to wrote home about. Too bad they discontinued the 777 from jfk to atl. I used to take that flight all the time.
AZB

agomera

Nov 16, 2005
There go my upgrades. dam.

Upgrades on any Delta flight to SDQ are the least thing to worry about. Even on high season, I've been the only passenger upgraded and probably 3-4 Revenue First Class passengers, the cabin is always full because of the usual op-ups and non-rev passengers.

agomera

Nov 16, 2005
The md88 plane is smaller but if you are flying first class, it makes no difference. the seats are leather covered, wide and you don't hear the engine noise. the plane takes off as if the engines are off.
My favorite delta plane is 777 and their first class is something to wrote home about. Too bad they discontinued the 777 from jfk to atl. I used to take that flight all the time.
AZB

I second that. The first class cabin on the mad dogs is probably the quietest cabin on the entire fleet, since you don't hear the engine noise. Downside: the lack of oven.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Upgrades on any Delta flight to SDQ are the least thing to worry about. Even on high season, I've been the only passenger upgraded and probably 3-4 Revenue First Class passengers, the cabin is always full because of the usual op-ups and non-rev passengers.

I'll check it out in about a month when I go down for some much needed R & R.

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
AZB

AZB...have you been in the new B777..flat beds..??