Need Help!!

ndpacker

Feb 4, 2009
I am a senior at St. Cloud State University in Minnesota. I am researching the Dominican Republic for a Global Business class. One of our assignments for this project is to contact a person who is either a citizen of our chosen country or is knowledgable about the country's business practices. Any information would be extremely helpful. The topics I am focusing on are: legal systems, economic environment, the language, communication, cultural values (attitudes), and business and social customs of the Dominican Republic. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

ndpacker

Feb 4, 2009
Just any information on what the economy is like there, how the legal system works, the overall culture, and business customs that might be different than in the United States. Any info would be great!! Thanks :)

Mar 2, 2008
Do you know how to use the 'search' feature on DR1? On the tool bar at the top of this page click on search and enter key words. You'll find lots of stuff to read.

ndpacker

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah I have done a lot of research on the website and it has been really helpful. It's just that our professor wants to hear about these issues from someone who has actually experienced them (who has lived or lives in the Dominican Republic) in order to get first-hand information. Again, ANY info is greatly appreciated!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Business practices:
Here a bit of local folklore:
One of the country's major businessmen supposedly made his fortune in the Civil War of 1965.
Goes like this.

A whole bunch of his merchandise was stored in warehouses on the Santo Domingo wharf, under the care of Dominican Customs--I mean a whole lot--but with the outbreak of hostilities, the warehouses were on the side of the "rebels" and his business offices on the other.

So the guy goes to the chief of the "rebels" and 'makes a deal", sends in trucks, empties the warehouse, and "somehow" the warehouse catches fire, an 'act of war' covered in his insurance, and he had his merchandise and the money....so they say...

Or the paint company that tried to get into the market...seems that the "other" paint company sold millions of gallons at below cost, drove the other one to sell out, and now the first one is the only one here!!

Or the guy that wanted to build a hotel and asked for quotes on rebar. He said he wanted hundreds of tons, and wanted a price break. The rebar company said no. So he went out and ordered a shipload from Russia, and undercut the local company dumping thousands of tons on the local market...not that it did much good, but it did drive the price down for a few months.

Or the peanut oil company that found out that they could buy raw peanut oil cheaper in the US (from Jimmy Carter??) and decided to stop helping local peanut farmers, driving thousands of them into poverty worse than they were already in...and then they went out and planted hundreds (maybe thousands) of acres in African oil palm trees....the oil of which was then mixed with local edible oils....no controls here...and this AFTER the US announced that palm oil was really, really bad for hearts...

Or....there are tons of these...

Wait a bit, there will be more...

HB

varunsharma

Feb 10, 2009
A whole bunch of his merchandise was stored in warehouses on the Santo Domingo wharf, under the care of Dominican Customs--I mean a whole lot--but with the outbreak of hostilities, the warehouses were on the side of the "rebels" and his business offices on the other.

So the guy goes to the chief of the "rebels" and 'makes a deal", sends in trucks, empties the warehouse, and "somehow" the warehouse catches fire, an 'act of war' covered in his insurance, and he had his merchandise and the money....so they say...

Or the paint company that tried to get into the market...seems that the "other" paint company sold millions of gallons at below cost, drove the other one to sell out, and now the first one is the only one here!!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
verunsharma .......... AKA 'Repeat after Me' or 'WTF' or "I don't know what to say but I'll say something anyway'!!

Are you trying to make a point somewhere verunsharma? ~ Grahame.