Playa Dorada..Suggestions??

R

Robin

Does anyone have any suggestions on excursions?? Will be in Playa Dorada in Feb 2001.Also how much should I expect to pay for cab fare from POP airport to Playa Dorada?? Thanks Robin

B

Bob Morris

Last year, if I remember correctly the cab fare was RD$300 or about US$20.00.

Excursions depend your own agility. Most involve a fair bit of walking and one, billed as a "Jeep Safari" is actually a ride in the back of a pick up 4X4. I am given to understand that it does get into the country and you see a lot of locals, however my wife has a bad back and we haven't tried it.

If you take the tour to Santo Domingo stick to your guide like a burr on a blanket. The one on the tour I took didn't pay too much attention and I very nearly got stranded. A very alert cabbie who fortunately had a good command of English knew the walking route that tours usually take guided me on an intercept course to get back with the group. Aside from that the tour was well worth it. The trip into Puerta Plata is interesting too and I understand that the cable car is supposed to be back in operation so it would be a good one.

There are others but if you want more data I suggest you email me direct at <rlmorris@telus.net>

Enjoy - we always do enjoy our time in the DR and will be there for our 4th visit in February.

Regards Bob

D

diana

Definitely go on a jeep safari. Very memorable. Bring small candies, gum for the little children. You will be happy you did. Haiti is also a good excursion. A catamaran day trip is lots of fun going to sosua beach and snorkeling. A trip to Paradise Island is also beautiful. I can go on and on. Mostly everying is good. From the POP airport to Costembar which is a little further that Puerto Plata it cost around 25.00/

T

Tom

Before you even thing about Haiti, consider the unrest, riots and bombings due to Sundays's elections

P

Phyllis

Cab from POP airport to Playa Dorada is 250/300 pesos (about $25 Canadian).

Tour of POP, Amber mueseum, then off to spend the day at the beach in Sosua is wonderful! You can also shop at the large open air market along the beach and go snorkelling for a very cheap price - great fish!

The Playa Grande beach tour is great too - it's an all day tour that includes a trip to a family's plantain, lunch at a great local restaurant, and the afternoon at one of the most beautiful beaches - very large waves!