arepa

S

shawna

Anyone have a recipe for Dominican Arepa. I think its made with cornmeal, kinda sweet. I loved it while I was there,but have no idea how to make it.
thanks

T

Tony C.

Shawna,

First off Arepas are originally from Venezuela not the D.R..

An arepa is just ground corn(Cornmeal) cooked in pattie shape over a flat grill. Usually stuffed with Cheese or meat.

Tony C.

T

Tom F.

The Dominicans have there own arepa. I don't know the recipe but hopefully someone will come up with it. In the DR a torilla is an egg omelette.

S

shawna

listen stupid of course there is arepa in Argentina and of course it is something different!!!! If you knew much about latin america you would know that foods which are called the same thing are very different in different countries. So if you don't know what you are talking about then don't comment.
arepa in the Dominican Republic is not just fried cornbread.

B

bob saunders

My wife uses cornmeal or corn flour, mixes in eggs and coconut and this is probably what gives the sweet flavour. There are different forms and methods for cooking cornbread, pone, whatever name you want to give it, it great tasting. My grandmother from New Brunswick, Canada made 'Johnnycake ' which we ate with baked beans and butter, fanastico. Good luck with finding a recipe and try to avoid calling people stupid.

N

Natasha

There is also arepitas-just to complicate matters

An "arepita" can be made out of yuca, which is ground yuca mixed with eggs, butter, milk, salt, pepper and annis. The dough or "masa", as it is called in Spanish, is fried in small pieces (traditionally they are shaped into small, flattened, oval pieces). This is one of my favorite Dominican dishes (yum).

Regards,
Natasha