Cellular Phones

C

Cindy

What cellular phones can be purchased in the states for use in Santo Domingo? I am looking in particular for an ericsson flip-phone that can be used in the DR?

L

Lyse

And in mine Qualcomm are the best. I've seen more Qualcomm than Nokia in the D.R.

D

Duck

Doesn't it have to do with the system of the phone (frequency etc.) and not the brand? My Nokia from Germany doesn't work in the DR.

J

Jim Hinsch

Exactly. The brand is totally irrellevant. This has been covered SO many times recently on this board it is getting to be as like the question "what's the weather like in the DR".

M

Marcelo Gonzalez

So, getting back to the question, if it's the system that matters, then what one should you look for and which one should you avoid?

J

Jim Hinsch

As has been posted at least a dozen times on this board in the last few months, see www.BocaChicaBeach.net/staying_in_touch.html for a complete report on using cell phones in the Dominican Republic.

N

NewT

Re: Cellular Phones - UPDATE - free activation *PIC*

Here's the latest, Tricom is running a promotion indefinitely. If you buy a 200 peso "Amigo" pre-paid cellular card, Tricom will activate your phone on their analog network so you can receive calls (free of charge) and place calls (standard Amigo rates) using your very own Dominican phone number. The activation includes free voice mail, call waiting, and 3-way calling. The normal 60-day usage and replenishment rules apply

Of course, there is a catch. The free activation takes up to 5 business days - - not very convenient for most tourists. Digital and analog Amigo paid activation still costs 650 pesos and is usually completed within two business days.

happy calling

M

Marcelo Gonzalez

Excellent information! You?ll have to excuse an occassional question that may reappear on the Board from time to time. After all, not everyone?s been posting messages for as long as you have. Let?s not make newcomers to the Board feel quite as such.

J

John

WHATS YOUR COMMISION JIM ??

HEY JIM,

WHY DO YOU KEEP ON ADVERSTISING THIS SITE ???
WHAT'S YOUR COMMISION BUDDY ???

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: WHATS YOUR COMMISION JIM ??

I point people to the information when they ask for it (plus I get US$150 per visitor I refer).

For certain types if information, such as staying in touch with or within the Dominican Republic, Links to Dominican Republic related sites, transportation to or within the DR, DR Weather, and money as it relates to tourists, or anything relating to Boca Chica, there is no site anywhere on the web with better info. See www.BocaChicaBeach.net

C

Cindy

Re: Cellular Phones (to Jim)

Thanks Marcelo! I did feel kind of embarrassed.. And after all, Jim, you dont have to answer if you don thave the time or dont want to be bothered

J

Jim Hinsch

No, I don't, but I did, so I did and did. Common message board (and Newsgroup) etiquette dictates that one check the archives or frequently asked questions before posting a question.

M

Marcelo Gonzalez

It would be nice if everyone dedicated the extra time necessary to familiarize themselves with such etiquette Jim, but not everyone does, and for those times that we don't, we needn't be so condescendingly reminded of the fact. As a teacher, I think it's abhorrent that a person with the cyber-savy you seem to have, would use it in such a reckless way.

As a teacher, I believe that when one endeavors to learn a new skill (such as using the Internet) she should be applauded for her efforts, rather than criticized for her shortcomings.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Reckless

Another reckless message board etiquette lesson: If you have a message just for me, use E-mail. Your use of the collective "we" is, as you say, "abhorrent".