Sun's angle in the DR

T

Tom F.

I emailed the source to better explain myself. This is his explaination of the point I was trying to make earlier.

"Dear Tom, On the equinox (sep 22, mar 22) everything is easy. The incident of angle of the suns rays is 90 degrees minus exactly the latitude at which you are. So if you are in the DR, you would tilt 19 degrees to get a perfect 90 degree impact at high noon (In relation to solar panels). I should mention there is no summer equinox, but rather a solstice -- and at that point the suns path has moved so far north (23 degrees) that you actually should tilt your panel 4 degrees north instead of towards the south (19-24=24)to get perfect impact. This last situation confuses many people. The reason that we would actually have to tilt backwards toward the north is that the DR lies below the tropic of cancer, the tropic of cancer being precisely the point wher the sun makes it's direct impact on the summer's solstice. It's kind of hard to explain by email and without a golbe but call if this isn't clear enough. A fascinating area though. It wasn't until I studied it that I found out that this is where the term tropics comes from (the region between 23 degrees north and 23 degrees south latitudes. As always, Eric.