Sneezing Cashier at big Duarte Supermarket

OscarDeLaRenta

Nov 24, 2008
There's a cashier at the big supermarket near Duarte Park (off Duarte, off El Conde...it's not actually called "Duarte Park" but that's what I call it...the Chinatown street monument is visable), who was sneezing into her hands and picking and rubbing her nose while passing my goods by the scanner. She also just looked sickly, and had a nicely growing wustache (woman mustache) to boot. I asked if she had a cold, and she said yes...she's had it for a couple weeks and it's terrible she said. Now, disgusting as this may sound especially since some of the things I bought were meant to be eaten right from the "touched" can, the greater worry is not that it's disgusting, but that one can contract very serious diseases this way...tuberculosis can even be contracted through the air. If you run a major supermarket like that, you make it your business to drill into the cashiers not to do things like sneeze into their hands and on to the food that's on the conveyor belt. They should say, dispenseme, walk a few feet away, and then sneeze into their armpit. Anyway, be careful folks.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is old news as most Dominicans aren't aware of the effect of germs, hence they will eat and drink from the same food/drink using the same utensils and cups. If you go to a baseball game here and have a bottle of rum, don't be surprised if a another fan asks you for a swig, don't expect him to clean the bottle after finishing as a little spitback is good for you.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
This is old news as most Dominicans aren't aware of the effect of germs, hence they will eat and drink from the same food/drink using the same utensils and cups. If you go to a baseball game here and have a bottle of rum, don't be surprised if a another fan asks you for a swig, don't expect him to clean the bottle after finishing as a little spitback is good for you.

Good one :)

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
They do this at the banks as well.

The teller had the sniffles and kept wiping the mucus off his nose and onto the cash he was counting.

I hope I don't I don't get charged with money laudering because that's what i had to do.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Really, this is a universal phenomenon. I find that in most first-world countries, many people are oblivious to this transmision of germs via this method...so not endemic to the DR....and those are only the one's you see!;)

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Mad as hell

It's so easy to gang-up on dominicans by doing this or that. Let me tell you this: Not too long ago I was at 79th st and Broadway, (NEW YORK). I wanted to buy a hotdog from the vendor across the street but when I saw what he did with his nose and hands, I just looked the other way. But when a Dominican does becomes a National news for most of you. Why is this? Don't like it? Leave..

Zeus (Mad as hell):ninja:

Reactions: drloca

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For years I never had Catchup with my hotdogs after a vendor at Yankee Stadium cut his hand with the knife used to open the buns (Yeah, folks, this was a really long time ago!), and mixed his blood with the catchup...which I discovered only after munching once or twice...EEEEueuuueee aaaggfffff...

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
It's so easy to gang-up on dominicans by doing this or that. Let me tell you this: Not too long ago I was at 79th st and Broadway, (NEW YORK). I wanted to buy a hotdog from the vendor across the street but when I saw what he did with his nose and hands, I just looked the other way. But when a Dominican does becomes a National news for most of you. Why is this? Don't like it? Leave..

Zeus (Mad as hell):ninja:

This is all it takes to make you mad as hell?!?!
SHALENA

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I don't realize in such terrible sanitary conditions the Haitians cook the delicious "dulce de mani" and "los palitos de coco" they sales in the street of the DR. I can eat any thing like frituras, empanadas, quipes, the meat people hang in the side of the road and all the fly and the dust stick in the meat & I don't get sick I'm used to.

JJ