Questions on moving from US to DR...

D

danielle

Greetings,

Recently visited DR for a Family Reunion. Pretty interesting place. Was not impressed with Bonao but thought Santo Domingo was georgeous. Was not able to really get out and Site see. Wanted to visit Puerto Plata, which I hear is just amazingly beautiful. Wanted to go whale watching. Just out of curiosity of possibilities of moving--- I would be interested in finding out what sort of jobs are available for American citizens, and what the pay rate is like, education for college as well as elementary schools, obtaining permanent residency but not citizenship, housing (adequete with hot water and constant electric). I know in Bonao you can design your own home and build it since most of the homes out there are concrete, which I thought was pretty interesting. Also I do not speak spanish well, any suggestions on learning??? Also what sort of conclusion was made with the riots about the water shortage last week (11/26)?? Please e-mail me directly if possible, Thanks for any information you can give me.

Danielle

T

trooper

i will tell you this much i was going to dr every weekend for 2 years because i worked for aa but its a very nice place but i would not want to live there after all my years here i see that the way of life in dr is very nice but i need running water and lights when ever i want it not when they feel i can have it

J

julia rath

Hi trooper,

i agree with you concerning running water and electricity but do you really think that you cannot get used to circumstances like that??
i just came back from dr - it was my third vacation this year, i spent 6 weeks there ttly and back in germany i definetely would like the try to live in dr.

do you think this is impossible???

julia

S

Sarah

May I comment? No, Julia, it's not impossible. Follow your dream! You'll be pleasantly surprised with what modern conveniences you can actually do without. Life in the DR is considerably much less stressful, less complicated. If nothing else, you'll learn how two thirds (or more) of the world really lives, and how much we take for granted in our everyday lives. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

S

Sarah

After purchasing land, any good engineer can draw up plans for a nice concrete block house for you along with a list of all supplies necessary for constructing it and even price it out for you. My three bedroom, two bathroom house complete with a galeria, comedor, sala and cocina shouldn't run me more than $10,000US for supplies. I have friends building it, so I won't incur much cost there. The land cost around $1600US and I'll still have room to build a little restaurant later on. Keep in mind that this is in a village near Barahona. I don't know what the differences may be in Santo Domingo. I am also no expert on residency/citizenship or employment. But anyway, my point is...yes, you can design your own home, easily.

T

trooper

nothing is impossible if you want to do it but i cant im not ready for that type of life style yet. YET soon will be ready for it but not yet.