Urgent -- please help with travel question!

beubanks

Feb 22, 2009
Hello,

There will be two of us coming to explore DR in four days. We will fly into Santo Domingo and then take a bus (Caribe Bus Line) to Jarabacoa where we will stay for one night. Next, we will be going north to Rio San Juan for a night. How do you get from Jarabacoa to Rio San Juan? Are there any buses that go from one to the other? If not, is there a way to take multiple buses or gua-guas to get from one to the other?

After Rio San Juan, we are going to Las Galeras. Same thing -- can you get from Rio San Juan to Las Galeras using public transportation? Is this easy to do? Any idea on if we will need to take multiple buses/gua-guas or if it can be done in one bus ride?

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think a lot of folks have shyed away from this since you will be spending valuable hours of your vacation on buses or waiting for buses.

Your most complicated trip will be from Jarabacoa to the beach. You have to get off the mountain first, and you would probably do better if you took a local minibus to Santiago directly rather than the more formal Caribe Tour bust to La Vega and then Caribe tour to Santiago where you could then catch a bus to Cabarete or close by. You could also get a taxi in Santaigo that would take you to the North Shore for 70 buks US (two people in a Toyota Camry)

Does any of this make sense? if not sing out and I''l try and clarify.

Contact "bachata" for information regarding the taxi to the North shore if you are interested. You can send him a PM

Frm Cabarete there are local buses, dirt cheap, that go around to Samana and Las Galeras..

have a ball!

HB

beubanks

Feb 22, 2009
HB,

Thank you so much for your reply! We speak limited Spanish so anything we can learn before we go is very helpful. So you think the easiest thing to do to get from Jarabacoa to Rio San Juan is to take a local minibus (not Caribe Tours) to Santiago first (I assume this is what is called a gua-gua?), then catch a bus (I assume Caribe Tour?) to Cabarate, and then catch a minibus from Cabarate to Rio San Juan?

Please confirm if this correct. Also, are all of these buses and minibuses easy to catch in the town centers? Thank you for all of your help.

Sincerely,

Bill

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, that is more or less what i was saying. And yes they are easy to catch. I do think that you should PM our friend "JJ" (Look up 'Juan Jose Rojas' in Facebook, if you want.
He has a list of trustworthy drivers that will take you from Santiago to Rio San Juan for probably $80 dollars, since it is much further than Sosua or Cabarete. Try that and let me know. We can't have you wandering lost all around this place, now can we?

HB

beubanks

Feb 22, 2009
For convenience (so we don't lose too much of our precious vacation), we might just cut out the one night in Jarabacoa and take Caribe Tours straight from Santo Domingo to Rio San Juan and have two days on the beaches in Rio San Juan. What are your thoughts? Will we miss a lot of culture by not going to Jarabacoa? Or is the drive to Rio San Juan (through Nagua) a beautiful drive where you can see the "real" interior of DR?

Thanks,

Bill