Campaign ad in Canada attacking the DR

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I've just watched this and feels disgusted, like if those diseases are nonexistent in other parts of the world.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8r8XzUqY-E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8r8XzUqY-E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I was born and raised here and have never contracted any of these diseases neither met somebody with any kind of hepatitis, I think this is bull****...

Reactions: drloca

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I've just watched this and feels disgusted, like if those diseases are nonexistent in other parts of the world.

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/r8r8XzUqY-E&hl=en&fs=1 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

I was born and raised here and have never contracted any of these diseases neither met somebody with any kind of hepatitis, I think this is bull****...

What they didn't mention is that a lot of tourist have unprotected sex with anybody they can find in the side of the road, they get infected and blamed it to the country.

lili4ever

Jan 22, 2008
It's not DR in particular...dont sweat...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8r8XzUqY-E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8r8XzUqY-E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is a commercial of Twin Rex vaccination advertising to make money...they are not attacking DR in particular ...dont take it to heart!!!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
This is a commercial of Twin Rex vaccination advertising to make money...they are not attacking DR in particular ...dont take it to heart!!!

Why they have to specify the DR?, they could say that in a nightclub you could contract the same disease or having unprotected sex with a random person you meet at the mall in Canada, why the need to specify Dominican Republic and its beaches??

Facility

Sep 3, 2008
'Cause thus it gives this ad a certain class.
Might even consider it a wayward compliment to the country, it means that their research states that lots of the target audience identify themselves with the wishful thinkiing of going to DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
They say beautiful caribbean destinations like the Dominican Republic, not specifically the DR. One of the reason they would use the DR, is it is a very popular destination for Canadians. News for you there is a lot of Hep A, B, and C in the DR. Last trip I was looking at the archives at the city hall in Jarabacoa and the stats on deaths from Hepatitis is quite high. I also talked with a Dr Jimenez, Spanish trained Dominican doctor who has been practising for 25 years in the DR about this subject. He told me that at times Hep A has been at epidemic levels. Perhaps you know less about your country than you think.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
ExtremeR,

This is a VERY pooular ad in Canada to promote the Twin/rx vaccine. It may be a false representation of the DR and MX (popular Canadian destinations) but it WILL save lives in the long run....If only more countries made their ppl aware of existing epidemic (abeit not indigenous to the DR...maybe it would help ;)

D

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The ad is being pulled

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...pull-ad-campaign-that-harms-Dominican-tourism

But the vaccination is a good idea for all travelers to any countries which do not have potable water. And no, that does not mean water that you can put into a pot and boil, it means water that is safe to drink - which most Dominican tap water is not, despite the government's use of the term "agua potable".

Last edited:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Good to hear that the ad was pulled. But I'd like to ask you if have contracted any kind of a hepatitis disease in the DR, or better, if you have known somebody with hepatitis contracted in the DR?

Bob I know my country quite well and when I was a child I remember some vaccinations programs that went house for house against every kind of hepatitis and since quite some time (more than 10 years) haven't heard anything talking about hepatitis in epidemic levels or even high levels. Jarabacoa is a beatiful but small town that may not resemble the story about the whole DR.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Pleased to see that ad was pulled. I guess nobody has ever contarcted Hepatitis in Canada??:ermm:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Pleased to see that ad was pulled. I guess nobody has ever contarcted Hepatitis in Canada??:ermm:

Hep A and B are worldwide. and there is an extensive health campaign in Canada about the risks and free vaccinations available, usually done at high school level or sooner. Hep B has a high rate in the Arctic in Canada but Hep A rates are low. Haiti is very high for both A & B,and the DR is High for Hep A and moderate for Hep B. Being that there is an artificial border separating the two countries with several millions Haitians in the DR, it would be natural to assume they transport their diseases with them. Glad they removed the add though, for those overly sensitive people that were offended. My wife, who is very sensitive to criticism of the DR, has watched it and realized it wasn't about the DR. Don't believe my stats look at the following reputable website.

Health Information for Dominican Republic | CDC Travelers' Health

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
In Canada, we are bombarded with ads for malaria awareness and hepatitis awareness every year in the winter months.

We dont have a high incidence of either of these typically and I think the government feels they need to make Canadians aware of potential dangers before the high travel season.

I do agree they go a little overboard with their warnings, however, there are a lot of naive and ignorant travellers and I believe these ads are meant for them.

Before I left Canada in Feb, I must have been advised by at least 5 different people that malaria and hepatitis was on the rise again because the news stations are doing stories on it as well.

Its nothing new...just another year with the same old warnings.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I was reading this thread and thought about a young girl who went on vacation to the DR and did get Malaria. I have never known anyone before but she is doing fine now :) So I decided to do a search and typed in Malaria and the first link was this:

Home

Wow again they mention the DR.

I will also say I have never gotten anything on my trips the the DR or any island I have visited and this can happen anywhere.
I am also glad they pulled the advertisement mentioned on this thread.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Malaria -- Hep A-- HIV

There was a malaria outbreak in Punta Cana several years ago and a few tourists were infected. The transmission of malaria has to occur by a mosquito biting an infected person and then biting you within 24 hours so it is not that easy to get.

Haiti does have malaria outbreaks as well but the DR does not have an ongoing malaria worry.

When my sister came to visit me a few years ago, up in Las Terrenas, she learned upon her return that she was barred from giving blood (she is a platelet donor- has a rare blood type) for an entire year. Also I met some Canadian tourists who were put on antimalarial drugs BEFORE they came here - exceedingly strong ones at that,- when there was no active outbreak.

Hep A is transmitted by the oral-fecal route and an outbreak can occur anywhere, anytime - so it is wise to get a gamma globulin shot (I believe this is correct but I am not a doctor, so PLEASE do the research!). We had an outbreak at a popular restaurant in North Carolina a few years ago and seemed like half the town had to line up for shots.

The most important issue for the DR is that HIV is still at epidemic levels at 1.89% (1% is considered epidemic levels) - with the rate in sex workers going as high as 6% (source:population Services International).

SO-- DO NOT HAVE SEX WITHOUT A CONDOM while in the DR or HAITI.

This goes for EVERYONE - As the number of partners here is high and the information on the spread of the disease is low, and the use of condoms with "trusted partners" is low.

Talk about a bad vacation trip! Don't let it happen to you.