El Abanico (Autpista Duarte) to Constanza

solisdad2000

Aug 31, 2005
I can't think why anyone who doesn't live in Constanza would want to drive to or from it at night - the road is too dangerous for those not used to it. However, just in case, here's some news.

The recent road improvements have been closely followed by the appearance of a new river that sprang from the mountain where it had been faced with concrete and then crossed the road, dumping slippery mud everywhere. Nothing was done to resolve this properly 9they just cleared the mud all the time with a bulldozer). So unbeknownst to anyone, the river began eating under the road. Finally,half the road fell away, leaving enough space fr single file traffic beside a deadly precipice. They've sorted the river so the road is dry and drivable. However, it's dangerously narrow. So the road directly from the motorway (El Abanico, Autpista Duarte) to Constanza is closed at night from aproximately 8pm until 7am, until further notice. We who live here (Constanza) believe they now have to build a bridge, hopefully soon.

Meanwhile, the alternative route is Jarabacoa to La Palma, thence to Constanza. The road is better now than a few weeks ago but is dangerous in places, where obvious or less obvious holes mean that it can break away if driving too near to the side. Always drive near the centre of the road unless traffic prevents it. At night, never drive faster than a speed that allows you to stop within 10 to 15 feet, as that's all the warning you'll get (if concentrating) that you are at risk of driver over an edge.

The only other drivable route (bycar) is via San jose de Ocoa but this is a 4 or more hour journey (the other two take an hour each). From Ocoa, the road forks near Constanza, to pass either Aguas Blancas (watch out for the new bar there, opening soon) or Rio Grande. The latter is a much shorter route but the winding road with a rock face on the left MUST be driven very slowly, hugging the left hand side when rounding all bends. The right hand side is a treacherous precipice (I know because I drove over it in my Hi-Luxe) with a 1km drop and precious little to prevent you falling all the way. Notwithstanding the stated risks, the route via Rio Grande is the better to take as it is much sorter and mostly easier to drive. The forget at the end is negotiable even by cars unless the river is in flood but there are always helpful locals nearby to help push you out.

Cheers.

solisdad2000

Aug 31, 2005
Well they've now channelled the new river under the road so the road is passable both day and night time, so is now open all hours (until he next problem). It's only one car wide so there's a game of bluff when two vehicles each want to pass in different directions but if you don't know the rules of Domincana Driving Bluff, just give way and wait until there's a gap in the traffic.

Most of the road is being resurfaced so things will improve month by month. The improvements will theoretically include all of El Abanico to Constanza and also eventually on to El Convento (where visitors can turn left to Aguas Blancas). The original plans to improve El Convento to San Jose de Ocoa have been scrapped - this was effectively an improvement to the road through the National Park but it's been scrapped so as not to increase the number of tourists driving through the park - my guess s that there's an avrage of about one tourist car a day at present - the perceived increase in cars could damage the environment, they thought.)

(Incidentally, I read in another post that the road from Ocoa to Constanza is a dirt road cum donkey track. OK - it isn't a Grade 1 road but it is mostly very passable, except a couple of places wher some real care is required, and it's one hell of a lot better than it was 12 years ago!!! Despite the other writers insistence that the road is even a challenge for 4-wheel drive vehcles, assomeone who owns both 4-wheel and 2-wheel drive cars and who lves locally, I know the road is passable even in a 2-wheel drive car, unless it's just rained heavily in which case I don't recommend driving the route at all. After passing out of the national park at the only manned gate (at the North end), keep left at what looks like the next junction (it's about 1 mnute further on) and then stick hard to the left on any of the tight curves remembering to honk your horn - the precipice on the right is dangerous and encroaches into the road at a couple of places just after left hand bends. This is not a road to drive on at night!!!).

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Night driving from the Constanza to the Autopiste was the most scary drive ever! Day driving was not fun either.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm surprised at the shoddy engineering and construction work in this country, it half makes me want to start my own company and show them how to do it.