villas karibik burglary

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl.r

Oct 22, 2007
a theft has taken place in villas karibik approx 2 hours ago, sneak thief entered a house, this afternoon and stole a quantity of jewellery, 2 cameras, video camera and a firearm.
dr1ers in the area please be aware and vigilant

Reactions: j&t's future

IslandPrincess

Jun 16, 2008
too close for comfort

I am feeling less and less comfortable in Sosua these days. Is it just me or has it gotten worse in the last 6 months? Or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention before...:ermm:

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
I believe somebody suggested this may happen some time ago.
Less tourists, less money in town so more burglary’s = not a good situation.

Be carefull out there.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Just check out the WestenUnion offices. Where they were packed full with people receiving their "remesa" from family abroad the whole day thru, these offices now are at times quite empty. Even some of the workers take times out.
Most low income Dominican families relied (too) heavily on that "income" which is now drying out as it came from mostly informal workers abroad which are about the first hit by the slowing economy in those countries. Some even are coming home because they can't survive there anymore. Many of the lazy brothers and cousins are not too much used to the idea of real work and now struggle and find it only OK to then "take" what they deem ought to be "theirs" anyway where others have too much (the Robin Hood syndrome).

... J-D.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I agree J-D,this is unfortunately happening on all levels of the workforce abroad... from informal restaurant workers, to the IT consulting guys. I had this conversation with an employee in my building in NYC, he told me he can no longer afford to send "home" what he used to send, and is indeed worried about the uptick in crime in his mother's barrio in SDQ. So it is no limited to the tourist areas.

Lower remittances = Higher crime

Last edited:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I agree J-D,this is unfortunately happening on all levels of the workforce abroad... from informal restaurant workers, to the IT consulting guys. I had this conversation with an employee in my building in NYC, he told me he can no longer afford to send "home" what he used to send, and is indeed worried about the uptick in crime in his mother's barrio in SDQ. So it is no limited to the tourist areas.

Lower remittances = Higher crime

That's what I meant to say, Tambo. I did not intend to limit it to touristy areas... You have a better way with words too.

The thing with the touristy regions however is, that "kids" around them, have gotten used to "get by" quite comfortably doing next to nothing and gotten used to some "luxuries"-become vital "necessities" like a stupidly expensive 50cents base ball cap and fancy cell phones, things, they have grown to believe they could not live with anymore.
As some foreigners here are increasingly getting short of money too, the fringe benefits from their sisters and other "esposas" are getting fewer too.
They don't understand what's going on and feel they are not getting anymore what they grew up to believe was due to them.
The numbers just change... here, it's a safe, thousands of pesos, a flat screen tv... where in the barrios it's just that ol' tube TV, a hen, the cat or a couple of hundreds of Pesos or some old mom, coming home from the WestenUnion office... maybe now even empty handed.

Thanks! ... J-D.

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
would you not call these isolated incidents ? does one burglary make a whole town unsafe ???
i'm not condoning this but let's not get carried away.

Reactions: FernieBee

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I am feeling less and less comfortable in Sosua these days. Is it just me or has it gotten worse in the last 6 months? Or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention before...:ermm:

and u wrote 10 days ago about the DR1 Paranoia:

"Why is everyone here??

The DR is a developing country, still a long ways from the formal legal structure of the United States, Canada or Western Europe. Many thing are going to go unreported in the news, tourists will be be exploited & people who have a deeply in bedded culture will continue to live there lives, according to what they know(and don't know). For me, although it can be frustrating at times, this is what makes this Island beautiful, and is more or less the reason I moved here. Don't try to fight or change it, or even be afraid of it. It's a more free way of life. So many people here are paranoid, and 80-% of this forum is dedicated to common complaints of North Americans or Europeans about Dominicans/hatians their culture and the way they handle all situations legal, personal ect. This never will be a mini USA/CANADA/UK. If that's what you want, then why are you here? Enjoy it and Tranquilo!"

?

Everybody that has been here for a while and has some common sense has come to the conclusion, (which me and others already been writing here): "Less hotels and more condos that most of the year is empty, less tourists, less work for the locals, same amount or more (because using a condom seems to be too much hazzle) mouths to feed means more crime. Pure, simple logic. And with a corrupted, imbecile police force it is a huge problem. But then we should not discuss this in this forum.

DR still more pros than cons.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Business as usual!

would you not call these isolated incidents ? does one burglary make a whole town unsafe ???

It's just a figment of our imagination Kyle!

Enjoy the Pedro Clisante Princessas.

terrible tambo'

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the chief of police didnt have far to go to investigate this one anyway- since hes living almost next door

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Just check out the WestenUnion offices. Where they were packed full with people receiving their "remesa" from family abroad the whole day thru, these offices now are at times quite empty. Even some of the workers take times out.
Most low income Dominican families relied (too) heavily on that "income" which is now drying out as it came from mostly informal workers abroad which are about the first hit by the slowing economy in those countries. Some even are coming home because they can't survive there anymore. Many of the lazy brothers and cousins are not too much used to the idea of real work and now struggle and find it only OK to then "take" what they deem ought to be "theirs" anyway where others have too much (the Robin Hood syndrome).

... J-D.

Today I was Listening a radio show in one of the radio station from santiago "enlamanana.com" and they was talking about that Dominicans are sending remesas to the family in NY, and they said that many Dominican yorks are ready to go back home as they can't find jobs in La gran manzana.

JJ

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
seems ive got all my facts wrong again so please ignore all posts ive made in the past -jrhartley signing out

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
yes thanks I must do that - does anyone know where there is an AA meeting I think I need help- in the mean time I will stick to just reading

Reactions: Bronxboy
May 5, 2007
seems ive got all my facts wrong again so please ignore all posts ive made in the past -jrhartley signing out

Some, for differing reason, will never admit there is a crime problem

The old thought "There is none as blind as those that will not see"

JR, you are on target and even the naysayers know it, they won't admit it

Maybe when a couple thieves get clocked with a 12 gauge and it makes the front page things will slow down?

Reactions: jrhartley

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
... DR still more pros than cons.

I don't think anybody is saying the contrary. After all, most of us ARE here.
But it's worth wile considering and discussing the "cons" currently on the raise and to investigate what the trigger(s) is or are and maybe what we can do against it or in order to protect ourselves.

yes thanks I must do that - does anyone know where there is an AA meeting I think I need help- in the mean time I will stick to just reading

Well, if anybody doubted about the economy being bad, I had hoped it would never get so bad ol' JR would see himself forced considering joining AA just to get off the booze and save. :bored: Thing which may further adversely affect the local economy heavily depending on the revenues and jobs from local brewing and distilling companies. What is to become of this county now? :surprised

:D

erm... have you read the WHOLE Forum lately, like some unrelated incidents recently posted on the Living Forum too?

Then, you might want to continue reading on the other language Forums, too.

Finally, not everybody posts on Forums... so... at the current rate of about one post every few days... you know, Sosua is a small town.
And as I was reminded, it's not just Sosua... and not all as visible to many of the foreign residents.

I am not advocating hysteria, but it is worrisome, as the underlining situation is only getting worse.

... J-D.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
My building has two night porters who are brothers who alternate. The one who wasn't working tonight left his day job as a wachiman at a bank today at 5 PM and was held up at gunpoint by four men in a car on Independencia in Santo Domigo at the foot of Padre Pe?a as he waited for a guagua. They didn't hurt him but they took what he had which wasn't much.

One of them said let's kill him but the other three talked him out of it.

A neighbor in the building observed that it sounded like cops who've been kicked off the police force.

Boys and girls bleep is happening that wasn't very common a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.